Join Early Retirement Today

getting ready to leave Vancouver BC
Old 10-08-2006, 12:05 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

getting ready to leave Vancouver BC

we just sold our condo, I hope at the peak. We will wait a few months and then move up the coast to a small town called Powell River.

Our plan is to live on the extra money made from the sale after we buy a much cheaper place. We can llive on that for about 5 years and in that time I can continue to do my business, online and flying down once a month for a couple of days,(but not at Christmas or in the summer)

My dh will do whatever, undetermined.

Then we will crack into our savings after that and move on to government pensions.

We will see how it all goes. Worst case scenario, we can do some more work, but I don't think we will needto.

Happy to be here.
kally is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: getting ready to leave Vancouver BC
Old 10-08-2006, 12:13 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome back, Kally! Good to hear from you.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 12:14 PM   #3
Dryer sheet aficionado

Congratulations Kally
I'm going to google Powell River and check it out. The internet is great for flexibility in running a business, still being productive and for the flexibilty on how we live our lives.
Old 10-08-2006, 12:33 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Good for you, Kally! I look forward to hearing about the next step in your FIRE adventure.
Old 10-08-2006, 12:34 PM   #5

thanks gang. It is such a leap of faiith, but what can we lose. I mean we are both educated and could pull together some kind of work. Plus we have a home paid off. So, off we go.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:56 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan

I know someone who moved from Burnaby to Bowser (Qualicum area) for much the same reasons. Her business is thriving (5 years later) and her costs are substantially less. She missed the big runup in Burnaby housing but then Bowser has been going up too.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:35 AM   #7

As I read more posts I see some people have a LOT of money when they retire and some people have a LITTLE money. Can someone direct me to posts about someone here who is more on the LITTLE side of money, rather than the big money.

I know everyone has diffferent needs and lifestyles, but I am interested in a fairly frugal semi-retirement and I am wondering who else is working on that. THanks
Old 10-12-2006, 09:17 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kally
As I read more posts I see some people have a LOT of money when they retire and some people have a LITTLE money. Can someone direct me to posts about someone here who is more on the LITTLE side of money, rather than the big money.
I know everyone has diffferent needs and lifestyles, but I am interested in a fairly frugal semi-retirement and I am wondering who else is working on that. THanks
You could look up just about anything by UncleMick, who holds the board's record on minimizing ER expenses. Kitty does as well and also has a very entertaining blog about her farm.

The Kaderlis are doing it on about $2000/month with frequent overseas travel & extended stays in low-cost countries. They post here as "Billy" and have a website at http://www.retireearlylifestyle.com/.

Bob Clyatt's "Work Less, Live More" delves into the semi-retirement options, and Simple Living's forums (http://www.simpleliving.net/forums/default.asp?CAT_ID=3) will give you a graduate degree in frugality. A note of caution, however, we're pretty frugal ourselves and we still see some of these zealots leaping over the line from "frugal" to "severe deprivation".

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

Old 10-12-2006, 11:10 AM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
You could look up just about anything by UncleMick, who holds the board's record on minimizing ER expenses. Kitty does as well and also has a very entertaining blog about her farm.

The Kaderlis are doing it on about $2000/month with frequent overseas travel & extended stays in low-cost countries. They post here as "Billy" and have a website at http://www.retireearlylifestyle.com/.

Bob Clyatt's "Work Less, Live More" delves into the semi-retirement options, and Simple Living's forums (http://www.simpleliving.net/forums/default.asp?CAT_ID=3) will give you a graduate degree in frugality. A note of caution, however, we're pretty frugal ourselves and we still see some of these zealots leaping over the line from "frugal" to "severe deprivation".
Very disappointed to be left off this list Nords. I do admit I never
got down to unclemick's all-time board record number though.

JG
Old 10-12-2006, 03:22 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._johngalt
Very disappointed to be left off this list Nords. I do admit I never got down to unclemick's all-time board record number though.
I'm not sorry to disappoint you, as I feel you have no useful advice to contribute other than to live off the income of a spouse. But that's just my opinion.

You consistently attempt to give the impression that you've ER'd on brains & guts. However you also appear to consistently leave out the spouse income, the dumpster diving, the credit-card balance-transfer offers, and the corporate tax-loss carryforwards. But if this is what kally has in mind then I'm sure you'll get a chance to offer your guidance.

Old 10-12-2006, 04:59 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Not to be disagreeable . . . but I enjoy JG's posts. Wouldn't recommend them as advice for anyone else (I don't think that he would either, but I could be wrong). Nevertheless, I think that he has an interesting story to tell.
jeff2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 06:13 PM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
I'm not sorry to disappoint you, as I feel you have no useful advice to contribute other than to live off the income of a spouse. But that's just my opinion.

You consistently attempt to give the impression that you've ER'd on brains & guts. However you also appear to consistently leave out the spouse income, the dumpster diving, the credit-card balance-transfer offers, and the corporate tax-loss carryforwards. But if this is what kally has in mind then I'm sure you'll get a chance to offer your guidance.
You're a real pain in the ass. Plus, you're starting to remind me of my former
"friend" here. This is not a compliment.

JG
Old 10-13-2006, 01:38 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff2006
Not to be disagreeable . . . but I enjoy JG's posts. Wouldn't recommend them as advice for anyone else (I don't think that he would either, but I could be wrong). Nevertheless, I think that he has an interesting story to tell.

I too enjoy reading his posts when seeking ER guidance and IQ served at room temperature, otherwise i scroll over the posts like i step over dog poop.

Welcome Kally - Powell's a great community! ex-Comox resident.
01132008 is offline   Reply With Quote