Happy to be among like-minded people

gwraigty

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Hello,

I'm 54, a full-time housewife, avid Runescape player, and a mom of 2 young adults.

I'm always interested in learning about financial independence. I learned long ago how important it is to have some income that isn't totally dependent on the whims of an employer. I spent longer than I should have making mistakes as a beginning investor. It wasn't until I did a 180 that things started finally coming together for me. Now, we're at a point where going to work is more of a choice for my husband rather than a strict necessity.

He doesn't have plans to retire anytime soon. He's 54 also. He still likes his job for the most part. Outsourcing is becoming more of an issue at his employer, so I'm just hoping that he can retire on his own terms rather than having it decided for him. But if not, I think we're prepared.

No questions at this time. Just thought I'd pop in and introduce myself. :greetings10:

Last edited:
Welcome fellow RPG'er! I play FFXIV

Welcome to the forum! I had to look up what Runescape is.

Thanks! I've been playing Runescape for several years now, in-between other hobbies. It's pretty low-cost entertainment - actually - no-cost since they introduced the ability to pay for membership using in-game money. :D

Welcome, and thank you for taking the time to introduce yourself. :flowers:

I learned long ago how important it is to have some income that isn't totally dependent on the whims of an employer.
Yes! This is so true, even for those lucky people who love their work and have excellent relations with their employer/supervisor: things change, and it's best to be prepared. Even a little bit of control over one's destiny is better than none at all.

We're at a point where going to work is more of a choice for my husband rather than a strict necessity.... I'm just hoping that he can retire on his own terms rather than having it decided for him.
Makes sense. The research is fairly convincing that voluntary retirees enjoy significantly more life satisfaction than involuntary retirees.

Health and pre-retirement expectations are even more important predictors of post-retirement happiness. If your husband can spend some time and effort working on those issues now, it should pay dividends later.

"...so I'm just hoping that he can retire on his own terms rather than having it decided for him."

When I retired in late 2008, this was something one of my coworkers said to me at the time. I hope you can get there, too. P.S. we are about the same age, I am 54.

Welcome.

I always confuse "Runescape" with "RuneQuest." :facepalm:

That's a sign of age in more ways than one.

Back
Top Bottom