Happy New Year

Bulldog

Confused about dryer sheets
A Happy, Healthy & Prosperous New Year to All.

I've been watching the board for a few months now and have learned a lot. Thanks.

I'm hoping to be FI in a couple of years (maybe there now) and will probably hang up the sliderule when the time feels right.

I enjoy my career, especially the travel, but am starting to get ground down by corporate politics and waste.

One big issue I see on the horizon (or it may be here already) is the future for corporate pensions. I would be relying heavily on mine. What is the concensus on how reliable a corporate pension will be over the next 35 years -- those under 40 most probably won't have one. I'm in my mid 50's and am getting worried.

Bulldog said:
A Happy, Healthy & Prosperous New Year to All.

I've been watching the board for a few months now and have learned a lot. Thanks.

I'm hoping to be FI in a couple of years (maybe there now) and will probably hang up the sliderule when the time feels right.

I enjoy my career, especially the travel, but am starting to get ground down by corporate politics and waste.

One big issue I see on the horizon (or it may be here already) is the future for corporate pensions. I would be relying heavily on mine. What is the concensus on how reliable a corporate pension will be over the next 35 years -- those under 40 most probably won't have one. I'm in my mid 50's and am getting worried.
Can you take your pension in cash? If so you can control it.

Hey B Dog, woof woof, a happy and healthy new year back to you.

Each year is a new year, every new year is a good year (yeah even those when we've got trials, tribulations and brick walls in front of us).

All the best to all

Uncledrz

Depends.  Is the pension significantly underfunded?  If your employer is publicly-held, you can tell from the pension footnote in the SEC form 10-K.  If it is underfunded, is your employer on shaky ground financially?  If so, you might have some cause for worry.  All corporate pensions are not created equal.

I'm not too concerned about the immediate pension issues since the company is currently stable and pension only slightly underfunded. Question is what happens in 10, 20 years? Unfortunately I cannot take it out as a lump sum -- wish I could.

I guess it is just one of those unknowable issues that has to be factored in like future market performance, etc.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom