I've been a long-time lurker, short time poster (just started a few weeks ago I think), I decided to do an official hello.
so, hello, Celany here. almost 28/female/nyc (are we talking about money or dating here?
). My SO intruduced me to this forum awhile ago.
I've been serious above saving/earning more money for about 4 1/2 years now.
Since I got serious:
- I paid off a bit over 20K worth of debt (15+K in CCs, 5+K in student loans).
- Starting in 2003, I think, I've filled up my Roth IRA every year. It's @ vanguard 70% one of the US market index mutual funds & 30% one of the international index mutual funds.
- When I become eligible for my work 401k about 14 months ago, I started putting 8% of my salary in (100% match on the 1st 3%). That's also a 70/30 split between US & International
- I have a small (about 3.5K) SIMPLE IRA from a previous job. which also has about a 70/30 split.
- I have about 5K in a vanguard bond fund, which originally was going to be my home-buying fund, but now I'm not sure if I want to save my money for home-buying or not.
- I also got a lot more serious about making more money. When I started working in my industry 5 years ago, I was making 37k. I've shot up nicely & I'm still actively working to shoot up more. I know I do d@nm good work, and I intend to do all that I can to see that I'm paid accordingly (or as close to accordingly as possible).
Overall, I've got between 48K & 49K in savings. If I'm no longer going to put money in the home-buying fund, then I need to figure out, ASAP, where I'm going to invest that money. At the least, I'm going to bump up my 401k. Originally, I was going to bump to 9%, but now I'm thinking 10-12%
Counting the company match that I get, & how much I save a month, I save about 30% of my gross income (73K), every year.
I have no specific plans on when I'm going to retire. It just depends on too many factors to have any kind of cohesive opinion right now.
I am motived to save as much as I can, & yet live comfortably today, for a few reasons:
1) I have bipolar disorder. due to changing to a diet made of up a LOT of raw food (around 60% raw fruits/veggies/sprouts/nuts), & eliminated almost all pre-packaged food (except those d@mn chocolate frosted donuts, once in a blue moon), I've dramatically cut down on my need for meds. I've eliminated needing 2 of them, & take 1/6th of what I used to of the 3rd. I live with a general background fear of what would happen to me if I lost my job, lost my ability to pay for health insurance (I'm a big supporter of universal healthcare). Living in nyc, I see a lot of homeless people that probably have mental problems. I don't want to become one of them.
2) Unless I get hit by a bus, or some other random accident, I anticipate a very LOOOOONG life. Both of my grandmas passed away last fall - one was 91, the other 96. The older one only went into an assisted living facility 2 years ago. The younger one died after spending a few days in the hospital, but otherwise lived at home her whole life. My mom is still VERY healthy at 65. So, I'd like to save enough to be sure that I won't outlive my money (this also ties in to my healthly-food - and exercise- kick. I'd like to stay healthy as long as possible, so as to spend as many years as possible being self-sufficent).
3) I've got to admit that I'm sorta hoping that our ability to extend our lives becomes dramatically improved, within my lifetime. I've got a lot of books I'd like to read, & I'd love to be around as long as possible, to read as many of them as I can.
So, that's me, in a nutshell.