Happy as a piggy

jug

Recycles dryer sheets
Hi:

Been here about a year ago, moved from NYC to Vegas, have home free and clear here.

Have 32K pension from job, put about 400k into 5.6% 6 year CD.s, thus live on about 55k a year. Am 55. State employer health insurance is 200 per month.

It's great getting up, nothing to do, even stopped exercising, just lobbing around and doing what I feel like doing, on my time, when I feel like doing it.

Watching all the movies I wanted to, experimenting with hobbies, concrete funky art, etc.

Benefits, lower blood pressure, higher cholesteral, too many buffets, but feel no guilt about bolting from high stress situation. Had I stayed 4 years more would have had 48K pension, but may not have made it mentally and physically. In reality, time is also valuable.

Did this a year ago, and am finally feeling better, less stressed, think more clearly, and in the land of "don't give a hoot"

I realized that we are all slaves to the dollar, and after a while one has to liberate ourselves to find who the hell we are and what we like. If you lilke your situation, don't quit, stay there, but if there is something missing, then decide to split, plan how to do it, and act.

Jug

Welcome to the boards.

It sounds like Vegas is working well for you. Have you been up to Area 51 yet? Anyway, there are a lot of people here in your situation. Look around and check out the different forums.

We look forward to your contributions.

Yeah, been up to that crazy place, lot' s of desert, make sure the tank if filled and make sure you have plenty of water, cell phones don't seem to work
jug

It's great getting up, nothing to do, even stopped exercising, just lobbing around and doing what I feel like doing, on my time, when I feel like doing it.

Benefits, lower blood pressure, higher cholesteral, too many buffets, but feel no guilt about bolting from high stress situation. Had I stayed 4 years more would have had 48K pension, but may not have made it mentally and physically. In reality, time is also valuable.

Jug
Welcome. But you better get back to the exercise or all of those benefits will be frittered away.

Jug,
It sounds wonderful! I'm pulling the plug March 31, 2008, and I love hearing how other folks are loving their retirement...*sigh*..

To be honest, I'm still trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up. The workworld was all a load of BS, a place where you had to make believe that you believed in what you were doing. That in my book is not freedom.

The whole idea of freedom to me is bought by living below your means, and since I never had a taste for the expensive life, it's not that hard.

As for what I may or may not do each day, we'll, perhaps I'll try the 26 plan, that is trying to go through 26 different jobs in a year, or whatever it takes, till I find something I enjoy running to. Here you are free to make yourself whatever you want to be, play the game, until you are found out. Of course I won't practice medicine.

If I don't, no big deal, but the idea is to go back to childhood, not hard for me, and re-invent myself, and out here in Vegas, you can tell people you have PHD's up the wazoo, since where I live they seem to admire "accomplished" folk, whatever that is, and just snicker to yourself as they cover you wish their respect.

Also, I have the freedom to be myself, eccentric, off the cuff, try concrete art, or whatever, drive my wife crazy, dress up as a mental patient and roam the streets. Just kidding.

The idea to me is to get back to yourself, see who you really are, and live that life on your terms where no one owns your body or mind. That is the real freedom of FIRE.
jug

To be honest, I'm still trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up. The workworld was all a load of BS, a place where you had to make believe that you believed in what you were doing. That in my book is not freedom.

So true!

Welcome to the boards from another new member.

Welcome Jug! Sounds like you have a good handle on ER. Freedom to be yourself is worth more than a few extra $$$ in retirement.

I quit 6 yrs before my normal retirement age. That 6 yrs cost me a lot in pension and 401k dollars, IRA contributions, etc. But I don't regret it for one minute. I had all the corporate BS I could take after 24 yrs with one company. Family illness was the trigger that pushed me into it, but I was fed up and couldn't stand the thought of one more day by that time anyway. I now reside permanently in the land of "don't give a hoot". It feels good.

