Join Early Retirement Today

Greetings from Freebird
Old 02-13-2008, 08:30 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Greetings from Freebird

Hello!

I looked for a Reply to Nords intro sticky, but then figured out I needed to do a new thread. I hope this works...

I am Freebird, age 49 and holding. I really am 49 til later this year. The big 50 looms...eek

I am already semi-retired at age 48 after working as an engineer for 25 years.

I maxed out my 401(k) with a 5% employer match for over 18 years, converted it to a immed fixed annuity without tax penalty using SEPP, and was able to retire early.

Ah, Freebird found freedom....

I am a frugal spender and major league saver and DIY investor. I still drive my 1992 Honda Accord.

My assets are primarily low cost no-load mutual funds, asset allocation is 51 stocks/49 bonds, income is from a pension (survivior benefit) and my own immed fixed annuity. My expenses are just the usual heat/light/food/gas. I have a wonderful fiance, no kids except 2 dogs and 12 goldish, and live in upstate NY. The cost of living here is moderate compared to urban areas. I live simpler, cheaper, and happier.

My asset allocation is balanced at 51/49 (temporarily) until I see how my retirement income/expenses balance out after 1 year. It will be my 1st year anniversary of not working full-time on April 1st 2008. I picked that date on purpose, since it perfectly fit my attitude when I voluntarily resigned in 2007. Couldn't resist making a final statement. again.

I'm really glad I found this site. I was looking for a forum for early retirees.

Freebird
freebird5825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2008, 09:44 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Freeebiiiiiiirrrrrrrd!

Great. Now I'm gonna have that guitar line running through my brain all night.

Welcome to the board. One of my life goals is to never visit the charming little nuclear reactors town of Ballston Spa ever again.

It'll be interesting to see how your budget survives its first year with reality... and a fiancé/e. Have you run your FIRECalc numbers yet?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 04:32 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Freebird.One of my favorite driving tunes
Old 02-14-2008, 05:17 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Great. Now I'm gonna have that guitar line running through my brain all night.
it is hard to get it out of your head.

Welcome to the board.
thanks. glad to be here. a very cool place. just what i was looking for.

One of my life goals is to never visit the charming little nuclear reactors town of Ballston Spa ever again.

It'll be interesting to see how your budget survives its first year with reality... and a fiancé/e.

so far so good. haven't had to touch my investments at all. but i feel a cruise coming on...LOL

Have you run your FIRECalc numbers yet?
no i haven't. don't know how to. can you point me to the page here?
i did do a self made spreadsheet for my budget before i did the FIRE act.

Also, how do i change my profile so i can have a cool graphic image for myself? like your Taz guy.
Old 02-14-2008, 05:26 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Jambo101: Freebird.One of my favorite driving tunes

oh yeah. i crank it to the max while cruising in my 2005 Mustang convertible. it was my CB handle way back when. oops, disturbing the cobwebs again.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:01 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi FreeBird!

How LOW did you go? What are your living expenses like as a frugal retiree?

Are you supporting dependents or are you single?

Welcome to the board!
militaryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 08:13 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hi freebird and welcome aboard!

You will find a link to FIRECalc at the top (and bottom) of this page. And you can use the "User CP" link above to edit your profile and add an avatar.

Coach
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 08:57 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I am a frugal spender and major league saver and DIY investor. I still drive my 1992 Honda Accord.
Excellent choice of vehicle. My 92 Accord is up to 208000 miles. I have put maybe $1000 into it, excluding oil changes, since acquiring it 7 years and 120000 miles ago. Of course I never bother to fix some things: back door won't lock with rest when hitting the automatic lock, other back window won't go up or down, tape player doesn't work (I don't own any tapes anyway), one speaker doesn't sound right. But no problems with the engine though.
boutros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 12:37 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Hi freebird and welcome aboard!

