Free at last . . . again!

El Magnifico Loco

Dryer sheet wannabe
Hello all. I'm a long time reader (lurker) of this forum, and recently retired for the 2nd time. After retiring at Age 54 and being spectacularly happy for 2 years, I decided after to return to the working world in a leadership position at a multi national. Fortunately, after 4 years, sanity returned and I am now back in the blissful FIRE state at the ripe young age of 60.

DW (also retired) and I have 2 kids, both in college. Their education is fully funded through 529 plans. Our assets are $6M+, invested in broad based index funds (60%) and individual bonds/preferred stocks/MLP's (30%) and cash (10%). Assets were built through a LBYM lifestyle and a low cost KISS investing approach. Not that we haven't made more than our share of investing mistakes! Like selling at the bottom, investing in markets we really didn't understand, etc.

Plan is to limit future investing mistakes (brilliant strategy, no?), and gradually increase asset allocation to 75% stocks by age 70, since SS will have kicked in and we will be essentially investing for our kids.

While I know everyone is different, and people react differently to the FIRE'd state, I think the blissful feeling of NO deadlines, NO commitments, NO pressure and NO worries/stress is hard to beat! The biggest challenge I can foresee is replacing the almost singular focus for the last 25 years of GETTING to the FIRE'd state with something else. But for right now, I am content in knowing we have the freedom to explore new paths, and that it's 5 o'clock somewhere!

Cheers!

El

Welcome, El! Sounds like your return to the w*rking world paid off nicely. We look forward to you sharing your adventures with us!

Congrats on your renewed freedom and I look forward to hearing more from you. Sounds like you've got your financial aspects covered.

Can you explain how good the 2 years were from age 54?!

They were even better than now! If for no other reason that I was 4-6 years younger! People keep saying age is just a number. The problem is there are fewer numbers ahead of us. And the bigger ones typically come with health issues.

During my "1st" ER, we traveled, did a major house rehab, spent quality time with our high school kids and confirmed my DW would not kill me for being underfoot. I (foolishly) returned to work, I think because I wanted to see if I still "had it". Little did I know I had it during ER and then lost it! Now it's back.

The biggest advantages I had during the 1st ER (and now 2nd/last ER) was a tremendously supportive family and the knowledge we would be OK financially even if the market tanked again. With these two major worries out of the way (and of course good health), one can enjoy what life brings. At least that's my theory.

El

Back
Top Bottom