Greetings from Southern Maryland! 20619

Tommy1972

Confused about dryer sheets
Hello All, I just joined and I am eager to communicate with everyone! But being new, I am informed that I must me "trusted" first. I am 45 and aside from the usual 401k, etc. I have realized that there is more to retirement planning. For instance, I really want to get out from my mortgage. Please tell me how to be trusted so I can communicate with you all. Tommy

Please tell me how to be trusted so I can communicate with you all. Tommy

The same way you would become "trusted" if you walked into a room full of strangers.

One way to raise suspicions might be to walk into that room and loudly ask, "How do I become trusted?" :)

Welcome! I would recommend reading all the stickies to get started. It gave me a better idea of the climate.:D

Hey REWaloo, I see your point. I just want to communicate with members with answers I need. I am attempting to pay off my mortgage and had some questions, that's all. It probably seems too direct without chatting first. My mistake.

Timmy, don't worry about it.

If you are going to ask if you should pay off your mortgage early you might want to use the Google search feature first. That question has been asked - and debated - an untold number of times.

Welcome Tommy.

You'll find the mortgage company no mortgage opinions to be rather divided among members here.

I fall into the paid off my mortgage and not looking back camp. We paid off ours by making extra payments on it. This did two things for us: a) reduced the overall interest paid and got is paid off quicker. And b) got is used to living on a smaller budget... Which made retiring in a smaller budget that much easier.

You're in a very pretty part of MD, Tommy! Welcome!

After reading the Community Rules and the FAQ forum, if your primary reason for joining up is to get financial insights, I suggest starting with the FIRE and Money forum. Once you've been reading a bit, you'll get the hang of it, I'm sure. We're generally a pretty friendly bunch once you get to know us :D

I am in the mortgage retained column as ours is at 2.75%. Having said that we make do make an extra payment amount each month so it won't stretch out too many more years.

Are you by the bay? Solomons? I love that part of the country. Very special place.

My brother lives in Laurel and wants to move there.

Greetings Tommy from Westminster MD......DW and I are 57 w/two yrs before FIRE, we have made double mortgage payments on a re-fi of 15 yrs 2.2%, just don't want to pay that nut in retirement, at the current rate we should have it done in 1.5. Actually, we're considering just taking out cash and writing one check shortly. Our jobs are stable and we can then just sock the cash away for 2 yrs.....more psychological than anything I suppose.......

Hey Tommy,

Welcome aboard. I'm a relocated TERP living in North Carolina. I love your part of the country but glad to be away from the hustle and bustle.

Anyway, wife and I paid off our mortgage last December - although we are not retired, yet. We like having smaller fixed expenses as part of our budget - but the offset is we are (and have been) maxing out our 401k's. For the better part of six years, we added an extra $1,000 each month to our mortgage payment in order to pay off our home earlier.

Michael

Hey Tommy! I used to do a lot of work at Pax River, always enjoyed getting out of the Beltway to come down there. Interesting combination of high-tech and Amish in your area.

Greetings, Tommy.

We're keeping the present mortgage (rate 2.69%) but made extra payment to get early pay off of ones on previous houses because those had higher rates. We're "semi-retired" so to speak and will have this mortgage well into retirement.

Back
Top Bottom