Join Early Retirement Today

Hello from MN
Old 09-17-2016, 05:33 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Hello from MN

Hi. My name is Tim and I'm looking forward to learning from some early retirees on how to live out the dream of quitting work and beginning the next stage of life. I'm extremely grateful to be in the position to even contemplate early retirement but also I'm also keeping in mind that I do have a wife and two minor children.
Timeout is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2016, 07:07 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Welcome aboard Tim!

I too retired in 2000 with two minor children It was not a "normal" retirement as school, Scouts, and soccer somewhat ruled the scheduling of our time.
RE2Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 07:27 PM   #3
Dryer sheet wannabe

Yeah, while although I'm not yet retired, I'm blessed to have very good people that work for me that allow me to be away from day to day stuff quite a bit. Also, being naturally somewhat lazy, I'm always searching for ways to avoid work. I believe I've gotten pretty good at it.

I know what you mean though by family life requiring me to be engaged, present and not being free to roam around like I probably would. What sort of things did you allow yourself to do to "feel" retired while being a parent to young kids?
Old 09-17-2016, 08:18 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Welcome!
Katiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 06:56 AM   #5

Welcome Tim from another Minnesotan.
jfn111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 09:07 AM   #6

Welcome Tim! If you haven't seen them yet, there are two excellent resources here that might be useful or at least interesting as you start planning:

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ire-69999.html

and

Early Retirement FAQs - Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

We'll do our best to answer your questions also - lots of friendly and knowledgeable folks hang out here!
MBAustin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 09:28 AM   #7

Welcome aboard Tim
Old 09-19-2016, 08:35 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeout View Post

I know what you mean though by family life requiring me to be engaged, present and not being free to roam around like I probably would. What sort of things did you allow yourself to do to "feel" retired while being a parent to young kids?
The ability to become a fully engaged and present parent was the deciding factor in accepting an early retirement offer by my employer!! I no longer had the stress and travel required by a "career" j*b to interfere with being a constant presence in my sons lives (they were 3 and 1 when I retired). I retired TO being a parent.

I do still work three months of the year, where the boys see a more typical Dad going of to work....but fortunately the job is not a career and I generally decide my own hours. To keep them well grounded, I've kept the family lifestyle rather moderate, no McMansion, only buy used cars, no interest in "Big Boy Toys" (but we did inherit a fishing boat from their grandfather). Before high school we traveled a lot as a family, with a pop-up camper. Lately, I've encouraged them to be self-reliant, earn their own money with summer jobs. Could I provide for all their wants....sure, but what would they learn from that except an entitlement attitude. But they will finish college with no loans

I'm the Dad that that can always be available for whatever: coach 6th grade soccer team, transport and participate in Boy Scout campouts (had a great time on a week long backcountry canoe trip this summer), treasurer of (it seems) every activity they get involved in, walk to school with them when younger, be home when they return. I'm the typical soccer Dad, complete with minivan.

Starting the transition to them moving out, older one in college, younger one gone in a year. Then, wife and I can move to more of what most folks consider a typical retirement.
RE2Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 09:24 AM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfn111 View Post
Welcome Tim from another Minnesotan.
+1
mn54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 05:00 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Tim, it sounds like you are a business owner who is slowly distancing himself from his business. If so, we should connect as I'm in the same position and live in MN (east side metro).

Welcome to the club!
YeahNo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 09:48 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Welcome Tim from another Minnesotan (east side metro also).
Johanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 05:00 PM   #12
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeahNo View Post
Tim, it sounds like you are a business owner who is slowly distancing himself from his business. If so, we should connect as I'm in the same position and live in MN (east side metro).

Welcome to the club!
I'd say you're pretty accurate on describing where I'm at with my career. I've been self employed for 15 years with about 30 employees at any given time. If it weren't for a few key people, I'm thinking efforts to exit would accelerate tremendously. That being said, I could also rattle off just a few challenging circumstances that make early retirement a welcome thought and if it weren't for those, perhaps sticking around would be more appealing. I've been blessed big time, that can't be denied, but I also can't deny the day to day stress that has cumulative affects.

I guess that's the nature of the beast when it comes to the working world - the good with the bad. We can always point out the positives with the negatives but I am on this site searching the many good reasons to make a plan for early retirement. It's a leap for sure and up to this point I make sure I talk openly with my wife and make her aware of my state of mind. She's very supportive and I believe that we're taking things as they come, thinking that we'll know when the time is right. I imagine everyone is looking for the neon sign telling them when to jump. Right?
Old 09-23-2016, 05:07 PM   #13

Welcome from a (soggy) St. Paulite. Will it ever stop raining??
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 05:24 PM   #14
Dryer sheet wannabe

Glad my house is on a sandy hill.
Old 09-23-2016, 05:42 PM   #15
Dryer sheet wannabe

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.