Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-21-2015, 07:01 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Leaving at 38 is an amazing accomplishment Chelhxi, congratulations.

I'm going at 54, and although some consider retiring at 54 "early", it's really only 1 year earlier than I would have gone anyway due to my defined plan. It's the financial equivalent of delaying the purchase of a new vehicle.

The health care benefits can't be understated. I read a lot on this site about health care costs and sometimes forget how lucky we are to have never have to face a staggering bill or high monthly premiums. I've been lucky so far not to have had a serious illness, but have had sports related injuries...knee reconstruction (torn ACL, MCL, and meniscus), and a torn Achilles tendon that cost me next to nothing...I only paid for pain killers, crutches, and a walking boot.

One of my close friends was hit by a semi while cycling...he almost died, 27 broken bones and 6 weeks in the hospital. Of all the worries his family and friends had, money was not one of them.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2015, 12:06 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Welcome, I used to live about 80 miles south of you and have decided to return to that area. I'm a retired Federal employee.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:24 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

How is it that you live so far below your income but you have saved so little?
Old 03-23-2015, 10:24 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden sunsets View Post
How is it that you live so far below your income but you have saved so little?
I only recently began living well below my income.

1. I earned less than $30k until 2000, and less than $40k until 2008.
2. Short failed marriage with a spender in too big of a house.
3. Bought a fixer after the divorce and basically gutted it, re-doing electrical, plumbing, foundation repair, new kitchen, built a garage, sunroom, decks, etc. Total $40k in renos, but could have been much higher as I did all of the work myself, other than the foundation repair.
4. Bought back almost 4 years of pensionable service ($21k).
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 02:04 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
The health care benefits can't be understated. I read a lot on this site about health care costs and sometimes forget how lucky we are to have never have to face a staggering bill or high monthly premiums. I've been lucky so far not to have had a serious illness, but have had sports related injuries...knee reconstruction (torn ACL, MCL, and meniscus), and a torn Achilles tendon that cost me next to nothing...I only paid for pain killers, crutches, and a walking boot.
Knee problems and a music lover we could be brothers from another mother I just finished having knee surgery #5

The health stuff is big. I had my last knee surgery done because I was retiring. On the company policy the surgery cost me $35. In 6 months the same operation will like be in the thousands of $$. A major illness like cancer can be crippling though I think less so now that a few years ago.