Join Early Retirement Today

Getting ready, but with mixed feelings
Old 09-20-2020, 04:12 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Hello all,

this is an attempt to become active in this community. I am reaching a milestone birthday shortly, and am starting to wonder when (or if) to retire and all things connected to that. I have been following this forum occasionally as a lurker, but now may have to become more serious about engaging also actively.

Currently I hold an engineering/enginerding job and am overall happy with my profession. However, I notice that as time passes, I am getting more and more annoyed with ever increasing paperwork (we need a new term for that considering we are moving away from paper) and also office politics. Also, the overall niceness of co-workers and bosses seems to declining (Or is it my own niceness that is declining? Or am I just starting to see things that I earlier overlooked? Or am I just getting paranoid in these times of Covid?).

In any case, ER is something I am starting to consider more and more seriously. It's not the core part of my work that's bothering me though, and that is why I am quite torn.
Greddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2020, 04:16 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Jump in. The water’s fine!
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 04:21 PM   #3
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Jump in. The water’s fine!
But I am in the San Francisco Bay Area! The water here is usually freeeeeeezing
Old 09-20-2020, 04:40 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If you wish to provide any financial details, we can offer some advise on where you stand.
Nevertheless, welcome officially to our wonderful forum.
Old 09-20-2020, 05:29 PM   #5
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
If you wish to provide any financial details, we can offer some advise on where you stand.
Nevertheless, welcome officially to our wonderful forum.
Ok, am approaching the big 5-0, very roughly $1M in RE (doesn't mean much in the SF East Bay), roughly $2M pre-tax in 403b, and roughly $300k post tax. May eventually move away from the Bay Area after ER (the water is too cold to jump in, and there are the fires, the virus, and the traffic). My guess is this should be roughly enough, but I suppose I have to do some FireCalcing etc...

But besides the finances, the big question is, what ways are there to reduce the bs component (annoying colleagues and annoying tasks). Perhaps I am just getting too sensitive about it all, and then I could just continue in my job, which in principle I quite like and which I view as my anti-Alzheimer regimen...

Are there more narcissists now than earlier? Or are my narcissist allergies just flaring up more than earlier? In which case, is there some kind of Benadryl?
You may need to focus...
Old 09-20-2020, 05:53 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

You may need to focus...

I would strongly encourage you to retire TO something, rather than FROM something. In your brief introduction you mention what keeps you unhappy during the week...but no mention of family, hobbies, stuff that makes you HAPPY!!!

Spend some time thinking about how you want to spend your days...and your nights...and your weekends. You will have 40-50 years of being unemployed, if you wish, and you need to feel relevant. Volunteer, learn to paint, or play an instrument? How about traveling the world? What country do you wan to spend those 50 years in?

Start with that stuff, and keep asking questions of this group, as many of us have gone through the same process...
levindb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 06:05 PM   #7
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by levindb View Post
I would strongly encourage you to retire TO something, rather than FROM something. In your brief introduction you mention what keeps you unhappy during the week...but no mention of family, hobbies, stuff that makes you HAPPY!!!

Spend some time thinking about how you want to spend your days...and your nights...and your weekends. You will have 40-50 years of being unemployed, if you wish, and you need to feel relevant. Volunteer, learn to paint, or play an instrument? How about traveling the world? What country do you wan to spend those 50 years in?

Start with that stuff, and keep asking questions of this group, as many of us have gone through the same process...
Yes, that's a very good point. One aspect is that I really like my work, and I always had the model that I never retire at all and just keep on working, and once it is without pay, just by focusing on the things I find interesting. Many researchers are actually like that, their work becomes their passion. Think Indiana Jones once he can escape the classroom.

I am currently happily together with a partner who is in a similar situation, except he is perhaps not quite as disillusioned about the practical aspects of the job environment, he may perhaps be more thick skinned, or he is more lucky with the environment he is in. We may just stay here in the Bay Area after ER, which in the past has been our favorite place with lots of things we are interested in, both around here and in San Francisco; but this idea is getting more and more cloudy with the orange clouds of the forest fires, and the overall decrease of life's enjoyment due to virus (hopefully temporary), worse and worse traffic, and more and more overcrowding.

But you are right, these questions of the "TO" and the "FOR WHAT" are indeed looming large, and that's why I think I am still early in the process.
Old 09-20-2020, 06:30 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greddy View Post
Ok, am approaching the big 5-0, very roughly $1M in RE (doesn't mean much in the SF East Bay), roughly $2M pre-tax in 403b, and roughly $300k post tax. May eventually move away from the Bay Area after ER (the water is too cold to jump in, and there are the fires, the virus, and the traffic). My guess is this should be roughly enough, but I suppose I have to do some FireCalcing etc...

But besides the finances, the big question is, what ways are there to reduce the bs component (annoying colleagues and annoying tasks). Perhaps I am just getting too sensitive about it all, and then I could just continue in my job, which in principle I quite like and which I view as my anti-Alzheimer regimen...

Are there more narcissists now than earlier? Or are my narcissist allergies just flaring up more than earlier? In which case, is there some kind of Benadryl?
Try Firecalc and some of the results. Not enough info to hazard a guess.
People do appear to be a little more abrupt and less polite at times these days.
Perhaps a mix of Covid stuff/deep political divide. Who knows....
Old 09-20-2020, 06:35 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Become an independent consultant. Make more money doing short term contractors (6 mo, 8 mo) while avoiding annoying co-workers & office politics.
retired1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 07:13 PM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired1 View Post
Make more money doing short term contractors
Sounds like fun, where do I sign up?
stepford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 08:18 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
..... But besides the finances, the big question is, what ways are there to reduce the bs component (annoying colleagues and annoying tasks). Perhaps I am just getting too sensitive about it all, and then I could just continue in my job, which in principle I quite like and which I view as my anti-Alzheimer regimen...

