Hello from MN

Timeout

Dryer sheet wannabe
Hi. My name is Tim and I'm looking forward to learning from some early retirees on how to live out the dream of quitting work and beginning the next stage of life. I'm extremely grateful to be in the position to even contemplate early retirement but also I'm also keeping in mind that I do have a wife and two minor children.

Welcome aboard Tim!

I too retired in 2000 with two minor children It was not a "normal" retirement as school, Scouts, and soccer somewhat ruled the scheduling of our time.

Yeah, while although I'm not yet retired, I'm blessed to have very good people that work for me that allow me to be away from day to day stuff quite a bit. Also, being naturally somewhat lazy, I'm always searching for ways to avoid work. I believe I've gotten pretty good at it. :)

I know what you mean though by family life requiring me to be engaged, present and not being free to roam around like I probably would. What sort of things did you allow yourself to do to "feel" retired while being a parent to young kids?

I know what you mean though by family life requiring me to be engaged, present and not being free to roam around like I probably would. What sort of things did you allow yourself to do to "feel" retired while being a parent to young kids?

The ability to become a fully engaged and present parent was the deciding factor in accepting an early retirement offer by my employer!! I no longer had the stress and travel required by a "career" j*b to interfere with being a constant presence in my sons lives (they were 3 and 1 when I retired). I retired TO being a parent.

I do still work three months of the year, where the boys see a more typical Dad going of to work....but fortunately the job is not a career and I generally decide my own hours. To keep them well grounded, I've kept the family lifestyle rather moderate, no McMansion, only buy used cars, no interest in "Big Boy Toys" (but we did inherit a fishing boat from their grandfather). Before high school we traveled a lot as a family, with a pop-up camper. Lately, I've encouraged them to be self-reliant, earn their own money with summer jobs. Could I provide for all their wants....sure, but what would they learn from that except an entitlement attitude. But they will finish college with no loans

I'm the Dad that that can always be available for whatever: coach 6th grade soccer team, transport and participate in Boy Scout campouts (had a great time on a week long backcountry canoe trip this summer), treasurer of (it seems) every activity they get involved in, walk to school with them when younger, be home when they return. I'm the typical soccer Dad, complete with minivan.

Starting the transition to them moving out, older one in college, younger one gone in a year. Then, wife and I can move to more of what most folks consider a typical retirement.

Tim, it sounds like you are a business owner who is slowly distancing himself from his business. If so, we should connect as I'm in the same position and live in MN (east side metro).

Welcome to the club!

Tim, it sounds like you are a business owner who is slowly distancing himself from his business. If so, we should connect as I'm in the same position and live in MN (east side metro).

Welcome to the club!

I'd say you're pretty accurate on describing where I'm at with my career. I've been self employed for 15 years with about 30 employees at any given time. If it weren't for a few key people, I'm thinking efforts to exit would accelerate tremendously. That being said, I could also rattle off just a few challenging circumstances that make early retirement a welcome thought and if it weren't for those, perhaps sticking around would be more appealing. I've been blessed big time, that can't be denied, but I also can't deny the day to day stress that has cumulative affects.

I guess that's the nature of the beast when it comes to the working world - the good with the bad. We can always point out the positives with the negatives but I am on this site searching the many good reasons to make a plan for early retirement. It's a leap for sure and up to this point I make sure I talk openly with my wife and make her aware of my state of mind. She's very supportive and I believe that we're taking things as they come, thinking that we'll know when the time is right. I imagine everyone is looking for the neon sign telling them when to jump. Right?

Back
Top Bottom