TG

Watching all the movies I wanted to

One of the things that I most enjoy about ER is the fact that there is a movie house about 10-15 minutes from our place that has $1 weekday matinee prices on movies near the end of their run. DW and I often smuggle in a lunch and enjoy.

If the movie sucks, we're 'otta there, after eating our lunch, of course.:cool:

One of the things that I most enjoy about ER is the fact that there is a movie house about 10-15 minutes from our place that has $1 weekday matinee prices on movies near the end of their run. DW and I often smuggle in a lunch and enjoy.

If the movie sucks, we're 'otta there, after eating our lunch, of course.:cool:

What a great LBYM activity that sounds like fun!

RE beats the daylights out of being unhappy at a situation, and it seems this is what this board is about, unhappy people wanting to break free for another chance at trying to find something better to do.

Yes it is a challenge, but one has to take a chance being time is as important as money, both are in short supply.

I do believe that most of the ills in this country are from chasing the "American Dream" and biting each other's ass in doing so. It gets tiring, and sometimes your ass gets bitten too much, you get burned, bored, and drained.

When one is planning ER at an early age, this is sad, since it means something is wrong from the get go. You would figure that one's avocation for life would be fulfilling to the psyche, but to recognize early it is not shows something is amiss.

In my book, there is nothing wrong with working till you drop as long as the work was meaningful and calming. Something is very wrong with this picture if so many people just want to get out, so many are chained, perhaps this is not the land of the free. Free to complain and walk about, yes, but not free

jug

RE beats the daylights out of being unhappy at a situation, and it seems this is what this board is about, unhappy people wanting to break free for another chance at trying to find something better to do.

Yes it is a challenge, but one has to take a chance being time is as important as money, both are in short supply.

I do believe that most of the ills in this country are from chasing the "American Dream" and biting each other's ass in doing so. It gets tiring, and sometimes your ass gets bitten too much, you get burned, bored, and drained.

When one is planning ER at an early age, this is sad, since it means something is wrong from the get go. You would figure that one's avocation for life would be fulfilling to the psyche, but to recognize early it is not shows something is amiss.

In my book, there is nothing wrong with working till you drop as long as the work was meaningful and calming. Something is very wrong with this picture if so many people just want to get out, so many are chained, perhaps this is not the land of the free. Free to complain and walk about, yes, but not free

jug

Congrats on your retirement and I agree with your posts.

I am contend with everything that I have and I feel as though GOD has blessed our family many times over. We have GOD, WE have OUR family and WE have OUR health. Even though some of us might have health problems there is always someone who's health is worse then OURS.

I am a retired PIGGY from the GREAT STATE of TEXAS

Jug, enjoy your family and your retirement.

GOD BLESS,
Wags

Last edited:
jug

Hey it is newguy, Booboobear is a mess anyway glad your move has worked ut!!

The pension is the same here my medical is ree thought!!

I am workig two days a week at two elem schools teaching 1st and 2nd graders physcal education!!

A blast and it makes my financial situation work here in north carolina. i don't miss NYC except for the good food!

jug

I wonder the same thing at some of the posts from 20 and 30 somethings frantically trying to get out of the rat race. But a fair number of the younger posters are not particularly unhappy in their work, they just long for the freedom and independence of FIRE. Nothing sad or unhappy about that. Another aspect of the situation is that many of us are happy with our work for many years but as we get older we lose the fire and want to move on to another stage. It seems to me that a fair number of the younger posters are smartly anticipating that -- maybe they learned by watching the boomers at their workplaces going through mid-life crises ;) Unlike many of those smart young dreamers, when I hit that point DW and I had not saved a small fortune. So we really had to tighten our belts to put together the requisite nest egg ("tighten" is relative -- we were never even in the same ball park as some of the truly frugal people around here). From DW's perspective when we started seriously saving it was somewhat of an academic exercise. She thought she would want to work until 60 or so. But after watching almost 3 years of my ER and cutting back significantly on her schedule she has been bitten by the bug. Not so much a dislike of her work but a realization that there are much better alternatives in ER. She expects to pull the plug next year at 56 (same as my age when I bailed).

