life.

Hi there! I'm looking to learn some things about

early retirement. I'm interested in talking to people who have

moved to a 55 and over residence, or those who

considered it, and if not why?

I'm looking forward to living in a community which

has social activities, swimming, cooking, and enjoying

life.

Welcome! Tell us a little about yourself. I've lived in Seattle twice in my adult life and will likely retire there one day.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I'm interested in talking to people who have
moved to a 55 and over residence, ...

I have nothing personally to contribute but earlier this year there was a "Sixty Minutes" segment on a large group of "over 90" individuals. The one common denominator amongst this group was they had all joined the same "retirement community" over thirty years ago. You would be hard pressed to find a more 1st-person perspective than this.

Living to 90 and beyond - CBS News

It's always been a dream of mankind to live forever. Since the start of the 20th century, we have increased life expectancy in this country by a remarkable 30 years -- from just 49 in 1900, to almost 79 today. And more and more of us are making it into that group we all hope -- and kinda dread -- joining, the over 90 crowd, affectionately dubbed "the oldest old."
Jane Whistler: I was born on April 21st, 1914.
Ted Rosenbaum: My birthday is February 7th, 1918.
Lou Tirado: I was born on August 25th, 1920, and I'm 93+.
Ruthy Stahl: June 15, 1918, and it was-- I'm sure, a lovely day.

Lesley Stahl: Do you feel 95? What do you-- what age do you feel?
Ruthy Stahl: I feel about 52. (laugh) Not really.

What they have in common -- other than having lived a combined total of almost 400 years -- is that decades ago, they all lived in a retirement community called Leisure World 45 miles south of Los Angeles.

My mom lives in a 55+ retirement community. She and dad move there when they were about 60. In the early days, they have an active social scene where they met many new friends, hosted and attended cocktail parties and events, etc. 25 years later she is finding that most of those friends have either passed on or their health has failed and they have moved to be nearer their children (which we are trying to get mom to do).

I've visited there frequently and have enjoyed it a lot. The only uncomfortable thing is that there seem to be a LOT of old people there since we are relatively young and I'm not ready for that yet.

Back
Top Bottom