Hello from Colorado - newly RIF/retired

outabout

Dryer sheet aficionado
I am a longtime lurker on the forum, I have been reading posts regularly and learned lots of valuable information/advice.

I am 54 and hubby is 63. Hubby retired 4 years ago, I planned to retire in 3-5 years, it has been quite a drag going to work the last couple years. But I was hesitating and having OMY syndrome. I also wanted to have company's severance package so didn't want to quit. DH would say "I hope you get laid off today" when I left for work every morning.

Well, his wish came true last month. My company is experiencing financial problem and offered a voluntary retirement package. I was not qualified because I was a few months younger than the cut-off age. Then they started reduction in force and I got laid off.

Here I am, retired, sort of semi-involuntary, but I will take it. So far I am enjoying my freedom. We have 2 golden retriever dogs, they are our dear and spoiled "kids", we don't have human kids. It is so nice to be able to take a cup of coffee, sit on the deck in sunshine and watch the doggies chewing on their bones.

We are in Denver area, so far the weather has been much warmer than normal, but snow will come for sure. I just wanted to say Hi to everyone, I will post and ask for some finance advice pretty soon.

Welcome outabout.

My husband used to wish me the same thing (I hope you get laid off today, honey!).

Life is good when you don't have to go to work.

Wecome aboard, outabout!

Now you can figure out what retirees do all day. LOL

omni

Welcome. You will see that there are numerous Colorado folks on this site. Combining ER with the west is a great combo.

Greetings from a fellow resident of Colorado. I just recently moved back to Colorado and am enjoying this great weather. The hiking trails in the city, the foothills, and up in the mountains are wonderful. I'm sure you will enjoy the time you will have to do these and many other things in retirement.

Hermit

Last edited:
Welcome from another CO resident; I am coming up on a year of ER, but DW has ~10 months to retire (Time requirement for FERS). It's has been great not having to go to w*rk, waiting for DW to ER is a little bit of a drag, but in time it will come too. No kids for use either, but we have the two Yorkies to keep us busy, only thing is it makes it difficult to travel having to find someone to watch them since most of our travel is overseas.

Welcome again and have a great time in ER.

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on getting out! Did the involuntary separation package include some severance or similar as the voluntary separation package that you were just shy of eligibility?

Thanks everyone for the welcome! I am so looking forward to the retired life, lots of projects that have been put off for years, lots more travel (we are already traveling quite a bit). We mostly travel with our 5th wheel and our furry kids go where ever we go.

Did the involuntary separation package include some severance or similar as the voluntary separation package that you were just shy of eligibility?

Yes I did get the package, not very generous (which is the reason not too many people took up on the offer) but not too bad.

Hi all you Denver folks. I am from Texas but recently visited and thought about having a summer home there when we retire a few years away 5 or 6. Are small older homes reasonable? I thought we need to make few more trips to find an area we really liked. Red rock was wonderful :)
Thanks
Jack

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

There are a lot of people from Texas that have summer places up in the mountains. Prices are as varied as locations. In general, the closer to Denver the higher the prices.

Welcome outabout. Hope your new retirement is going well.

Back
Top Bottom