Join Early Retirement Today

Hello, back again, new story
Old 08-27-2016, 07:44 AM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

So I'm not exactly new here, but circumstances have changed a bit. Since I was here last life has been different, divorced now and my dreams have changed a bit. My goal is to fire in about 5 years when I am 45. Below is my current portfolio, just looking for some feedback on if I am crazy or you guys think it is possible. I would love to become an expat, thinking non metro area in Spain, traveling there for the first time in February to check it out. Have a friend living in Granada so I have a bit of personal insight into cost of living there so it seems doable.

Vanguard taxable: 670k
Vanguard IRA: 370k
Vanguard Roth IRA: 11k
401k:45k
Phantom stock options in private company: 240k (I count these as 0 in my net worth)
Cash: 180k (too much I know but I like a large safety net)
Home equity: 200k

I max out 401k and try to save about 3k a month in taxable account.

My friend said for a single guy you could get by on 2k a month and would be living well on 3k a month in Granada.

What do you guys think, am I just dreaming or does it look possible?
feelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2016, 08:16 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Last time you asked this question, you got some answers that said "How much do you spend?" To help you answer, check out this post: http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ire-69999.html

Do some homework - find out what the 2k/mo or 3k/mo covers, and then compare that to what you think you will spend based on your current spending and how that spending will carry over to retirement. Five years is a long time so stay flexible. You have done a great job on the saving side.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 09:09 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Should be a piece of cake to let the portfolio grow 5 years and then draw 40-50k a year from it... plus you'll likely have some SS when you are in your 60s. What does Firecalc say?

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 09:26 AM   #4
gone traveling

You did much better than me with that divorce!
Pilot2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 09:33 AM   #5
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot2013 View Post
You did much better than me with that divorce!

We both did well, I had some inheritance from my mom and thankfully I was in charge of the savings/investing while we were married. 😉

Running firecalc for 50 years with my current portfolio, not including cash or equity from home or the phantom options that are only worth something if the company sells I get 100%. I am very conservative though, so I guess that's why I ask for reassurance.

Ive done some research on rental costs, food, transport, utilities, health insurance (although that is the big unknown) and it certainly looks like 25k would cover the basics, more looks like icing on the cake.
Old 08-27-2016, 01:30 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

When do the phantom options crystalize? If you are at 100% now without the cash or home equity, why wait until 45?

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 01:37 PM   #7
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
When do the phantom options crystalize? If you are at 100% now without the cash or home equity, why wait until 45?
Not until a "qualifying event" either going public or being sold, so that's why I don't even factor them in.

The 100% is based on retiring in 5 years, not current
Old 08-27-2016, 08:11 PM   #8

If it's a clear and compelling goal to live abroad, why wait? Or, why not take a 1-2 year sabbatical and try it out since you're still young and newly free? Otherwise, my observation is that over five years one can grow roots and obligations and, possibly, relationships with people less interested in living abroad.
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 08:26 PM   #9
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markola View Post
If it's a clear and compelling goal to live abroad, why wait? Or, why not take a 1-2 year sabbatical and try it out since you're still young and newly free? Otherwise, my observation is that over five years one can grow roots and obligations and, possibly, relationships with people less interested in living abroad.
The biggest thing keeping me here right now is my dad, he isn't in great health, and with my mother passing a few years ago I don't think I could up and leave him right now. Plus, I am taking a spanish course and would like to continue taking progressing on those before I make the leap, but that is secondary at this point.
Old 08-28-2016, 04:50 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Just curious....since you apparently have never been there before, why Spain?

Not that I don't like Spain, I do, but why not Portugal, France, Italy, Croatia, etc; have you been to these places, or is it just that you have a friend in Spain?

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 07:22 AM   #11
Dryer sheet wannabe

A few reasons, my friend is there, climate, cost of living. I'm not certain I would stay there forever, but I think that is where I would like to start my expat life. I've certainly considered the other places you mentioned, and I've never visited them either other than France and Italy and they didn't really appeal to me enough to stay longer than a vacation although I wouldn't mind moving around every few months either before settling long term.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 08-28-2016, 07:22 AM   #12

Maybe they want to put their Spanish to good use? So, what about Mexico, Latin America, or South America (ex-Brazil)?
latexman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 07:40 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelan View Post
A few reasons, my friend is there, climate, cost of living. I'm not certain I would stay there forever, but I think that is where I would like to start my expat life. I've certainly considered the other places you mentioned, and I've never visited them either other than France and Italy and they didn't really appeal to me enough to stay longer than a vacation although I wouldn't mind moving around every few months either before settling long term.
Your original post just piqued my curiosity is all; you hadn't been to Spain (a major draw for many people) previously, so I wondered about the extent of your travels to date.

Moving around before committing to a long term stay in any particular city/town is a good idea, there are many to choose from....Barcelona for example.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll enjoy your visit/stay.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 08:12 AM   #14
Dryer sheet wannabe

Thank you, my plan this trip is to visit Madrid, Sevilla, Granada and Barcelona but there are so many more to explore I'll have to return

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-28-2016, 10:09 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
For costs, Croatia would beat Spain and everyone speaks English.

OTOH our friends for California spent 3 years in Antequera and bought a row home there which they still own. We visited them in 2005.
Old 08-28-2016, 10:46 AM   #16
Dryer sheet wannabe

I think Croatia will probably be my next trip to check it out, it is definitely another option I have considered

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-29-2016, 07:48 AM   #17

We have some acquaintances living in Lubrin, small village. They are not retired yet, but could probably give you a good idea about expenses outside of larger cities.

https://www.anunclutteredlife.com/our-story/
dixonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 10:55 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelan View Post
I've done some research on rental costs, food, transport, utilities, health insurance (although that is the big unknown) and it certainly looks like 25k would cover the basics, more looks like icing on the cake.
I hate to beat a dead horse but don't "think" how much you will spend. You need to "know" how much you will spend. Start tracking your expenses for couple of years. Once you "know" you current expenses then you know what to adjust based on where you move, healthcare, etc. If you move to different country then you can also use current expenses as a baseline for your lifestyle and divide/multiply them by PPP (Price Purchasing Parity). No research will tell you your expenses for YOUR lifestyle.
pjigar is online now   Reply With Quote