Greetings - Planning Retirement in 50s

mknight

Confused about dryer sheets
Greetings All!

Saw that this site had some very specific and helpful advise as I was trying to investigate social security retirement benefits.

I'm the breadwinner in my family with three kids and a spouse. I save a lot and plan for the future. We are all fine for the moment - I support our daughter in college and one in a special needs school. That said, I am suppose to retire from my job in my mid-50s (10 years from now) and am trying to review and possibly make adjustments to my current situation now.

What I realized is that when I am forced to retire in my mid-50s, I will have one baby child in college, one special needs child with limited abilities to really support herself, and a Canadian spouse who will be in his mid-60s. So, this looks like a good site for me to belong to - bound to have questions and hopefully will also have some input for others between now and full retirement age!

I'm not really sure if I should post my specific question here - and/or do a separate post. Here goes anyhow.

SPECIFIC QUESTION
When my first career ends in my 50s, my Canadian spouse will be at full retirement age - but hasn't worked significantly. If my internet research is correct, it appears he will not be eligible for Medicare until I turn 62. Does anyone know if he would be eligible for immediate 50% social security spousal benefits? He will be at the full retirement age even though I will only be in my mid-50s.

Thanks for any info!

M.

I do not have any information for you, but want to say welcome to the board. Someone should be along with some helpful information for you. I see you are from Virginia--is the snow over the roof yet?

If your husband has worked and earned at least 6 credits under the US SSA system and he worked in Canada, then at 62 he could be eligible for what is called a totalization benefit. The totalization benefit does not cover Medicare. You are correct that he cannot get Medicare off your record until you turn 62. He would not be eligible for any cash benefit until you are eligible for benefits. At that time, your special needs child may also be eligible for a disabled child's benefit and Medicare after a waiting period.

Description of the U.S.-Canadian Social Security Agreement

The link above is for totalization. The ssa site wouldn't repond when I tried to get other information today to link to. Rules will change between now and then for both SSA and Medicare. Good luck in your planning. ;)

Back
Top Bottom