I downshifted to part-time for a number of years before I retired. Initially, 80% and then 50%... back to 80% for a special project for a client and then back to 50% until I resigned. At our firm, it was x% of pay, x% of bonuses, x% vacation pay, etc... the only thing that was different was health insurance... none for 49% or less but employer provided for 50% or more.

The nice thing about being part-time was that I could opt out of some of the bureaucratic BS. I recall one time that someone was pressuring me to do some bureaucratic BS thing that I thought was a true waste of time... I called my boss and told him that at 50% he had 1,000 hours a year of pb4uski time and did he really want to spend some of that pb4uski time on the objectionable task.... he said "hell no"... I responded that I thought that was a wise decision and he paved the way for me to be relieved of it.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 08:45 PM   #12
Dryer sheet aficionado

Greedy,

I was much like you. In tech, getting paid well, an expert at what I was doing, leading a global team, but the paperwork and office politics were never ending.

Once I decided I was leaving, much of the politics ended since I was no longer worried about losing my job. That lasted about 1 year. Once I actually left all the crap just ended. I don't miss it at all!

Others here can advise better on if you are financially prepared. I just wanted to say I shared your thoughts on leaving.
AZ2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 08:56 PM   #13
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ2020 View Post
Greedy,

I was much like you. In tech, getting paid well, an expert at what I was doing, leading a global team, but the paperwork and office politics were never ending.

Once I decided I was leaving, much of the politics ended since I was no longer worried about losing my job. That lasted about 1 year. Once I actually left all the crap just ended. I don't miss it at all!

Others here can advise better on if you are financially prepared. I just wanted to say I shared your thoughts on leaving.
Thanks, it's good to hear that I am not the only one with such thoughts. Also it is encouraging to hear that even if one now feels quite embedded in one's work, one can actually disconnect from it. I will have to think about this part much more, right now I think that for me, my work is also my hobby, and so I currently feel reluctant to think I may let it all go.

P.S.: Perhaps the spellchecker played a trick on you, my name on this forum is actually Greddy; and I am not particularly greedy I think.
Old 09-20-2020, 09:08 PM   #14
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired1 View Post
Become an independent consultant. Make more money doing short term contractors (6 mo, 8 mo) while avoiding annoying co-workers & office politics.
This is also something I have been thinking about, and it may be a realistic possibility. Right now my concern is that lining up these gigs itself may require a certain amount of bs-ing to get the foot in the door, and to meet exactly the requirements they are interested in. I am trying to get a better sense if I could do consulting for my current employer, which may be the simplest since they know me well.
Old 09-20-2020, 09:10 PM   #15
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post

The nice thing about being part-time was that I could opt out of some of the bureaucratic BS. I recall one time that someone was pressuring me to do some bureaucratic BS thing that I thought was a true waste of time... I called my boss and told him that at 50% he had 1,000 hours a year of pb4uski time and did he really want to spend some of that pb4uski time on the objectionable task.... he said "hell no"... I responded that I thought that was a wise decision and he paved the way for me to be relieved of it.
That sounds like a good idea if they let you do it, during part time opt out of the bs if they let you do it, and continue doing the interesting stuff.
Old 09-20-2020, 09:18 PM   #16
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
People do appear to be a little more abrupt and less polite at times these days. Perhaps a mix of Covid stuff/deep political divide. Who knows....
This is actually bothering me currently; there is a new colleague who constantly wants to dominate discussions, although to the long term insiders it's fairly clear that what he is producing is mostly hot air. Nevertheless one has to spend time to "officially" debunk some of the strange ideas he brings and document why it wouldn't work. But then he gets all defensive; and so it all takes a lot of mental energy. Probably adding up the effort that all the others are expanding to straighten him out is more than the hours he productively (or even non-productively) contributes to the project. And the anguish about the bs of it all then follows me home and interferes with my free time.
Old 09-20-2020, 09:45 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

If your frustration is largely with a single individual, perhaps helping him appreciate how his considerable skills would be a godsend say, over THERE, in another group/dept (assuming your company is big enough) might free up a little space in your head. Nothing like helping an annoying colleague move on down the road....

I also second the part-time move strategy - I did that for years before I retired and it really helped me have a more easygoing vibe at work.
Old 09-20-2020, 09:45 PM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

Once I decided I had enough $ to quit, work became more fun, saying no thanks to the things I did not like and speaking my mind without serious consequence. Have not worked for two years now. All is fine.
captain3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 07:05 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

I"m an EE and worked for 20 years. I went to my boss with the following demands cut back to 80% of time (I took 4 day weekend every other week), I want limited travel as I was on the road 50% of my time. Also told my boss no more running big projects, I just want to review others technical work or give me small projects for a couple of clients and I can not be judged if I say no to anything. They agreed to that, also if they wanted me longer then a few years I want to work remote 100%, was denied on that one.

The demands I came up with worked for me took a lot of the BS out of work and I got some time off. Quit cause I had enough money and moved out of state.
nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 09:27 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

OP--
Welcome to the forum! You can learn tremendous things here, I know I have.
It sounds like your "BS bucket" is starting to get full, that is a signal to many.

Run and re-run Firecalc with different scenarios.
Answer the questions in the FAQ section "Can I retire Yet?"
A good book is Ernie Zelinski "How to retire Wild, Happy and Free"

Part time may be a good option for you.
Best of Luck and keep posting any questions, concerns, etc!