Join Early Retirement Today

Hello
Old 01-19-2008, 09:20 AM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Hello

I found this site a couple of weeks ago and have been lurking around to the great amusement of some of my friends and family when I send them a link to a thread here that I find useful :-)

I'm currently 30... I'll be 31 in May. I've been working for Mega-Corp (<= already picking up the lingo) since graduating college in 1999. I'm lucky enough to feel almost retired some days as I get to work from home, but I'm continually more frustrated with Mega-Corp's hypocrisy and lack of professionalism. I'm still happier than most people that I know and as long as I get to continue working from home I'll be just fine :-)

This is what my accounts look like in percentage form:

Figures are % of current gross salary

401k = 160%
Roth = 30% - max out every year
Efund = 6%
Post-Tax Portfolio = 12%
House - owe 179k with a value of 230k - looking at refinancing soon if the interest rates keep up their downward spiral. My rate is 6.25% I'm considering both 15 year and 30 year, but would rather go 30 year to keep some flexibility... especially given the current interest rates. I may be able to get a rate < my high yield savings account returns when I include the interest deduction.

I was maxing out my 401k each year, but I recently realized that if I never make another deposit to it, it should still grow to be plenty big by the time I'm 59 1/2, so I cut it back to 8% (company match) and started putting the extra cash into my post-tax brokerage account. This year the Roth 401k became available to Mega-Corp employees, so my 8% contributions are going to that while the 8% company match goes to the traditional 401k. I also have a pension worth about 40% of my current salary. Mega-Corp shifted pension deposits to the 401k this year so they will no longer add to the pension, it will just sit there and grow at 2-5% per year or so. I'm not really sure if I'm doing everything the best way for me, but I figured until my Roth IRA + Roth 401k = Traditional 401k, I'd continue with the Roth investments.

I live on about 50-55% of my gross salary, so I guess that is a good rough number to shoot for in retirement income.

OK, that was a mouthful and a half. I didn't mean to carry on so long, but I'm all hopped up on coffee and deprived of human interaction so far this morning. Hopefully I haven't just confused everyone by using %s... it makes sense to me though :-)
theHundt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2008, 09:38 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Glad to meet a fellow 30-year-old. Very impressive numbers for a young'on! Your work situation sounds great, too, and even if it changes in the future, you will still have a good stack to fall back on.

Welcome to the board!
GoodSense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 12:27 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hundt, good job on getting your financial house in order at such a young age. I wish I'd been as savvy at your age, but I proved that hard work and persistence can overcome ignorance and poor judgment.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 01:21 PM   #4
Dryer sheet aficionado

Thanks guys. I seem to flip back and forth between being happy at how far I've come and overwhelmed at how far I still have to go. I'm really glad I found this site. There is so much great information here and lot's of inspiration and support within the community.
theHundt is offline   Reply With Quote