Hello from Canada

blacktea

Confused about dryer sheets
Hello, I am blacktea from Canada.

I am 44 and wish to retire and travel now.
My plan is either live in a motor home and travel Cheaper European country !
Or
Jump in my car and head to Central america !

I think i am very close to able to manage, i am used to living very very frugal.
I have not seen a movie in the cinema for more than five years and eat at restaurant no more than twice a year ! Hehe, i am cheap.
I have no friends so that makes it easy .

Anyhow, i have a real serious question to ask you expert investor here.
Which will determine if my dream to retire early is possible.

I have come across some very high interest paying GIC in a number of countries in Europe.
Russia, Bulgaria, Armenia , Azerbaijan.
Theses banks are paying anywhere from 8 to 10 % P.A. on Euro account.
Considering a 4% withdraw, my saving will actually be growing every year.

So, my question. How safe my money will be in the above countries ?

Thank you

Bleaktea

Hi Blacktea, and welcome to the forum! Congratulations on your approaching retirement -- it's nice to see your frugal lifestyle paying rewards.

I can't comment specifically on the investments you listed, since I have no experience or knowledge with them. But I do think you can pretty much depend on the risk/return relationship -- higher returns come with higher risk. And there is possible additional risk in investing in foreign currencies, so I'd be nervous about Euro-based investments unless I lived in a Euro country.

Good luck with your retirement! Your plans sound like great fun.

Coach

Welcome blacktea. 8-10% on a Euro account sounds great but have you seen the latest news? Greece may default and this may lead to the demise of the Eurozone. I think the currency risk is too high for your whole nestegg. I'm from Europe, and I have nothing to speak of in Euro investments.

Ask yourself why these accounts are paying 8-10%, (the maximum 5 year Canadian $ GIC will currently give ~ 3.5%, and the average pays ~ 2.8%), and how stable/reliable the institutions offering these rates are.

Banks/other financial outlets don't pay out more than they have to, and the fact that these places have to speaks volumes about the risk factor.

Me, I wouldn't go near them. YMMV.

Thanks for the reply everyone.
I am afraid without the high interest, i will have work many many more years.

There is something doesn't make sense about our interest rate, 3.5% on five year GIC. Yet 19.99 % interest if you pay your credit card late.

So, where would you invest your money if you were to retire right now ? Stocks ?

Here is a couple link to the banks paying 8% interest for those that are curious .

First Investment Bank - Two-year Deposit Account with a Progressive Interest Rate

International Bank of Azerbaijan

why ?

When i reply with more than one sentence , it did not show ?

Posts from new members containing links require moderator review before they are posted. The goal is to cut down on spam. We'll see if it works.

Back
Top Bottom