Hello everyone, everyday is a Saturday for me~

aoneone81

Confused about dryer sheets
Hello, I would like to introduce myself. My name is Charles, I retired back in 2008. I am korean-american and I will be 30 years old in December. I was born in Sacramento, California and I grew up in Los angeles and Queens, New york.

I joined the United States Navy a month before Sept. 11th 2001 and I became a Nuclear Reactor Operator Electronics Technician Petty Officer. After I got out, I worked for State Farm insurance for a couple of years until calling it quits in 2008. I have been debt free since 2009, and it is such an unreal feeling to not be shackled down at all.

I have lived in California for the past 2 years and I wake up enjoying every second.

My goals in life now are to live a happy humble life and be more compassionate towards others.
I haven't met anyone that retired yet at my age, and normally when I imply that I haven't worked, people get very negative towards me.
I was looking on this forum for something in common so I don't feel bad for retiring so early.

Happy holidays everyone~ ^_^

Last edited:
Hi Charles,

Don't feel bad at all about being retired at am early age.
I learned not to mention to people that i am retired as well. They tend to get upset and hate.

I retired out of law enforcement. A very stressfull job not only dealing with the public but also with your peers who were just as hating as some if the public.

I enjoyed my job but it got to the point that i wasn't sleeping at all and very stressed out. I invested 21 years with the department and at the beginning i wanted to return but after a few months i decided not to.

I am now doing part time volunteer work with my church.

I am looking to work part time and meet new people that are retired as well.

All my friends are still working with children and unable to do things.

I hope you are happy and Congrats!
Mindy

Welcome, aoneone81.

This is a great board with lots of interesting, intelligent posters, most of whom are (or are planning to be) early-retired.

I look forward to hearing more about your early retirement life.

omni

Nice! It was terrible living this secret life. I have been this way for years. I lost many friends because of jealousy or some immature reason. For a long time I would make up stories about why I didn't work but that just made me confused with my own identity.

I spent the whole year of 2010 realizing who my real friends and family were. That was very depressing and pathetic as well.

Now I feel I have learned so much exponentially in 2011 than I have in the past 6 years of my life, it's best to move foward and I have never felt better! I guess my problem was that I cared too much for the most little things in life that other people would look over.

I'm so glad I found this site~ Now I don't have anything to worry about. I just keep looking foward to the beginning of 2012 and beyond! ^_^

Welcome. I'm interested to hear what ER is like from the standpoint of a person your age. I retired at 54 and got some razzing about retiring so early, but now I wear it as a badge of honor.

Thank you everyone for your responses. Oh it was terrible for a very long time. Retirement at an early age is very frowned upon in the Asian culture. The belief system is that if you're still young and moving, it's mandatory to work until old age. That tradition still lingers, and even if you say you worked hard at a young age and made very smart financial decisions, they still won't accept the fact that you figured it out and made it.

I remember one incident in Flushing Queens, New York that I was kicked out of my complex because I told the landlord's son (who was around my age) that I didn't have to work. I went to the landlord and explained what difference did it make if I worked or not, you were still getting that check on time, but I was asked to leave, and I left.

Anyways, I rarely say anything about my personal info now. Especially in these times where you can't trust anyone/anything anymore. I am korean and I hate to admit it, but I have to say, koreans are one of THE most shallow people ever.

I learned to live the quiet life now. I am the only child, my parents divorced when I was very little, and I as a child I was always into books.

I enjoy staying home and learning all the things I was always curious about. Everytime I go to the supermarket in the mornings it is nice to see calm and collective people, and it has been a stress buster for sure! ^_^

Welcome aoneone81.

I'm korean as well and in my low 30s. I think you're the only korean I know who retired early and LBYM. What's wrong with you!!! Get back to work!!! jk

I know what you mean by koreans being shallow but I'm sure you can say that about any other culture. I think people in general are like that. Sometimes I share my LBYM idea with other people (koreans and non-koreans) and some people think I'm crazy or others think I'm doing great but they probably won't do that same.

Don't really have anything to add except there is at least one korean out there who understands you. Also, why don't you try becoming a pro starcraft player with your free time?

