Join Early Retirement Today

friendlygirl makin' the leap
Old 06-26-2002, 02:07 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

friendlygirl makin' the leap

Hi there. Making the jump from TMF's board. (Technically I am also on yahoo and msn, too, but who can keep up?!)

I am a newbie to the work world, but I'm hoping to make it a short trip to FI. I'm 24 and just graduated with my masters in physics last year. Planning to go back to get my PhD in a couple of years and enter the wonderful world of academia (read: low pay ).

Since I figured this was my first "real job" and my first opportunity to actually make enough money to save anything, I started boning up on personal finance last summer. Paired with the fact that I got a 4x increase in my pay from grad student to "grown-up," LBMM hasn't been too hard and I have been able to save a fair amount already.

While I am planning to return to the career I love and be a total workaholic, I would like to be financially independent one day so I am trying to continue learning a lot about investing and financial planning. Guess I bring a different perspective to the discussion. Anyway, hope you don't mind an aspirant hanging around trying to gain a few pearls of wisdom. (There are some hanging around here, right? )

friendlygirl

BTW- So far this seems like a nice board format. Any chance we can get all the traffic to centralize here (hint hint, intercst), instead of continuing to be flung to the four winds?
friendlygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: friendlygirl makin' the leap
Old 06-26-2002, 02:32 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via Yahoo to RedOscar

friendlygirl,

I envy your opportunity to start developing a plan towards FI at such a young age. When I was coming out of college, FI was the last thing on my mind. I suppose we just stumbled onto it because my wife and I never tried to live above our means. We were diligent savers. After 26 years of 7A-5P, I suddenly found myself faced with the opportunity and desire to RE.

Today there are such wonderful tools available to help individuals plan for the future. I believe forums such as this can be one of them. Two other internet sites I enjoy are Paul Merriman's <www.fundadvice.com> and <www.soundinvesting.com>. His primary message to investors is diversify and keep expenses low. Check them out if you are so inclined.

Good luck for your future. Your Pot O' Gold awaits you!

Red
RedOscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2002, 04:55 PM   #3
Dryer sheet wannabe

Hey friendlygirl,

Just curious what got you thinking about FI at such a young age. I'm 27 myself and for me it was a combination I believe at this point watching my dad lose his job when I was in college and really struggling and the first time about 1 yr. into my corporate career that I realized form didn't follow function.

Or put better, 99% of my time is spent doing non-value added activites so that some guy at the top can get rich while they tell me they can't afford to give me a cost of living increase.

Sounds bitter but I just value my time too much and want to be in control of it.

goinfishin is offline   Reply With Quote