Hey Newguy, Good to see NC working out for ya.

Hope you are happy, that is the main thing and ya don't have to go back to Newark ever again.

Haven't been back to NYC since last August of 06

Haven't done anything but take little trips around the SW.

Going to Yuma for 3 days, why? Because I've never been there, because there is a motel that gives a free happy hour, food and booze and I want to walk into Mexico and see muck around a bit. I do things cause I want to, not cause I have to, but eventually will do some work, not right now though

jug

I loved my work (university professor). But after 35 years I found that I also had lots of other things I wanted to do. So in some cases, anyway, I think it's just that it's time for a change, a desire for more free time, etc.

each has their own reasons for getting out, I think the big one is losing fire, and hence seeing what this corporate life is really about.

I had blinders on most of my life until several life changing events starting about 15 years ago.

It's simple, wasn't content and wasn't experimenting with life like I believe we were made to do. FIRE is also a deeper philosophy, to explore the unexplored, even to explore oneself and see who you really are.

Sounds far out, most of us I believe want to explore the unknown, this is why I like taking rides to wacko places in the west.

Saw something interesting on a grave in Quartzsize arizona, person died recently at age 30, on back of headstone was inscribed "This town killed me"!

Interesting, why did he let it kill him, just like some aspects of our own lives we deny can kill us
jug

Jug,
What is the dating seen like in Vegas?

dating scene, hmmm, haven't tried it yet, have to get around de wife.

I guess it's like any other big city except there are more places to meet people here due to the huge amount of tourists floating around.

Whatever you like is here, the city is designed to please, that's what it is all about here, fun fun fun, depending on what kind of fun you want. .

If you wanna pay, that's easy. If you are looking for people, there are tons of local bars. Seems to be great place if in your 20's or 30's but if not, then there are tons of older singles. Not a bad place

If one gets divorced, then they also head here to start over,

Depends on what your looking for, I'm just "looking", not doing, don't want to get killed in my sleep, wife is expert at knife handling, almost got circumscized a third tiime, yikes>:D....tj..o.

jug

What were the life changing events that pushed you over the edge?

Life changing events,hmmm.

ok, . Severe breakdown after being injured and frustrated by not getting good medical care and living with pain. Being active and then being injured and living with pain seeing doctors who know shinola can get to you. Finally healed, mentally and physically, have no time to suffer fools and their mamby pamby complaints that the latte is too freakin hot.

Being hasseled at job when they saw my "weakness" due to illness. Pain gets to you, and the sharks circle you, you get a reputation having to be in mental hospital for month to deal with severe depression. But I'm just as mean, I plastered my office walls with pictures of AK-47's they backed off. Nothing like guns and meds bottles to keep the harrassers off your ass.

Trouble with child on booze and drugs

Corporate America is cruel, when they see you fall, they pounce for your position, except I'm pretty tough, I overcame pain and depression, and spat in their eye, I toughloved my son, who straighened out and is now and teacher. I told all the fools around me to f--k off, and moved away from them.

I left the job due to burn out, been there done that, lost faith in the American dream, bunch of crap. I don't suffer fools, look at life as precious and should be taken with a great sense of humor, and tell the incurably anal to remove the poles from their arses.

Oh, did I mention I almost had 2 buildings fall on me, yes I was downtown when the whole 9/11 shebang went down, like being in a godzilla movie, running with a smoke ball chasing you.

Now I look at girlie mags, get up when I want, say what I want, do what I want. and only hang out with people who are not considered sane by this society, this american dream middle class crap.

I love the one's who have 5 million in the bank and ask, do you think I can retire?

that's da story
jug
Back to the asylum

Did anyone else have any life changing events?
jug
Throwing food at the other inmates at Nevada State Hospital

Back
Top Bottom