Hello and Thank You

TheRedoubt

Confused about dryer sheets
I’ve been reading this forum long enough that I guess I’d better introduce myself or get off the pot. I’m 47 and basically retired on a whim 6 years ago when work became unbearable. I had been planning on early retirement for years, basically as soon as I started working full time after college, but had been thinking of pulling the trigger when I reached 50 not at 41. At first I was nervous, not only about money but about losing my engineering skills. Now however, I can say I don’t sweat it at all. A nice bull market has certainly helped, along with the sheer enjoyment of living the life I have always wanted to live. Reading, thinking, and spending time pursuing the things that interest me is simply the best life I can imagine.

I’m really appreciative of this forum (as well as the old Motley Fool ER board and bogleheads) for all of the great information and general encouragement. Just hearing about others (is there an unclemick fan club I can join?) experiences and thoughts have turned early retirement from a dream into a reality. So, thanks everyone.

Nice to have you "out of the closet" so to speak, TheRedoubt! I'm sure others will appreciate you sharing your experience at how making ER at 41 a success, so thanks for the introduction!

TheRedoubt, 'bout time you got off the pot..:D

A belated welcome aboard

I nominate you for the coveted longest membership before posting award.

Congrats on the seven years of bliss. And the just-under eight years of e-r.org membership.

Thanks all for the kind words of welcome. HawkeyeNFO, I took the "standard" ER route. Single, no kids, engineering career, started investing right after college, lived simply and saved much. When it came time to pull the plug, megacorp was going through layoffs so I asked to be included on the list and received a generous severance. Basically I just got lucky, didn't do anything too stupid, and had enough hubris that I'd figure everything out along the way.

Back
Top Bottom