Government retirement decision

You sound like me (5 years ago) -- good Fed job, good pay, lets of stress. I was planning on staying a couple of years longer but when I hit 56 with 30 years and became eligible the BS/stress factor seemed to suddenly weigh more heavily than before. I gave my notice in September and left at the end of the year. Never regretted that decision.

Gave Notice Today

Thanks for the comments. After thinking about this for several months and observing the increasing frequency of stressful events after some organizational changes, I gave notice today and will retire in mid-October. It will be a big change but the decision was made easier after reading about the experiences of other people on this board. Given the circumstances I don't feel any doubt that this was the right decision -- yet.

I'm looking forward to having the time to do the things I really want to do.

John1954, way to go! I hope you continue to post here and that you have a long and happy retirement!

Good for you John. Don't start second guessing yourself, start living your new life.

Thanks for the comments. After thinking about this for several months and observing the increasing frequency of stressful events after some organizational changes, I gave notice today and will retire in mid-October. It will be a big change but the decision was made easier after reading about the experiences of other people on this board. Given the circumstances I don't feel any doubt that this was the right decision -- yet.

Congrats! :clap::clap::clap:
You're gonna love your new life. :D

If I had to point to 1 single event that made my fed career go rapidly downhill, it was a reassignment during one of those "marble shaking" reorganization exercises. Marble shaking means putting people into a "box" like marbles and shaking it around to sort out and/or reblend them, without any regard for the outcome as far as decision validity and w*rker satisfaction. Par for the course...:nonono:

If I had to point to 1 single event that made my fed career go rapidly downhill, it was a reassignment during one of those "marble shaking" reorganization exercises. Marble shaking means putting people into a "box" like marbles and shaking it around to sort out and/or reblend them, without any regard for the outcome as far as decision validity and w*rker satisfaction. Par for the course...:nonono:

Heh. I refer to this as the anthill school of management. Every once in a while management decides to poke the anthill with a stick. The ants surge out and run about madly trying to fix things. The manager observes the increased visible activity, interprets it as increased productivity, and awards himself a bonus.

It's a powerful ER incentive.

Congratulations!

After thinking about this for several months and observing the increasing frequency of stressful events after some organizational changes, I gave notice today and will retire in mid-October. It will be a big change but the decision was made easier after reading about the experiences of other people on this board. Given the circumstances I don't feel any doubt that this was the right decision -- yet.

Sometimes we all need to have a sounding board to help sort through a decision, and I got the impression that this thread was yours.

The lure of the golden handcuffs is powerful stuff to a lot of people; as is the "one more year" syndrome, but I do believe that for most people, if they pay attention, something lets you know when the time is right to say Adios!

In my case, I worked 31 years for a major MegaCorp in what many would consider a dream job, but left following a bad management shakeup. Convinced that I wasn't ready to fully retire, I spent the next five years heading up a major non-profit organization -- and had more stress than I thought possible. Finally, at the end of 2006, at the age of 55, I had enough...and I haven't looked back or regretted my decision even one minute!

Welcome to the rest of -- and hopefully, the best of -- your life!

Last edited:
Heh. I refer to this as the anthill school of management. Every once in a while management decides to poke the anthill with a stick. The ants surge out and run about madly trying to fix things. The manager observes the increased visible activity, interprets it as increased productivity, and awards himself a bonus.

It's a powerful ER incentive.

We called it "seagull management". Management flies in, dumps on everybody, then flies out.:(

Congratulations John!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom