Join Early Retirement Today

Hello
Old 03-16-2006, 12:11 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Hello

Just registered, this site is great. I am in full time employment, looking to ER in about 5 years time. I am 32. My personal view out of wage slavery has been to save up and live hopefully off the interest. I dont need much to live on at all really. It is reassuring to listen to people who share the same goal. I first realised something was very wrong about five years ago and started to suffer from depression etc. Know i know what that nagging feeling was, that the world had gone made, society, civilisation, capitilism the whole employment ethos was what was bothering me. Anyway I am rambling on, not sure anyone is interested, got a lot more to say. has anyone thought about living on a boat, or ER on a boat, im looking into it, i dont have megabucks to ER so i am looking at alternative living spaces, i dont need keep up with the jones' or impress, i dont need a 5 bedroom house with 3000 sq feet.. i know i am rambliing, but you are all such great listners. Lots of love, Claire xx
claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Hello
Old 03-16-2006, 12:33 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Hey, don't blame society, civilization, capitalism -- they're what's going to save you!

Welcome aboard, and I think a few people here will have handy answers for your boat question....
Cool Dood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 12:36 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks Cool Dude.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:39 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Welcome, Claire.

I think there are lots of potential alternatives for living space. *You could look into a condo in an inexpensive area. *You could live on a boat (check out http://www.tendervittles.net/ ). *You could live in an RV (check out http://www.andybaird.com/travels/fulltime/index.html ). *You could also just rent a modest apartment. *There arre also "perpetual traveller" ERs (check out http://www.retireearlylifestyle.com/ ). *Lots of options...

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 12:43 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks Brewer, will take a look at the links you've kindly supplied.
Old 03-16-2006, 03:09 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Welcome, Claire! You're among friends here.
Old 03-16-2006, 08:13 PM   #7

For RV living on a budget, yet making decent money at the same time. Check this gentleman by the name of George out.

http://vagabonders-supreme.net

Sam
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 11:53 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome, I'm interested in hearing more details, how much do you anticipate having in 5 years and how much do you plan on withdrawing per year once you ER? From one rambler to another, please, speak and ramble as much as you please!
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 06:55 AM   #9

Hey, another ER babe joins the forum. I am all for a little diversity Welcome Claire.
Old 03-17-2006, 06:59 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
Welcome, I'm interested in hearing more details, how much do you anticipate having in 5 years and how much do you plan on withdrawing per year once you ER?* From one rambler to another, please, speak and ramble as much as you please!*
Hey, get back here Laurence! If I am stuck on the "daddy track" playing breadwinner, no way you are getting out!

Just kidding. Nothing wrong with indulging escapist fantasies.

- George Orwell

Old 03-17-2006, 07:14 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Daddy track is just as scary as mommy track. All responsibility for income on one person's shoulders. No end in sight. Brewer and Laurence, you are good daddys.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 07:18 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
All responsibility for income on one person's shoulders.* No end in sight.*
Thanks for rubbing it in, Martha. I'll have to think up some obligatory lawyer jokes now.

- George Orwell

Old 03-17-2006, 07:59 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
Thanks for rubbing it in, Martha. I'll have to think up some obligatory lawyer jokes now.
I guess that wasn't a very sympathetic post. Sooorrry.

But you guys are good daddies.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 08:12 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
But you guys are good daddies.* *
I knew you were being complimentary, even without a smiley.

(way OT rant warning)

Dunno about the other fathers my age, but I have found a significant, lets say, cultural bias against fathers who are actively involved in their kids' lives. People are quick to criticize me for a perceived lack of involvement with my kids (like the total stranger who said "bad daddy" when I raced home to pick my daughter up at a library where my wife was giving a seminar and the sitter didn't show up). Then again, when I am with my kids many people act as if I am intruding on a private world where mothers and kids seem to be the only acceptable presence. I don't get this kind of flack from people my own age, so I suspect that it is a holdover from the days of father = breadwinner and mother = housewife.

It came as quite a shock in Puerto Rico to see how different things were. You saw more men pushing carriages than women, and when I was standing in line at a supermarket checkout, there was a magazine called "Padres y Hijos".

(rant mode off)

- George Orwell

Old 03-17-2006, 09:07 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Then again, when I am with my kids many people act as if I am intruding on a private world where mothers and kids seem to be the only acceptable presence.
Maybe they think you're just using your kid as bait to pick up chicks!

I learned very quickly to have my wedding ring on prominent display when the kid & I were out without spouse. Unless, of course, ... eh, never mind.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 09:08 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Maybe they think you're just using your kid as bait to pick up chicks!
Considering that I only shave when forced to and DW hounds me for abut a month before I will let go of a pair of ratty jeans, I doubt it.

- George Orwell

Old 03-17-2006, 09:45 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Hey, get back here Laurence!* If I am stuck on the "daddy track" playing breadwinner, no way you are getting out!*

Just kidding.* Nothing wrong with indulging escapist fantasies.
LOL! Escapist fantasy is right! Plus, any tips on how to survive on that small of a portfolio will be very germane to our current, reduced income stream.

Quote:
I guess that wasn't a very sympathetic post. Sooorrry.

But you guys are good daddies.
We try! But many Dad's don't have the opportunity to be the sole breadwinner, the Mom's income is essential, I know I had to put up with a lot of holier than thou crap when we at first decided to stay two income after Tori was born, I don't want to be guilty of the same offense. Those of you who couldn't, I feel your pain and I know you are good Daddies, too!

I am nervous about being the only income stream, especially in light of recent announcements at work. But DW will still be consulting from home, and while that will only be a small income stream (but very useful), it will keep her skills current, in case I get canned experience some employment shortfalls...

Brewer, I hear you on the rant. I get such positive feedback on our decision, yet when I say, "hey, maybe DW's consulting business will take off and I can be a stay at home Dad!" I get either laughed off or even scolded! Weird.
Old 03-17-2006, 10:06 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I am nervous about being the only income stream, especially in light of recent announcements at work.* But DW will still be consulting from home, and while that will only be a small income stream (but very useful), it will keep her skills current, in case I get canned experience some employment shortfalls...
No question that there is substantial pressure in playing breadwinner, but for folks like us I think its really not that bad. We are generally well-credentialled professionals whose skills are in demand and we have substantial financial resources at our disposal if we get canned. We also tend to LBYM and are pretty resourceful in adversity. Got a lot of advantages, really.

Once you see how it goes, youll get comfy with it, Laurence.

- George Orwell

Old 03-17-2006, 10:15 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

True, this site has been a big help for me, too. I haven't given enough credit, really. In the year since I've been here, we've begun to truly understand and live LBYM, and we've stockpiled enough assets that we could both be out of work for six months without seriously harming our financial picture. I can't even imagine living paycheck to paycheck.

Does DW greet you at the door with a Martini? I could get comfy with that real quick!
Old 03-17-2006, 11:09 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Does DW greet you at the door with a Martini?*
Keep dreaming. Most of the time I am greeted by an exhausted pregnant lady (DW), two howling beagles, and an excited toddler saying "stars! moon!" because she wants to be taken outside to look at the night sky.

Much better than a martini, IMO.

- George Orwell