Join Early Retirement Today

Giving Notices Monday
Old 02-02-2008, 11:02 AM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Giving Notices Monday

Lurked this excellent site for about two years and confirmed that our idea of retiring early wasn't totally insane. I am 54 and wonderful wife is 52.

We've run the numbers and feel like we have a good margin for error (or bad markets, etc) so we're both giving notice Monday. Neither have a pension (my company went to a "cash value" plan several years ago) so we will be living off of our portfolio. It has generated interest & dividends in excess of what we have spent for each of the last three years plus unrealized capital gains. Sold our house and will rent for a year or so.

We are taking a six week trip to the north shore of Oahu to help with the transition. That may just be a rationalization to go to the beach but we're sticking to our guns.
spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2008, 11:32 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Very Nice! Welcome to the board.

Tomcat98
JDARNELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 01:11 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartan View Post
We are taking a six week trip to the north shore of Oahu to help with the transition. That may just be a rationalization to go to the beach but we're sticking to our guns.
Welcome to the board, spartan, and congrats!

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...aii-30671.html

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 06:46 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Welcome and good for you! It's nice when a plan of this magnitude comes together - enjoy your new life.....and freedom!

Donzo
Old 02-04-2008, 06:41 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Way to go Spartan. I'm jealous you took the plunge!!
StJohnsWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 06:51 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Welcome aboard, spartan. Enjoy your retirement and be sure to join back in here after your trip.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:07 AM   #7

Now that's a way to overcome the initial "what will I do all day" concerns!! SIX WEEKS on the beach...very nice.

Welcome to the board, Spartan. (Is this a Michigan State connection?)
Achiever51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 04:06 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartan View Post
Lurked this excellent site for about two years and confirmed that our idea of retiring early wasn't totally insane. I am 54 and wonderful wife is 52.

We've run the numbers and feel like we have a good margin for error (or bad markets, etc) so we're both giving notice Monday. Neither have a pension (my company went to a "cash value" plan several years ago) so we will be living off of our portfolio. It has generated interest & dividends in excess of what we have spent for each of the last three years plus unrealized capital gains. Sold our house and will rent for a year or so.

Congrats Spartan. My wife and I are 51 and 53 and also comfortably FI, but I just can't pull the trigger yet. Although we are both very fit, the unknown of health care spooks us. One of these days...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 07:20 PM   #9

How did it go today?
Marquette is offline   Reply With Quote
follow up
Old 02-05-2008, 10:39 AM   #10

follow up

We did turn in our retirement notices yesterday for later this month. Reaction from peers is positive though most are expressing envy because they aren't in a position to go out early. Laughing that off - telling them I might end up as a "Walmart greeter". It may interest some on the forum to hear that we are going to tell our families tonight. We didn't want to risk word getting to our employers from the community first.

We drank a bottle of inexpensive champagne last night and have a lot of peace with our decision. We're excited about the future.
Not MSU
Old 02-05-2008, 10:53 AM   #11

Not MSU

Welcome to the board, Spartan. (Is this a Michigan State connection?)

-------------------

My school is the U of A (Razorbacks). They would have played Michigan State & Magic for the championship if Larry Bird's Indiana State team hadn't hit a last-second shot in the semifinals. That hurt.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:30 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Good for you Spartan. I believe the phrase was "either return with your shield on one it". The Spartan way of life was much like the US Marines; honor, duty, country, brotherhood, etc.

Your idea to undergo career detox on a beach in Hawaii is excellent planning. You will need a good bit of time to get w*rk out of your systems and to find your new next life. Each day is a day with freedom for you now. Don't over plan anything. Just take your time and unwind. We took off on two diffent RV trips that covered over 10,000 miles over 3 months. We only scratched the surface of the RV world and to see this great country. Once we get the house sold we will be off again for a while.

Good luck and welcome to the FIRE club.