You will find a link to FIRECalc at the top (and bottom) of this page. And you can use the "User CP" link above to edit your profile and add an avatar.

thanks, Coach. i set up my avatar, firecalc is next on the list. i appreciate the help.
Freebird
Old 02-14-2008, 12:45 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

re: Excellent choice of vehicle. My 92 Accord is up to 208000 miles.

got me beat, only 127,000 on my little Honda. wow.

i fixed the window runner mechanisms twice. i have to deal with winter weather, so that was a must. i had the water pump and timing belt replaced at a little over 100,000. water pump went bad, timing belt was a proactive repair while patient was open anyway.

rear quarter panels got some body work/replacement. they use a lot of salt on the roads here.

I have put maybe $1000 into it, excluding oil changes, since acquiring it 7 years and 120000 miles ago. Of course I never bother to fix some things: back door won't lock with rest when hitting the automatic lock, other back window won't go up or down, tape player doesn't work (I don't own any tapes anyway), one speaker doesn't sound right. But no problems with the engine though.

you can't beat a Honda for longevity. Mine was built in Marysville, Ohio, employing American workers, so i didn't feel too guilty about buying foreign. i'm gonna run this faithful little car til she runs no more. no car payments! yay!!!

Freebird
Old 02-14-2008, 01:02 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Hi FreeBird!

How LOW did you go? What are your living expenses like as a frugal retiree?

1st I estimated my expenses before i FIREd myself. I eliminated club memberships not being used, dues being paid and not going to meetings, reviewed all insurance policies against kelly blue book of vehicles and adjusted insurance/collision, yadda yadda yadda. saved myself a few hundred a year right off the top.

promised myself to be ultra cheapo for 1 year to see how my income/expenses balanced. cranked up contributions into VWAHX just in case i need to pull dividends to help out. didn't have to.

Are you supporting dependents or are you single?
i'm a widow as of 3 yrs ago. today it's me, myself, and fiance plus 2 dogs and 12 goldfish. Goldfish don't need a 529 plan. LOL

Welcome to the board!
thanks!
Freebird
Old 02-14-2008, 01:06 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

need help.. every time I want to reply to one of your posts, I click on QUOTE and type a reply, then SUBMIT POST, i get this wacky message that "message is too short. please lengthen with a least 1 character.." and it won't submit my quote with reply message.

Grrrr

so i just end up cutting and pasting your post into a brand new post and adding my own text in BOLD. that works.

am i doing something wrong?

Freebird
Old 02-14-2008, 01:25 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

this is the error i get
1. The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 1 characters.

am i supposed to enter something into the Title window?
Old 02-14-2008, 03:07 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

hey Coach

i just realized who's brain xray is in your avatar. Love it!!! I never saw that image before...DOH!
Old 02-14-2008, 03:41 PM   #15
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Go Placidly among the noise and haste and remember what peace there may be in silence.
I recognize your signature. (Desiderata)

Silence is one of the great gifts of retirement.
Old 02-14-2008, 04:56 PM   #16
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
this is the error i get
1. The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 1 characters.

am i supposed to enter something into the Title window?
Freebird, you don't have to enter something in the title, but you do have to type something in addition to the quote. If you hit "Preview Post" first, you'll get that error message.

Coach
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 05:30 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
Freebird, you don't have to enter something in the title, but you do have to type something in addition to the quote. If you hit "Preview Post" first, you'll get that error message.

Coach
coach
i hit QUOTE, typed in between the paragraphs from an earlier post, bolded my responses, and hit Post(or was it SUBMIT?)

i avoided the PREVIEW button and it croaked again.

i have a lot of firewall and pop-up blocker software on my system, so maybe that is messing it up. i'll stick with quick reply and see how that works.

thanks for your help.

UPDATE - IT WORKED. there is a little button below to click to activate to quote message in reply.

da da da da da da da da da
Old 02-14-2008, 05:36 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
I recognize your signature. (Desiderata)

Silence is one of the great gifts of retirement.
yes, indeed. no more phones ringing, coworkers blabbing/whining, bosses cranking at you, emails chiming, cube mates farting LOL, hearing way too much about OPB (other people's business), OP's family problems ad nauseum...

the dilbert world was very noisy. now we have control over our audio environment. it lowers the stress immensely.