Healthcare is the issue for me

Cubitt

Confused about dryer sheets
Howdy! What a great site to run into, and at just the right time. I have lots to talk about, and I look forward to reading what you all have to say, but my fundamental concern is healthcare between now and medicare.

I actually work for a hospital, and I think I could cut down to part time and still retain medical benefits, which are generous. What I would like to know is what options beyond and 18-month COBRA do I have. Does anyone allow you to continue on a group rate after retirement? Are there any groups (like AARP) that qualify as groups for members who are not of medicare age? From the small bit of research I've done, it seems like I'd have to spend around $700/month, which is not impossible, but not a thought I cherish.

So, who can point me in the right direction now that I'm ready to get serious?

I actually work for a hospital, and I think I could cut down to part time and still retain medical benefits, which are generous. What I would like to know is what options beyond and 18-month COBRA do I have.

Yup, read where REWahoo said. Don't make any assumptions about purchasing and being eligible for individual health insurance until you do your homework. It is better to learn the issues while you are still employed and covered.

I also suggest checking with your HR benefits people. Some employers allow "retiree insurance" where you pay all on your own, but at least you are eligible automatically. Careful, since in some cases you have to continue the insurance uninterrupted between employment and retirement.

Anyhow, welcome to the board and count on learning a lot if you can put up with the general insanity of the place. ;)

It is not likely to get group coverage without medical underwriting outside of retiree benefits.

There are probably organizations that can help with with a group rate although the premiums will probably be similar to the individual market.
And medical underwriting is required in the state of Florida which I noted you live.

After cobra the only realistic way to get insurance without medical underwriting is taking the hippa option which carry high premiums.

Not alot of choices for a good plan with low premiums. I would try and make some sort of arrangement with your employer to keep you on your current plan until age 65.

Back
Top Bottom