Join Early Retirement Today

Hello from CT
Old 07-17-2019, 02:30 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Hello from CT

Hey all. Living and working in CT with wife and late teen. Just bought a house in FL this year with plans to move residence there in 2 years (or less ) and "Rewire" at 58. Will keep house in CT for 5-10 years (we think). Really enjoy reading this forum. Cheers.
PJHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2019, 02:36 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Welcome aboard! Also in CT (24 years) and can't wait to retire and split! Beautiful state but taxes, taxes and taxes....and still more to come.
Ready2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 02:52 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Welcome to the forum.
kimcdougc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 02:53 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready2Go View Post
Welcome aboard! Also in CT (24 years) and can't wait to retire and split! Beautiful state but taxes, taxes and taxes....and still more to come.

Same here (23 years) - looking forward to moving away from the winters and taxes.
bltkmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome aboard!
Old 07-17-2019, 03:10 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome aboard!

When I left Southbury, CT in 1981, there was no state income tax. Sister and parents lived in Waterbury. Now the state residents are drowning in taxes and Waterbury is pretty much a third world nation. All my previous CT friends relocated to Fl or other southern states from what I can find out.

Parents have passed, sister and her spouse and kids still exist in Waterbury.

No going back for us.

Good luck in Florida!
Old 07-17-2019, 05:38 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Welcome! Also from CT and this once beautiful state to live in has unfortunately taxed its citizens to the point where we will also be leaving the state. It's a shame what has happened!
DektolMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 06:20 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Welcome to the forum. Where in Florida did you buy? We just bought a house in Florida (Citrus County) this past March. We plan to spend about 5 months or so down there each year (winter months), but also plan to keep our house in Michigan, for now.
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 06:48 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Welcome to our wonderful forum from another Floridian.
Old 07-17-2019, 07:22 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Nice- I live in CT, beautiful state but way too expensive to early retire here. I live in Wilton. As soon as kids are out of the nest, I am sure I will do something similar. Congrats.
StuckinCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 07:40 PM   #10
Administrator

Welcome, PJHawk. I'm also in Connecticut (entirely by choice; I didn't grow up here). Yes, taxes are high, but I factored that in to my retirement budget. I enjoy living here and intend to stay until they carry me out horizontally.
Old 07-18-2019, 06:24 AM   #11
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAE View Post
Welcome to the forum. Where in Florida did you buy? We just bought a house in Florida (Citrus County) this past March. We plan to spend about 5 months or so down there each year (winter months), but also plan to keep our house in Michigan, for now.
Sanibel. Renting the house for now, but using when we can.
PJHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 07:50 AM   #12

Welcome. Keep the house in CT for a few years is the right thing to do.

I have splitting my time between OR and FL for three years. I did not keep my house in OR, I sold it and bought a townhouse in OR and a house in FL.

If I get to do it again, I would buy a condo in FL and keep the old house in OR.
neihn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 09:11 AM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by neihn View Post
Welcome. Keep the house in CT for a few years is the right thing to do.

I have splitting my time between OR and FL for three years. I did not keep my house in OR, I sold it and bought a townhouse in OR and a house in FL.

If I get to do it again, I would buy a condo in FL and keep the old house in OR.
Interesting. Why is that?
Old 07-18-2019, 10:23 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
Interesting. Why is that?
Although, I love the warm weather in the winter, and the beach in FL.

But I really miss the four seasons in OR, the beautiful landscape, the outdoor activities of all seasons (hiking, camping, skiing), like mind friends, also all my extended families (kids, siblings) are in OR.

A bigger house in OR to host families and friends is a better use than the whole house just for two of us here in FL :-)
Old 07-18-2019, 01:22 PM   #15
Dryer sheet aficionado

Welcome! I am also in CT, where schools are great, taxes are high and healthcare is expensive. Our kids are still young, so we will be stuck here for a while.
Housewife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 01:58 PM   #16

I was commuting to South bury CT from Portland OR - fly to JFK, pick up rental car and drive to South bury almost every single week for 2 years (2010, 2011). I paid state tax for both OR and CT, however, mega-corp reimbursed me CT state tax. So yes, I knew about CT income tax. However, it is such a beautiful country up there - and with in a few hours you could be in Boston, NYC etc...

Here in FL, driving few hours (3 - 4 hrs) you are still in FL :-)
Old 07-18-2019, 04:23 PM   #17
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Grew up in Manchester and graduated from HS there over 50 years ago. It was a very nice environment in which to grow up. My parents retired to Cape Cod while I was in college. I've only been back there very occasionally in the past 40 years or so. I know much has changed in both the town and the state since then but my memories are very positive.
Old 07-18-2019, 08:50 PM   #18

Welcome to the forum.

I lived in CT, with family, for a year during middle school. I still have lots of family there, on both sides, and my mother was born on a farm in Southbury in 1918. Then I worked there from 1987 to 1989. Bought my first house ever, in Coventry, during that time, a small lake house with a propane wall furnace. Taxes were not too bad then, as I recall, but have gone way up since. Winters were relatively moderate, at least compared to say upstate NY, where I also once lived.
mamadogmamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 05:53 AM   #19
Dryer sheet aficionado

Hello, and I'm also in CT.
db79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 08:46 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Welcome from another Connecticut neighbor. The news just had a story the other night about a poll that said that 47% of the residents of Connecticut planned to leave the state in the next five years. Well I doubt that will happen but it shows what the state of the state is here.

We always planned to move up to New Hampshire after retirement but life happened. Our three kids are still all living nearby with two grandkids so here we are! We decided that there just wasn't an overwhelming reason to move any more. Sure it costs a little more to stay and maybe the politics here can get on my nerves. But the savings we would realize by moving aren't that significant and no matter where you go you'll have political bs.

So now we're putting money into the house to make some improvements that we want and have no plans to go anywhere.
SteveNU is offline   Reply With Quote