Join Early Retirement Today

Getting Bored
Old 10-26-2006, 08:42 AM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Getting Bored

I am brand new to this forum. I'm 37 and semi-retired from a Wall Street career, now living in NJ. I am not married yet, but spending time with my girlfriend when she is not working. I spend my time in the morning trading stocks, since I am basically living off of my investment income right now, and will jump in the ocean to surf whenever there are waves here in NJ. Otherwise, I am starting to get bored. I have attempted to volunteer at a couple of places, which has not exactly panned out yet. I live by myself, and am looking for something more to do during the day. I have been trying to find something part-time to do during the week, but have not found many opportunities in Monmouth County. Just looking for ideas. Thanks!
Laird is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Getting Bored
Old 10-26-2006, 08:57 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

There is absolutely no reason to be bored in life.

Make a "Things To Do Before I Die" list in Excel or Word. I guarantee that as time goes by, your list will get longer, even as you do some of the items on your list.

I can't manage to keep up with my list
Old 10-26-2006, 09:48 AM   #3

Welcome, laird. Lessee...do you get jazzed by being with people? If so, there are many things to do that include others...from bridge club to Sierra Club, from Meals on Wheels to fundraising for your favorite cause. If you're curious/studious, you can study anything from African drumming to Sarbanes-Oxley to the bugs in your backyard. You could help others get their financial act together by volunteering at your local Senior Center or starting a financial blog. You could start rapping or bluegrass fiddling, or take up ballroom dancing, photography, or the kazoo You could become a docent at your favorite aquarium, museum, or historical house--or become an expert and offer free tours of the sights in your county. You could offer to organize your best friend's CD collection, your grandmother's old letters, your brother's hall closet. You could work on becoming more fit and eating better. Climb some mountains, ford some streams, watch some butterflies, see the world. Or...you could always get an ordinary job
Old 10-26-2006, 10:09 AM   #4

As Nords says around here - "You are now responsible for your own entertainment"

Once you get the hang of it, it will be quite easy. Remember when you were working, your life was dictated by your company's goals. Now that you don't have to work, you can focus on your goals and desires.

Sit down, make a list of what makes you happy and what you'd like to achieve.

Then start living! 8) - Most people working are not making a living, they are making a dying.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:15 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm bored too. But I'm still working full time. Doing the same old @%$ over and over. Problem will be solved in 5 months and 5 days though. I was working out of town yesterday at one of our stores and I was asked by an old time employee(72 years old ) if I would get bored playing golf all the time. I about fell out of my chair laughing.

It's all about what you enjoy in life.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:17 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Welcome to the forum, Laird I haven't been retired long, but at present I'm trying to catch up on my to do list that I've neglected for the past 5 years, and at this rate it will take me a couple of years to complete. When I do find the time, what I'd really like to do is
- start practicing that guitar that purchased 3.5 years ago.
- restore that car I left in the garage 17 years ago.
- try to loose some of that weight I've gain since retiring.
- get together with some neighbors and friends I haven't seen in about 8 months.
- catch up on about 15 movies that I meant to watch last year.
- learn how to play poker so I can join in at family gatherings.

Well this list goes on.

I think there have been a lot of good suggestions so far, it's a good start.

Keep us posted.
Old 10-26-2006, 12:13 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird
I spend my time in the morning trading stocks, since I am basically living off of my investment income right now, and will jump in the ocean to surf whenever there are waves here in NJ. Otherwise, I am starting to get bored.
You surf and you're bored?!?

Oh, wait, I see the problem. New Jersey.

You need to replicate that lifestyle in Florida (Kelly Slater grounds), California, or Hawaii. Then you'll be spending all your time either surfing, coming back from surfing, or getting ready to go out again.

The nice thing about surfing in Hawaii is that the market opens & closes five-six hours earlier than your current time zone...

As for the boredom part, you have to be responsible for your I see Cut-Throat is already quoting me. I'd hate to think that it's necessary to achieve fulfillment within the office's structured environment and the cubicle's confines...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 04:15 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I'll Galt repeat one of my favorite phrases...

