Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-15-2018, 09:47 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Welcome Offgrid

I see you as a strategic participant. You chose your path and executed it. Without regard to history/inertia. Well done!

We have friends who live on a gulf island in BC and they rely on sun, wind and artesian well for over 20 years. We visit them every summer and take enough food and beverage to cover our consumption and some of theirs after we leave, and we take the bottles and some other refuse to deposit/recycle on the mainland.

He has a salt water hot tub that is warmed by a wood fire. He does use propane and there is a delivery service to keep it full.

In the winter he comes to PV MX for 6 months.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2018, 06:42 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thanks for your service, I have a good brewing buddy who is a retired submariner. How he built his fully automated operational brewery in a single car garage (with a car parked inside is the 8th wonder of the modern world!
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 07:18 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker View Post
Thanks for your service, I have a good brewing buddy who is a retired submariner. How he built his fully automated operational brewery in a single car garage (with a car parked inside is the 8th wonder of the modern world!
He is accustomed to fitting a lot of equipment into a small room.

Has he told you how the whiskey stills work on subs?
Old 04-15-2018, 10:25 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offgrid Organic Farmer View Post
"Whiskey"?!? Hunh.

The Missile techs and the Auxiliary machinist's mates told me that they were simply analyzing ethanol-based alternative fuel sources for a NAVSEA research project.

Of course, the fermented orange juice bottles which broke free during angles & dangles to cascade down a frame bay... they were a different problem. Apparently that was an advanced-formulation cleaning fluid.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 04:17 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
He is accustomed to fitting a lot of equipment into a small room.

Oh I am very aware of where he picked up those skills. I met him while working underground at the coal mine where I worked, and where he picked up even more skills. He was a electronics tech for a manufacturer that created personal monitoring devices and personal radios.

No mention ever of ethyl alcohol fuel or cleaner production but I will have to inquire....
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 05:41 AM   #26

Quote:
Yes, I go by various handles.

Should I have shaved, or was it the hat?

I live in dense forest and I keep bees [along with a herd of pigs, etc].

Welcome!

I am also moving to Maine, have riverfront on the Saco River and will be starting my first two jives in two weeks. I would say we were neighbors if Maine was not so big!
ChiliPepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 03:20 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Our fixed expenses are low and we grow most of our own food.
You're living my dream right there. Does anything taste better than the food you grew yourself?

Welcome! And thank you for your service.
Old 04-16-2018, 04:53 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiliPepr View Post
Welcome!

I am also moving to Maine, have riverfront on the Saco River and will be starting my first two jives in two weeks. I would say we were neighbors if Maine was not so big!
Hey neighbor

Welcome
Old 04-16-2018, 08:56 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
... We have 4400 watts of photovoltaic panels that feed a 600ah 48vdc battery-bank. We find that on most days our batteries are full by noon, which means that we can run every appliance in our home and every power tool without consuming all the power we generate.

Last year we bought a plug-in hybrid sedan to take up some of the surplus power we are generating.

Welcome to the forum!

I am in the process of building up my lithium battery bank of 22.5kWh. This is for my urban home, so I cannot have all the solar panels that I want. Still trying to find the best spot for the 3kW worth of panels that I just bought.

In contrast with your location, here in the Southwest, I found that the hottest day of summer last year, I burnt 120kWh/day mostly for the AC. Disgusting, isn't it?

But in your case, you need winter heating, and your BTU consumption is not going to be that low either.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 09:20 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Welcome to the forum!

I am in the process of building up my lithium battery bank of 22.5kWh. This is for my urban home, so I cannot have all the solar panels that I want. Still trying to find the best spot for the 3kW worth of panels that I just bought.

In contrast with your location, here in the Southwest, I found that the hottest day of summer last year, I burnt 120kWh/day mostly for the AC. Disgusting, isn't it?

But in your case, you need winter heating, and your BTU consumption is not going to be that low either.
A/C consumes a lot of power.

Heating is not very expensive when firewood is abundant.
Old 04-17-2018, 08:45 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

I wish you all the best. You seem to be living the life you want for you and yours. That is a great accomplishment in and of itself.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 09:15 AM   #32

Quote:
Hey neighbor

Welcome
Just curious, how many hives are you running? If you are up north you must have a short season... I am in the part of Maine that is more "Northern Massachusetts" than Maine, and we still have snow on the ground.
ChiliPepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 03:09 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiliPepr View Post
Just curious, how many hives are you running? If you are up north you must have a short season... I am in the part of Maine that is more "Northern Massachusetts" than Maine, and we still have snow on the ground.
Right now, I have one hive that over-wintered.

We had more snow yesterday.

Though it looks like most of it may go away this next week.
Old 04-17-2018, 05:45 PM   #34

Just wanted to say welcome to the forum and really enjoyed reading your posts on your alternative retirement lifestyle.

Have you considered starting your own blog?
Al18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 02:21 AM   #35
Dryer sheet aficionado

Welcome Offgrid. Nice story. Are you really off-grid/self-sustained? If so, what do you do? Always interested in solar and other self-sustaining ways.
Zorwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 06:02 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I served 20 years in the US Navy, mostly on various FBM submarines. I took 4 years for college, and I got a pension when I was 42.

During my working career, we collected an assortment of apartment buildings. Basically one at each duty station. When I retired, we sold them and used the money to buy a farm out in the forest.

I am now 58. We have done pretty well on my pension. This year it has gone up to ~$1650/month. I think we would be fine on only half of my pension if I would only stop building stuff.

What do you grow... and how do we purchase from you ... I'm in MA ... love to support organic farmers (whether it's certified or not)

Edit: looks like you answered some questions... I'll read them to see if mine has been answered.
jzajzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 06:14 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorwarrior View Post
Welcome Offgrid. Nice story. Are you really off-grid/self-sustained? If so, what do you do? Always interested in solar and other self-sustaining ways.
We have 4400 watts of solar power and a battery-bank, we generate our own power.

We manage 150 acres of land, where we produce most [roughly 90%] of our own food, and we are vendors in a Farmers Market where we sell the surplus.

Our living expenses to cover the rest of the stuff we need is pretty low. No debt, no mortgage, property taxes are very low.
Old 04-18-2018, 06:17 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzajzz View Post
What do you grow... and how do we purchase from you ... I'm in MA ... love to support organic farmers (whether it's certified or not)

Edit: looks like you answered some questions... I'll read them to see if mine has been answered.
Some of it is bartered among neighbors. We have been in different markets, and in a Buyers Club.
Old 04-18-2018, 08:54 AM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi and welcome...Retired Navy Command Master Chief... retired in 2004 Getting ready to retire to retire from civil service after 15 years in 20 months.... at age 59.5. We will not have the investment portfolio as most on this site; however, at least about 1-M. After all the sacrifices we all have a good streams of have endured we have guaranteed income [emoji106][emoji3]
cnocmmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 10:25 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnocmmz View Post
Hi and welcome...Retired Navy Command Master Chief... retired in 2004 Getting ready to retire to retire from civil service after 15 years in 20 months.... at age 59.5. We will not have the investment portfolio as most on this site; however, at least about 1-M. After all the sacrifices we all have a good streams of have endured we have guaranteed income [emoji106][emoji3]
Cnocmmz - thank you for your service.