Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Greetings from Alaska
Old 08-14-2012, 04:26 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Greetings from Alaska

I came across this forum a week or so ago.

I'll try to give a brief background, though I always have a tough time being brief. I'm in my early 40's, have been working as an engineer for the past 20 years and due to a combination of reasons have started to consider early retirement. So in the process of figuring out how to become FI, I came across this website.

My goals are in the next 7-10 years to transition to my own consulting firm, and having a small resort in the Caribean that will be a winter get away that will be able to pay for itself. I'm just trying to figure out how exactly to fund that between 401k, IRA, other investments and how much it will cost to pull it off. Our kids will be all in college in the next 5 years and my wife and I would like to travel and just have a lower stress life sooner than reaching the traditional retirement age. I don't see myself every being fully retired, but being able to get by on 20hrs a week, or being able to take off a month or several months at a time is very appealing.

I guess the long and the short of it is I'm trying to figure out how to figure out how to change from working for money to making money work for me so I don't have to work, or work so hard.
paul h is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2012, 06:08 PM   #2

Gee, someone in Alaska who wants to retire in the Caribbean. Who woulda thunk it?

Here's a thought. Search Amazon for books about becoming a consultant. There are tons of them. Start talking to your contacts about what they would like to see in a consultancy, and take their answers very seriously.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:40 PM   #3
Confused about dryer sheets

I don't want to retire in the Caribean, just get a break during winter. Honestly I enjoy winter, but my wife definately needs an extended sunny break each year.

I'm looking at providing most of the engineering survices I provide now via my employer, but working for myself. It's common in our industry to hire contractors, the real key for me is lining up work before taking the jump. It would also give the option of looking into international work and not being tied strictly in working in AK.
paul h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:27 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Welcome to the forum!

While it might sound like a great idea to own a place on a sunny, tropical island, you might want to really crunch the numbers and think about it. There will be a variety of expenses to deal with as an owner (either taking on a mortgage or sinking all that money into a break-even asset, taxes, insurance, monthly condo dues, furnishing the place, etc.), and then having to trust someone to rent it out - and trusting that what few renters are looking to rent in the summer months will treat it as nicely as you want them to take care of it - might not be as good of an alternative as simply renting a place for a few months each time you want to go down there.

If you're afraid of renting a place and finding out it's not as nice as the pictures on the internet, you could always ask to commit to a week rental, with an option to extend it to several months, presuming it's a nice as they claim it is.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:04 PM   #5

Sounds a bit like a second home?

Each time I look at a second home, I come with the conclusion that I am better off investing the money elsewhere and spending some of the ROI on renting serviced apartments for the holiday's that I want to take - with the added benefits of flexibility in chosing destinations and eliminating a certain amount of time and stress spent in looking after the property.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:36 AM   #6

Second/third/fourth homes are a lifestyle decision that is virtually impossible to justify financially. That does not mean it is a bad idea. Depends on your priorities and spending utility function, as well obviously as available funds.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:00 PM   #7

Welcome. My wife and I just got back from a SE Alaska cruise about a month ago. Loved it! Met some really interesting people who have ended up in Alaska because they visited there, got hooked on it and are now living there. In some respects, not unlike Vermont where I live.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:39 PM   #8

I agree with this statement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by traineeinvestor View Post

Each time I look at a second home, I come with the conclusion that I am better off investing the money elsewhere and spending some of the ROI on renting serviced apartments for the holiday's that I want to take - with the added benefits of flexibility in chosing destinations and eliminating a certain amount of time and stress spent in looking after the property.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote