Hello from an Early retiree blogger

2HourAppreneur

Confused about dryer sheets
Hi Everyone,

This is my first visit to Early Retirement.org. I retired 3 years ago at 50 years old after I sold my software company. I now enjoy golf, cycling, fitness, and blogging.

I blog about lifestyle freedom, financial independence and technology.

Great to meet everyone.

Last edited:
Excellent congrats !!! Lots of life to live

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Welcome 2HourAppreneur.

Welcome!

"The term appreneur is a neologism that combines the term entrepreneur and the term application software. An appreneur is specifically an entrepreneur who works in the mobile device application industry, as well as in the emerging micropayment economy."

Huh. Interesting. Would you expound on your handle please?

welcome and congrats on your successful venture that lead to ER.
Cheers!

Welcome and congrats! Hope to hear more from you in the future,

Welcome. How about a link to your blog?
Just a reminder - blog spam is against the rules. But this user does have a blog link (allowed) in their profile.

If you are curious about their (or any member's) site you can click on their user name and select the visit homepage option.

FWIW, poking around the OP's blog I came across this:

-------------------

How I Did It

I’ve created a formula for driving blog traffic and growing social followers. It takes a bit of work, but here are the high-level techniques to get it done:

• Create great content, content your audience will enjoy
  • Blog at least twice a week, every 3 days is ideal
  • Follow Twitter accounts that enjoy the topics you write about, they will follow you back, I use Crowdfire for this.
  • Tweet once an hour between the hours of 6 am and 11 pm, I use ViralContentBuzz for this.
  • Repurpose your blogs on other major syndication platforms like Medium and Niume
  • Build relationships with other bloggers, comment on their blogs, guest post, and help each other get the word out
  • Make your content easy-to-share and have clear call-to-actions

-------------------

I guess he should add "Join Early Retirement forums" to his list of High-Level Techniques To Grow Social Followers. :cool:

Last edited:
Yeah, somehow I think he joined ours and other forums on the webinet just to grow his social followers and drive blog traffic (and a blog post about blogging! Perfect. The python is eating his tail?). Blah. Our membership is being mined for blog clicks.

Last edited:
Well, hopefully I was the only blog hit (or one of only a few) he scored off of this forum. :rolleyes:

I'll save you folks the trouble, it wasn't particularly interesting.

Well, hopefully I was the only blog hit (or one of only a few) he scored off of this forum. :rolleyes:

I'll save you folks the trouble, it wasn't particularly interesting.
I'll second that. Some reviews of apps he likes (nothing really to do with ER--more like a shopping list app, for example), and reblogs of other blogs. Don't bother.

I have issues with calling yourself retired if you insist on tweeting once an hour every day from 6am to 11pm. That sounds like work to me.

I have issues with calling yourself retired if you insist on tweeting once an hour every day from 6am to 11pm. That sounds like work to me.

For two years, I ran a blog where I posted once or twice a week, tweeted occasionally, and generated tens of thousands of hits over the course of that time mostly due to quality content rather than advertising and social interaction. I never monetized that blog, but I learned a lot about it and how to monetize blogs, AdSense, etc. More to the point, I learned how much work is required to run a blog with quality content and what a time sink it can be, particularly while balancing a full-time job, competition, and a marriage.

I 100% agree that if you are blogging 3 times a week, tweeting once an hour, and spending as much time as his list requires in order to generate a successful, income-generating, highly trafficked blog, you are anything but "retired."

I only spent a couple of minutes reading this thread but I already feel a bit used.

I 100% agree that if you are blogging 3 times a week, tweeting once an hour, and spending as much time as his list requires in order to generate a successful, income-generating, highly trafficked blog, you are anything but "retired."

On that note, I had found the section I copied in my post above under a tab in the OP's blog labeled ...
Hire Me.

:LOL:

Last edited:

FWIW, I have a blog and I know there are apps you can use to pre-write your social media posts and then they are automatically sent out when you have scheduled them. So, you don't actually have to sit around personally doing it every hour or whatever. I haven't yet used once of those apps, but they exist.

I actually do blog every couple of days or so and spend quite a bit of time on it. I have a Facebook page for it that I also tend to and I do use twitter (although not every hour for sure).

It does take time, but for me it is a hobby. I enjoy do it. I haven't actually monetized it. But, I've sometimes had a thought about putting some ads on there, mostly to try to cover the expenses I have with the blog. It would be nice to have those covered.

Since the blog has only cost me money and I haven't earned anything from it, it clearly isn't work for me. On the other hand, I am hard pressed to think that if I put a couple of ads on there, it would suddenly disqualify me from early retirement qualification.*

* Most here would probably disqualify me anyway. I do an average of about half a day of work from home each week. Some weeks it is more and some weeks it is nothing. It is no way is financially necessary, but I do get paid for it.

On the other hand, I am hard pressed to think that if I put a couple of ads on there, it would suddenly disqualify me from early retirement qualification.

It's not whether or not he "qualifies" as an early retiree.

Kats, my beef with the OP is that, as far as I can tell, he joined this forum and represented himself as an early retiree (and, basically advertised his blog) for the sole purpose of "driving [his] blog traffic and growing [his] social followers".

I seriously doubt you fall in that category. :)

Last edited:
It's not whether or not he "qualifies" as an early retiree.

Kats, my beef with the OP is that, as far as I can tell, he joined this forum and represented himself as an early retiree (and, basically advertised his blog) for the sole purpose of "driving [his] blog traffic and growing [his] social followers".

I seriously doubt you fall in that category. :)

Oh, I agree with you about the OP. Was just musing about the things in my post in general...not about the OP.

Clickbait at its finest.

I listened to a set of interviews recently from FinCon and they were filled with youngsters claiming to be retired and wanting to share their story in their blogs. Some of the interviews actually deteriorated to a discussion about nothing more than blogging strategies (probably because it was a blogger/podcaster conducting them). I heard references to MMM and ERE so I think many may have been inspired to use a retirement claim as a business model.

Back
Top Bottom