Join Early Retirement Today

Greetings from a 47 year old Ex-pat - returning soon.
Old 12-28-2009, 11:23 AM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Greetings from a 47 year old Ex-pat - returning soon.

Greetings all,
This seems like a great site that I stumbled onto while researching the possibility of applying for Social Security at the earliest possible date and then paying it back in order to receive a larger payment.
Allow me to introduce myself. I am a 47 years old and plan on retiring spring of 2014.
I am lucky enough to be eligible for a defined pension that will include a “COLA lite” (official COLA minus 1 %) adjustment for life. I am even luckier to have medical coverage that employer will continue to offer and subsidize (approximately 75% of costs are, and will be, borne by employer).
Some of the topics I am interested in, as they pertain to my retirement:
What to do with my 401K – options include leaving it where it is (choices are limited – SP500 fund, corporate bond fund, govt bond fund, small cap stock fund, international stock fund, target year funds), rolling all or part to a brokerage where I can have much more control, researching if part of it should go to an immediate annuity, etc.
The possibility of taking SS early and then paying it back – if that loophole survives. If not, defining what would be the best age – for me – to take SS.
Whether or not I should bother with paying for Medicare if I have a fairly good health insurance plan?
Continuing to grow my ROTH and non-retirement investments through DRIPs and writing covered calls.
The possibility of spending at least part of each year outside the USA – at least for the first 20 years or so of retirement – and how that might influence where I live and what type of home I buy. I am currently residing outside the USA but plan on moving back on a full time basis prior to retirement. I currently own no real estate. My relocation plans to the USA will have me living in S. Fl, at least to start with. A permanent home anywhere in the Southern USA is possible – being raised in the North east and living in Germany and Russia have cured me of any fondness for the white stuff.
Thanks for putting this great site together.
Best Regards,
TeeRar
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2009, 12:56 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Welcome T-Rar to the forum!
My only personal opinion on your situation is that the 401k should probably be moved to a self-directed IRA, unless you have liability worries.
You will need to come up with a pretty comprehensive idea of your annual living expenses in retirement.
Others may weigh in with information on some of your other questions.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 02:43 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome. Try searching for your questions using the "search" option on the menu at the top of the screen--you will find discussions and pros and cons for many of your questions.

Where are you living now (your profile shows "Florida")?
Old 12-28-2009, 02:57 PM   #4
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Where are you living now (your profile shows "Florida")?
Mexico...and corrected (I think)...Thanks
Old 12-29-2009, 07:45 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

TeeRar,

Welcome to the board.

Can you let us know what is bringing you back to the States for your retirement? Many of us, myself included, are considering Mexico as a retirement destination (part or full time).

I know I would be very interested in hearing about your decision to relocate back to the U.S. since I had also considered retirement to the southern U.S. (south Florida, south Texas, or desert southwest); but, I am afraid it would be too expensive for me if I completely stop working. (Although, I am still considering South Florida, within easy driving distance to MIA and FLL airports, and part-time work for a while.)
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 07:48 AM   #6
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolChange View Post
TeeRar,

Welcome to the board.

Can you let us know what is bringing you back to the States for your retirement? Many of us, myself included, are considering Mexico as a retirement destination (part or full time).

I know I would be very interested in hearing about your decision to relocate back to the U.S. since I had also considered retirement to the southern U.S. (south Florida, south Texas, or desert southwest); but, I am afraid it would be too expensive for me if I completely stop working. (Although, I am still considering South Florida, within easy driving distance to MIA and FLL airports, and part-time work for a while.)
First let me say - I love living overseas.

My job allows me to take different overseas assignments or work domestically at IT support centers. Many of my colleagues report that after years overseas they retire back in the states and it takes them a long time to acclimate. And this is from folks that have a home back in the states and some sort of family/support unit. Although I do have aging parents in S. Fl (one of many reasons I decided to go back to the states), I own no home nor have a very solid idea of where I want to put down stakes. So I decided to do my last 3-4 years back in the States and figure out where I want to live. I know I can, at a moments notice, pick up and move overseas and be fine with it - especially latin America.

I too am afraid I might still be "priced out" of S. Fl as a retiree but I will be fine with a full-time job for the next few years and i won't have to rush to make my choices.

Best Regards,

TeeRar
Old 12-30-2009, 10:49 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeRar View Post
Greetings all,

I am lucky enough to be eligible for a defined pension that will include a “COLA lite” (official COLA minus 1 %) adjustment for life. I am even luckier to have medical coverage that employer will continue to offer and subsidize (approximately 75% of costs are, and will be, borne by employer).
Some of the topics I am interested in, as they pertain to my retirement:
What to do with my 401K – options include leaving it where it is (choices are limited – SP500 fund, corporate bond fund, govt bond fund, small cap stock fund, international stock fund, target year funds), rolling all or part to a brokerage where I can have much more control, researching if part of it should go to an immediate annuity, etc.
from what you said about your "company's" retirement plan it sounds like you are a federal employee. if so, your "401k" (TSP) has access to about the lowest fee index funds and highest paying guaranteed value fund (G fund) around so unless you want to be trading individual stocks in your "401k" it may be best for you to just leave it where it is. if you arent a fed then sorry, never mind.

and when it comes to south FL real estate, i have heard that sw fl has, at the moment, about the cheapest real estate prices in the US.
jdw_fire is offline   Reply With Quote