"When I'm bored, I never think 'I wish I was at work'"... :P

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 04:33 PM   #9

I FIRED in May. . Since then DH have traveled to Mystic Conn. and
Mesa Verde Co. Got a new kitchen put in, did some major decluttering of the house (still working on that) I bought an Indian flute and am learning to play. Learned to ride a motor scooter (beat getting a second car just for short hops.) We have enjoyed going out to the movies and dinner on week nights and are enjoying all the cultural activities that a city like Philadelphia has to offer (and we get to go mid week while everyone else is at…. you know…

People are always asking us " What do you do with yourself all day now that your retired?" The days get filled believe me. I spend more time with my family now, which means a lot now that my parents are up in age, how much more time will I have with them? I can run errands for my siblings that they can't because they are still at…..you know.

Life is what you make it. DH and I are making the most of it now that work is no longer in the way.

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
Old 10-26-2006, 04:53 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Often being bored says more about your current mood than the opportunities for activities.
Old 10-26-2006, 06:59 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Marry that girl and have some kids. Not the same kind of thrill as surfing, but it will fill up your time most amazingly. Or do the Madonna thing and adopt one.
lifeisgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 07:52 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeisgood
Or do the Madonna thing and adopt one.
Nah, don't go out like that. Madonna is about the latest "Celeb Fashion Accessory" and keeping her over the hill behind in the press.

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:44 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Maybe it is something to do with living in NJ?
Old 10-27-2006, 06:39 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy
Maybe it is something to do with living in NJ?

But seriously ladies & germs, my NJ brother who FIREd plays jazz violin and is a studio backup musician on said instrument plus electric bass, used to be a really good tennis player (till he lost much of his eyesight to severely torn retinas), chaired the board of his local arts center, and is now running for mayor of his town! And he was a dentist! His wife--a trained accountant, no less--is a painter (on canvas, not houses ).

Yes, even in NJ there is creativity and happy retirement.
Old 10-27-2006, 06:44 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by astromeria

Yes, even in NJ there is creativity and happy retirement.
And The Sopranos.

JG
Old 10-28-2006, 07:18 AM   #16
Dryer sheet wannabe

Hi Laird,

I can relate to the difficulties in finding a good match for volunteer work. It can take awhile. There are some online vol matching sites that might help. United way has one, points of light, volunteer match, etc.

best wishes
WFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 08:21 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Pick up your local newspapers and read thru the calendar of events - you may see some activities to get involved in that you hadn't thought of before. In our area there is a group that cleans and identifies artifacts from shipwrecks. I look forward to doing that as well as many other things. Skydiving? Swing dancing (jitter-bug) is a LOT of fun! Start a surfing club or mentor's program. Go to thrift stores and try to collect items to sell on eBay for kicks. Travel, travel, travel.

Open your mind -- you can do it!

Good luck!

Jane
Old 10-30-2006, 03:17 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

You are retired from Wall Street so I imagine you're a competitive person,..especially with yourself. You obviously like outdoor stuff so give rock climbing a try. There are some great places 45 minutes from New York and you live in an area where rock gyms are pretty close. I know it's tough to pick up and move to Hawaii, California, etc., but take a hiatus and spend a month there.
If you decide you like climbing, hiking, kayaking, etc. then do a NOLS course (look at their online website for opportunities. You obviously have the time and money to do one of these courses and if you're new to one of these sports their course will give you the basic skill sets needed to be safe and excel.
I'm jealous!
Have fun
Scout
Old 10-31-2006, 07:58 PM   #19
Confused about dryer sheets

Thanks to everyone for the kind replies and suggestions. I think that I just need a little nudge in the right direction every once in a while. I am visiting L.A. right now and considering buying a small business that makes surf boards. I have always wanted to be my own boss, and surfing is certainly a passion of mine. Not bad being in So Cal instead of NJ during the winter months!!
Laird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 10:04 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Laird,

Keep goiing west. When you get to Hawaii, look up an old surfer dude with a pony tail and a knee brace and say hi for me.

Gypsy