Haha, I play 3rd strike online very competitively, and I play Texas hold'em from time to time.

I've always been into numbers ever since I could remember. I am just finally learning about odds and the correct percentages and it is really fascinating.

I am also learning how to cook and to me nothing is greater than making my own food at home! I enjoy it a lot actually, it is therapeutic.

I've never been into Starcraft, but I knew a friend years back who played it religiously. Take care~!

Zerg rush! Kekekeke

Good for you for getting done with work early, and getting started on living early.

Think about how you want to spend you time, and what is most important to you. And luckily, you have the freedom to do that!

Welcome.

I can see this would be a problem. Consider a cover story. It can even be true.

You could tell people you are a writer or a researcher or a biblical scholar or a consultant or a private investor (all of which would invite further questions) or insurance salesman (that would stop all further questions!) You could use your financial independence to do something you like to do on a regular basis, like volunteer at a local university to catalog collections, or work for GreenPeace or become a volunteer fireman.

Thank you for so much advice~!

I think I will consider doing some community service for the better. I used to do community service work at the Pasadena Humane Society back in 1996 and I absolutely loved it! I think I'll look into it!

Thanks again and happy holidays! ^_^

P.S. I do tell people that I am a researcher! I still go on base from time to time I still have my stickers and if they ask more, I just tell them my confidentiality from my Nuclear days in the Navy.

Hi aoneone81,

welcome to the forum.

I feel your pain. I retired at 36 but I do not discuss my retired status with strangers. For them, I am a "consultant". I "work" from home but I am often "between clients" which accounts for my generous free time and flexible schedule. When someone asks further questions, I go all technical on them and watch their eyes glaze over. End of the discussion.

Welcome aoneone81,

I'm old enough to be your Mom and I'm still w*rking, and I think its way cool that you have ER'd.

I think I will consider doing some community service for the better. I used to do community service work at the Pasadena Humane Society back in 1996 and I absolutely loved it! I think I'll look into it!

P.S. I do tell people that I am a researcher! I still go on base from time to time I still have my stickers and if they ask more, I just tell them my confidentiality from my Nuclear days in the Navy.

Ah! You already reached that level of wisdom. :cool:

What income sources do you have in retirement?

I'm not Korean and not retired. But I say Well Done and Bravo!:dance:

Hi aoneone81,

welcome to the forum.

I feel your pain. I retired at 36 but I do not discuss my retired status with strangers. For them, I am a "consultant". I "work" from home but I am often "between clients" which accounts for my generous free time and flexible schedule. When someone asks further questions, I go all technical on them and watch their eyes glaze over. End of the discussion.

I agree with you one thousand percent! If I get too technicial I sometimes see them yawn or gradually seeing their expression as their thought de-rails at some junction point and then I ask myself why do I waste my time ... I couldn't agree with you more!

Welcome aoneone81,

I'm old enough to be your Mom and I'm still w*rking, and I think its way cool that you have ER'd.

Please retire soon!~ ^_^

Ah! You already reached that level of wisdom. :cool:

I had to grow up pretty quickly during my adolescence.

What income sources do you have in retirement?

A steady source of income.

I'm not Korean and not retired. But I say Well Done and Bravo!:dance:

Thank you sir!

Last edited:
Welcome to the board, Charles.

I joined the United States Navy a month before Sept. 11th 2001 and I became a Nuclear Reactor Operator Electronics Technician Petty Officer.
Gumby, M_Paquette, me, and now a fourth. This has to be some sort of statistical anomaly...

Welcome, aoneone81. My son is an ET nuclear reactor operator. He cant wait to finish his active duty time. Did your time as nuke contribute to your ability to ER?

Welcome to the board, Charles.

Gumby, M_Paquette, me, and now a fourth. This has to be some sort of statistical anomaly...

Nah. Just like reaching financial independence and retiring early, being a nuke requires a certain amount of obsessive-compulsive behavior. Similar personality traits for both goals...

Last edited:
Glowing in the dark is just a bonus. That's gotta be handy for night surfing...
One shark to another: "Chewy on the outside, crunchy on the inside, and they glow so that you can find them more easily!"

Back
Top Bottom