Join Early Retirement Today

Glad to have found this board!
Old 08-15-2011, 02:26 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Glad to have found this board!

Hello - I'm glad I found you guys! My husband retired about 5 years ago, at 63.5. I waited to retire until he was eligible for Medicare, and finally took that step in May, 2009, by accepting a voluntary layoff. Great decision - we've traveled, been able to escape the heat of our current permanent residence in Mesa, AZ, and I started a couple of online businesses that keep me busy. We are currently considering renting out our home in AZ, and trying out a few places with a view to relocating permanently.

We are blessed with a paid off mortgage, no other debt, and sufficient finances to keep us going (unless we get really stupid). Our biggest, most worrisome problem is health insurance for me. I am ten years away from Medicare eligibility, and have pre-existing conditions that eliminate me from individual insurance programs.

In fact, one of the main reasons I established the online businesses was to obtain health insurance through the AZ Small Business Association. And a major part of our decision in regard to relocating will be health insurance related. (we have even considered leaving the country, I'm sorry to say.)

So, I'm sure I'll be asking lots of questions, and hopefully able to contribute to answering some of your questions regarding AZ and maybe some other things that I am familiar with (IRA's, estate planning, food, travel to/from Mexico, traveling with pets, etc.)

Jeanette
ArizonaJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2011, 01:44 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the boards!
Old 08-17-2011, 02:33 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Welcome AZ, I've been reading some blogs lately that talk about doing housesitting assignments to get a feel for a new area, have you thought about that?
We've used a housesitter for our own place when we've done traveling in the past, so I wondered if you've considered it.
We have lots of pets, but none we want to travel with!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 06:59 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Welcome, Jeanette.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 02:42 AM   #5
Administrator

Welcome to the forum.

Just as well you like pets, because you'll meet plenty of animals on this site.
Old 08-21-2011, 06:40 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Welcome to the forum Jeanette. Glad to have you on board. I think you'll find it interesting (to say the least) and very informative. Great bunch of people here with lots of experience. Got a problem or question regarding anything? I defy you to come up with something that the these people have not experienced. What a wealth of knowledge available on this forum. Enjoy!
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 01:30 PM   #7
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Welcome AZ, I've been reading some blogs lately that talk about doing housesitting assignments to get a feel for a new area, have you thought about that?
We've used a housesitter for our own place when we've done traveling in the past, so I wondered if you've considered it.
We have lots of pets, but none we want to travel with!
We've never done house sitting - mostly because we have our own dog who travels with us when we are gone for more than just a few weeks. Understandably, most people prefer to hire house sitters who will not be bringing their own pets.

We have done home exchanges - 5 of them total, in 3 different countries - including one for 3 months in Cape Coral, Florida. Which is one of the reasons that we are considering relocating to Florida. We also have spent the last two summers in Ajijic, Mexico in a rental - also discovered this place through home exchanges!
Old 08-24-2011, 01:32 PM   #8
Dryer sheet wannabe

BTW, where would be the appropriate board for questions regarding health insurance for someone below Medicare age?
Old 08-24-2011, 01:39 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJay View Post
BTW, where would be the appropriate board for questions regarding health insurance for someone below Medicare age?
If the financial aspect of health insurance is what interests you: FIRE and money

If the health aspect of health insurance is what interests you (discussing specific pre-existing conditions, etc...): Health and Early-retirement

If the political aspect of health insurance is what interests you: FIRE related political topics

Not to worry, if you pick the wrong forum, we'll move your thread to the right location.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 03:46 PM   #10
Dryer sheet wannabe

It's finding health insurance that I'm interested in! I'll start at FIRE and money. Thanks!
Old 08-24-2011, 03:51 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

You might want to read this: http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...nce-30756.html

Some of the info may be a bit dated due to the new healthcare act, but most is still accurate.
Old 08-24-2011, 03:56 PM   #12
Administrator

In addition, the Kaiser Family Foundation has a website with health insurance regulatory information by state here.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote