Join Early Retirement Today

Hello! 47 y/o, 11 months post-FIRE. I love to write about + discuss FIRE topics!
Old 04-30-2021, 06:39 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Hello! 47 y/o, 11 months post-FIRE. I love to write about + discuss FIRE topics!

Howdy, everyone! I must admit that I just stumbled upon this site today, and am glad to have found it!

I'm just about 11 months post-FIRE after leaving my biotech career behind, a step I look a little over a year after achieving FI. I guess in today's parlance I'm chubbyFIRE. I'm now coming up on a year of no longer accumulating in exchange for starting the draw down. What a year I picked to do that, right? It's not hard to feel like things are going well given recent market performance. But I spend plenty of time thinking about Sequence of Returns Risk...

As for how I spend my time...A lot of it is taken up with getting settled in a new home & town - we relocated from the SF Bay Area to the CA Central Coast after I stopped working, and exploring all those hobbies I put off for years. I'm truly loving the freedom that comes to self-direct! This is precisely how I intended to start my post-FIRE life barring the near-lack of travel in recent months. I'm certainly looking forward to that changing!

One thing that I'm passionate about is sharing my FIRE experiences and helping to support others on their FIRE journey in whatever ways that I can. This has largely taken the form of getting comfortable sharing by writing a blog (which was also HUGELY helpful in processing all the emotions of leaving my career), and in more recent months, producing a YouTube channel. I won't spam those here but the links are in my profile for those interested.

The latter, "Two Sides of FI" is really my passion project. My good friend of 35+ years is also on a FIRE path and we're leveraging our relationship to talk candidly about FI/RE topics in the hopes we can share our experiences, hopes and fears, etc. with others. It's been SO much fun and I'm learning tons along the way, which is really great.

I suppose I shouldn't go on TOO long here. Suffice it to say, I'm very happy to have found the site and I look forward to interacting with y'all. I hope I can contribute to the great discussions I'm seeing and naturally have plenty of questions of my own!

-J
recoveringscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2021, 07:52 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Welcome aboard!
Old 05-01-2021, 09:56 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Welcome from another Fired Californian!!!

Grew up in SF, San Jose State and worked all over Northern and Southern CA … except never on our gorgeous Central Coast. Tried to get a spot in our SLO office several times, but never made the cut. Closest I got was miserably dry and hot summer near Kettleman City laying a pipeline back in 1988.

Lots of good info and friendly folks here. Enjoy.
1242Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 10:59 AM   #4
Confused about dryer sheets

Thanks! I am an East coast transplant and worked in SSF and then Sunnyvale for eight years in total. We visited SLO County a few times before it landed at the top of our FIRE relocation list. Given the year we've all had I'd say we are still very much exploring the area but really like it so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1242Vintage View Post
Welcome from another Fired Californian!!!

Grew up in SF, San Jose State and worked all over Northern and Southern CA … except never on our gorgeous Central Coast. Tried to get a spot in our SLO office several times, but never made the cut. Closest I got was miserably dry and hot summer near Kettleman City laying a pipeline back in 1988.

Lots of good info and friendly folks here. Enjoy.
Old 05-01-2021, 11:55 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Welcome (from another scientist)!
Old 05-01-2021, 12:57 PM   #6
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by recoveringscientist View Post
One thing that I'm passionate about is sharing my FIRE experiences and helping to support others on their FIRE journey in whatever ways that I can. This has largely taken the form of getting comfortable sharing by writing a blog (which was also HUGELY helpful in processing all the emotions of leaving my career), and in more recent months, producing a YouTube channel. I won't spam those here but the links are in my profile for those interested.

In addition to your profile, you can post a link to your blog here https://www.early-retirement.org/for...ers-64204.html
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote