Join Early Retirement Today

Hello everyone, everyday is a Saturday for me~
Old 11-15-2011, 02:34 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Hello everyone, everyday is a Saturday for me~

Hello, I would like to introduce myself. My name is Charles, I retired back in 2008. I am korean-american and I will be 30 years old in December. I was born in Sacramento, California and I grew up in Los angeles and Queens, New york.

I joined the United States Navy a month before Sept. 11th 2001 and I became a Nuclear Reactor Operator Electronics Technician Petty Officer. After I got out, I worked for State Farm insurance for a couple of years until calling it quits in 2008. I have been debt free since 2009, and it is such an unreal feeling to not be shackled down at all.

I have lived in California for the past 2 years and I wake up enjoying every second.

My goals in life now are to live a happy humble life and be more compassionate towards others.
I haven't met anyone that retired yet at my age, and normally when I imply that I haven't worked, people get very negative towards me.
I was looking on this forum for something in common so I don't feel bad for retiring so early.

Happy holidays everyone~ ^_^
aoneone81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2011, 03:30 PM   #2
Dryer sheet wannabe

Hi Charles,

Don't feel bad at all about being retired at am early age.
I learned not to mention to people that i am retired as well. They tend to get upset and hate.

I retired out of law enforcement. A very stressfull job not only dealing with the public but also with your peers who were just as hating as some if the public.

I enjoyed my job but it got to the point that i wasn't sleeping at all and very stressed out. I invested 21 years with the department and at the beginning i wanted to return but after a few months i decided not to.

I am now doing part time volunteer work with my church.

I am looking to work part time and meet new people that are retired as well.

All my friends are still working with children and unable to do things.

I hope you are happy and Congrats!
Mindy
Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 03:42 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Welcome, aoneone81.

This is a great board with lots of interesting, intelligent posters, most of whom are (or are planning to be) early-retired.

I look forward to hearing more about your early retirement life.

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 03:44 PM   #4

Nice! It was terrible living this secret life. I have been this way for years. I lost many friends because of jealousy or some immature reason. For a long time I would make up stories about why I didn't work but that just made me confused with my own identity.

I spent the whole year of 2010 realizing who my real friends and family were. That was very depressing and pathetic as well.

Now I feel I have learned so much exponentially in 2011 than I have in the past 6 years of my life, it's best to move foward and I have never felt better! I guess my problem was that I cared too much for the most little things in life that other people would look over.

I'm so glad I found this site~ Now I don't have anything to worry about. I just keep looking foward to the beginning of 2012 and beyond! ^_^
Old 11-15-2011, 03:50 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Welcome. I'm interested to hear what ER is like from the standpoint of a person your age. I retired at 54 and got some razzing about retiring so early, but now I wear it as a badge of honor.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 04:10 PM   #6

Thank you everyone for your responses. Oh it was terrible for a very long time. Retirement at an early age is very frowned upon in the Asian culture. The belief system is that if you're still young and moving, it's mandatory to work until old age. That tradition still lingers, and even if you say you worked hard at a young age and made very smart financial decisions, they still won't accept the fact that you figured it out and made it.

I remember one incident in Flushing Queens, New York that I was kicked out of my complex because I told the landlord's son (who was around my age) that I didn't have to work. I went to the landlord and explained what difference did it make if I worked or not, you were still getting that check on time, but I was asked to leave, and I left.

Anyways, I rarely say anything about my personal info now. Especially in these times where you can't trust anyone/anything anymore. I am korean and I hate to admit it, but I have to say, koreans are one of THE most shallow people ever.

I learned to live the quiet life now. I am the only child, my parents divorced when I was very little, and I as a child I was always into books.

I enjoy staying home and learning all the things I was always curious about. Everytime I go to the supermarket in the mornings it is nice to see calm and collective people, and it has been a stress buster for sure! ^_^
Old 11-15-2011, 04:43 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Welcome aoneone81.

I'm korean as well and in my low 30s. I think you're the only korean I know who retired early and LBYM. What's wrong with you!!! Get back to work!!! jk

I know what you mean by koreans being shallow but I'm sure you can say that about any other culture. I think people in general are like that. Sometimes I share my LBYM idea with other people (koreans and non-koreans) and some people think I'm crazy or others think I'm doing great but they probably won't do that same.

Don't really have anything to add except there is at least one korean out there who understands you. Also, why don't you try becoming a pro starcraft player with your free time?
HatePayingTaxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 04:59 PM   #8

Haha, I play 3rd strike online very competitively, and I play Texas hold'em from time to time.

I've always been into numbers ever since I could remember. I am just finally learning about odds and the correct percentages and it is really fascinating.

I am also learning how to cook and to me nothing is greater than making my own food at home! I enjoy it a lot actually, it is therapeutic.

I've never been into Starcraft, but I knew a friend years back who played it religiously. Take care~!
Old 11-15-2011, 05:52 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Zerg rush! Kekekeke

Good for you for getting done with work early, and getting started on living early.

Think about how you want to spend you time, and what is most important to you. And luckily, you have the freedom to do that!

Welcome.
arebelspy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 05:56 PM   #10
Dryer sheet wannabe

Thankyou!!
Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:16 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I can see this would be a problem. Consider a cover story. It can even be true.

You could tell people you are a writer or a researcher or a biblical scholar or a consultant or a private investor (all of which would invite further questions) or insurance salesman (that would stop all further questions!) You could use your financial independence to do something you like to do on a regular basis, like volunteer at a local university to catalog collections, or work for GreenPeace or become a volunteer fireman.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:25 PM   #12

Thank you for so much advice~!

I think I will consider doing some community service for the better. I used to do community service work at the Pasadena Humane Society back in 1996 and I absolutely loved it! I think I'll look into it!

Thanks again and happy holidays! ^_^

P.S. I do tell people that I am a researcher! I still go on base from time to time I still have my stickers and if they ask more, I just tell them my confidentiality from my Nuclear days in the Navy.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:15 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Hi aoneone81,

welcome to the forum.

I feel your pain. I retired at 36 but I do not discuss my retired status with strangers. For them, I am a "consultant". I "work" from home but I am often "between clients" which accounts for my generous free time and flexible schedule. When someone asks further questions, I go all technical on them and watch their eyes glaze over. End of the discussion.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:35 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Welcome aoneone81,

I'm old enough to be your Mom and I'm still w*rking, and I think its way cool that you have ER'd.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 08:24 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aoneone81 View Post

I think I will consider doing some community service for the better. I used to do community service work at the Pasadena Humane Society back in 1996 and I absolutely loved it! I think I'll look into it!

P.S. I do tell people that I am a researcher! I still go on base from time to time I still have my stickers and if they ask more, I just tell them my confidentiality from my Nuclear days in the Navy.
Ah! You already reached that level of wisdom.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:28 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

What income sources do you have in retirement?

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 08:37 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm not Korean and not retired. But I say Well Done and Bravo!
WB52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:04 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by FD View Post
Hi aoneone81,

welcome to the forum.

I feel your pain. I retired at 36 but I do not discuss my retired status with strangers. For them, I am a "consultant". I "work" from home but I am often "between clients" which accounts for my generous free time and flexible schedule. When someone asks further questions, I go all technical on them and watch their eyes glaze over. End of the discussion.
I agree with you one thousand percent! If I get too technicial I sometimes see them yawn or gradually seeing their expression as their thought de-rails at some junction point and then I ask myself why do I waste my time ... I couldn't agree with you more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Welcome aoneone81,

I'm old enough to be your Mom and I'm still w*rking, and I think its way cool that you have ER'd.
Please retire soon!~ ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
Ah! You already reached that level of wisdom.
I had to grow up pretty quickly during my adolescence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
What income sources do you have in retirement?
A steady source of income.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worker Bee View Post
I'm not Korean and not retired. But I say Well Done and Bravo!
Thank you sir!
Old 11-18-2011, 09:16 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the board, Charles.

Quote:
I joined the United States Navy a month before Sept. 11th 2001 and I became a Nuclear Reactor Operator Electronics Technician Petty Officer.
Gumby, M_Paquette, me, and now a fourth. This has to be some sort of statistical anomaly...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 09:28 AM   #20
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Gumby, M_Paquette, me, and now a fourth. This has to be some sort of statistical anomaly...
I think the fact all you guys glow in the dark makes it easier to locate one another...