Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-15-2012, 08:18 AM   #21
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illbuck2006 View Post
Speaking of rising expenses; we're thinking about have a child/children. From all aspects this is great, but from a purely financial aspect I'm wondering how will having kids impacts FIRE dreams? Is it possible to have children and still FIRE?
Yes, it is possible, some members have done so, and your goal to FIRE in 24 years should still be achievable. There will be contension between goals, and you need to remember to pay yourself first.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2012, 10:35 AM   #22
Dryer sheet wannabe

That's good to hear; I thought once we had children our dreams of FIRE would go up in smoke (j/k).
Illbuck2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 02:02 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Welcome to the forum. To answer your question, you may wish to consider CDs and munis (please note I am one of the more conservative people on this website )
Quote:
My question to the community is what avenues would you suggest investing in if you were in our position?
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 04:32 AM   #24
Administrator

Quote:
That's good to hear; I thought once we had children our dreams of FIRE would go up in smoke (j/k).
Read this thread. It may make you reconsider http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...oll-33640.html
Seriously, FIRE is not about kids or not, it is about having clear objectives and a plan to achieve them. Good luck
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote