Join Early Retirement Today

Glad I found you! 39 y/o would like to retire ASAP!
Old 12-13-2009, 08:24 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Glad I found you! 39 y/o would like to retire ASAP!

Hi, I stumbled on this site a few days ago after googling "where to invest today" and I'm glad I did! After reading through some of the forum topics I look forward to interacting and I hope to get some advice on how to retire early! I'm a 39 year old USAF officer, married, with two children ages 6 and 13. I plan to retire from the military in 2012 with a pension of approximately $40k/yr. My wife is a teacher and makes $45k/yr. As for assets, we own 3 rental houses with a monthly cash flow of $350/mo. We have approx $100k in IRAs (corporate bonds, Vanguard target 2035 funds), $50k in my TSP (80% G fund/20% target 2035) and $50k in cash. I plan to start another career after leaving the military, but only for as long as needed. I want to make sure we can retire comfortably (#1) and get my kids through college (#2). I hope to retire as early as possible and I'm glad I found others with the same goal in mind. I have a ton of questions, so I'm anxious to get started!
JJtheNav is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2009, 08:28 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

JJ welcome aboard!
Old 12-13-2009, 08:30 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Oh boy, another professional gas passer...

Just kidding, welcome to the forum JJ.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:38 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Welcome to the board, there are several of us present and ex USAF types here. Your portfolio looks very conservative for a guy in your situation. But, you're saving a lot of costs with the Vanguard and TSP route you've chosen--good job.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 08:56 PM   #5
Dryer sheet wannabe

I kept my intro short, but honestly my portfolio is conservative because I pulled out of the market last Feb and went to cash. It was a big mistake, but at the time it seemed right. Because of that, I'm still a bit shell-shocked and I'm not sure the best way to get back into the fight... Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks for the welcome, glad to be with fellow wingmen!
Old 12-13-2009, 09:09 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJtheNav View Post
. . . I pulled out of the market last Feb and went to cash. It was a big mistake, but at the time it seemed right.
Ouch. Well, most of us have learned this same lesson at one time or another. So, if I may ask, what did you decide about things in retrospect?
- "My asset allocation was wrong, I shouldn't have had that much in stocks to begin with. I'll go with a more conservative allocation from now on and settle for likely lower returns."
- "My asset allocation was okay. I think I'll be able to wait out further dips and I want to keep a majority of my assets in stocks"
- "I'm gonna watch things closer and get out before the dip next time. I'm going to buy back into the market and watch for the signals to help me sell at the right time"

We've got devotees of each philosophy here, though probably fewer of #3 than of the others.

So, did you go through UNT at Mather AFB or had the school moved already when you went? If a nav can use a sextant and has used OMEGA I guess he qualifies as a dinosaur these days.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:14 PM   #7
Dryer sheet wannabe

In retrospect, I would go with #2 - "My asset allocation was okay. I think I'll be able to wait out further dips and I want to keep a majority of my assets in stocks"
I let too many people talk me into the doomsday story, I should have known better!

I did UNT at Pensacola NAS & Randolph AFB. (I later went back to instruct at RAFB.) What about you?
Old 12-13-2009, 09:22 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
In retrospect, I would go with #2 - "My asset allocation was okay. I think I'll be able to wait out further dips and I want to keep a majority of my assets in stocks"
I let too many people talk me into the doomsday story, I should have known better!
Great. If you can stick with that even when things look just the same next time, then that's what you should probably do.

Quote:
I did UNT at Pensacola NAS & Randolph AFB. (I later went back to instruct at RAFB.) What about you?
Nope, I only knew a lot of guys who enjoyed Mather and the surrounding area.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:44 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Very similar situation as me. I hit 20 in 2017, and currently we have about 500K or so in IRA/TSP/stocks/mutuals/etc. 3 kids who will eventually be off to college, and a rental property that has about 250k of equity and has cash flow of about $500 a month after taxes.

When did you go through P'cola?
HawkeyeNFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 11:38 AM   #10
Dryer sheet wannabe

Welcome to the site Hawkeye! I went through P'cola in '97, what about you?

Looks like you've done great with your investments, congrats!
Old 01-18-2010, 11:53 AM   #11
gone traveling

Welcome to the forum!

Lots of 39 year olds here..... I've had (12) 39th birthdays myself...
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 08:07 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Welcome to the board, JJ! I think we all questioned our investment strategy when the bottom was falling out...I know that I did, anyway. It sounds like you're doing well so far, despite maybe missing some of the run-up on stocks last year. You have a good emergency fund and you seem to be making good use of the target funds offered by Vanguard and the TSP. I'm curious, though, why so much in the G fund rather than the lifecycle fund?
av8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 12:03 PM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I started OCS in 97, then finished flight school at Pensacola in 98, so I missed you by a year
HawkeyeNFO is offline   Reply With Quote