Happy Birthday to me - I'm now 56

In my mind you did the right thing. You are in great shape and your wife could retire with what you have also. The one thing is if she didn't want to work another 5 years she can go anytime in case.

My last day of w*rk is 12/15 and that evening my wife and I have a flight to Miami and will board a cruise (on Saturday) for 7 days in the Caribbean.
IMATERP

Wowzers! Retiring AND leaving for a cruise the same day. That sounds like something my DW (who is a much more interesting person than I) would schedule. Good for you!

I anticipate on my RE day I'll be in shock, wandering around the neighborhood like a zombie, too stunned to think about going on any trips.

Wowzers! Retiring AND leaving for a cruise the same day. That sounds like something my DW (who is a much more interesting person than I) would schedule. Good for you!

I anticipate on my RE day I'll be in shock, wandering around the neighborhood like a zombie, too stunned to think about going on any trips.

The interesting thing is that we booked this cruise almost 9 months ago.

I'm really stunned about "the package" being on 12/15/2017. HR picked the date and I've just followed the protocol.

By the way - this whole process is what I call - God doing for me what I could not do for myself. If you left it up to me - the OMY syndrome would have won out due to fear. In this case, once I put my application in - I knew that there was no backing out.

I

Countdown has started - 18 days to go over here. :greetings10:

I just returned to w*ork following a ten day Thanksgiving break. Wow, that felt wonderful. Whatever trepidation that I had prior to the break is certainly gone.

Even aging parents commented "that I'm much more relaxed and that I've got my mojo back."

Looking forward to hanging with the non-w*orking Winners !

I

8 (5 w@rking) Days to go. I've had periods of trepidation over the past week, but the organization ends up showing its true colors - toxic and dysfunctional. By the end of each day, I am convinced that I have made the right decision.

Looking forward to leaving the office (for good) next Friday. Planning to go home, pack, wait for the wife - then pick up a Uber to the airport. That cruise is coming at the right time and I no longer am calling it a vacation. It is a retirement cruise. Woohoo!

31 Days to go till I'm FIRE'd. I've negotiated the final Payouts of Annual Leave and the Buyout - both of which will occur in early of 2018 (and be taxable income next year.)

IMATERP

Congratulations! tick tock... Will you be using some of the buyout money to fund your 2018 Roth?

One thing I miss about working is that I can't park money in my Roth, but I got over it!

I hope you have many, many, happy, healthy years of retirement. :dance:

Just read through this thread. The buy out and cruise are a terrific way to head into retirement. All the best to you and your wife.

Congratulations! tick tock... Will you be using some of the buyout money to fund your 2018 Roth?

One thing I miss about working is that I can't park money in my Roth, but I got over it!

I hope you have many, many, happy, healthy years of retirement. :dance:

Absafrickenlutley, Helen! :)

a. I have a $7,000 CD in my Fidelity brokerage account which comes due on 01/02/2018. I'm taking $6,500 of that and transferring it directly to my Roth.

b. This morning I wrote my wife a check for $3,850 in order to cover my health insurance through her hospital for the year 2018.

c. 50 hours left until I can walk out of this prison office - as a "free man." I did take the opportunity to send my farewell e-mail earlier this morning as opposed to waiting until after I left. :cool:

d. Coworkers are taking me out to lunch at 11:30a.m. and I have one foot out the door.

Cheers,

I

It's Official!

I am officially FIRed! As usual,the State of NC didn't disappoint. They did everything possible to bring chaos to what should have been a happy departure.

The State of NC had promised severance participants who accepted voluntary packages, health insurance through Jan 31st. Well, late yesterday evening I received an email basically informing folks that due to a misunderstanding that Health Coverage would only be extended through the end of the month. So I spent the early part of my day trying to work around this arrangement. Wifey was able to get me on her plan January 1st.

This constant type of dysfunction has been prevalent since Day 1. Sadly, I thought it would eventually change but it never did.

Anyway, I shared my concerns in writing and wished everyone good riddance. This afternoon, we are packed and getting ready to catch a flight to Florida for our cruise.

I am so grateful that the nightmare is over and that I can spend the next week getting some needed R&R.

I'll touch base upon our return.

I

Were back from our Carribean Cruise. Unfortunately it was the cruise which had the excursion bus accident in Costa Maya, Mexico. The weather was great throughout the week and Celebrity Cruise did the best job in looking out for passenger safety.

Anyway, it's nice to be home. Nice to enjoy the holidays, and Nice not to have to go to w@rk anymore.

May Peace be with everyone.

Imaterp

Glad to hear you are back and starting your ER. Let us know how the CPA and baseball stuff works out.

4 weeks in... One word describes my comfort level with this retirement thing.

SWEET

I

Back
Top Bottom