Hello from Upstate NY-Finger Lakes

HadEnuff

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Howdie,
I don't know if I qualify as "early" but I am just about retired. I sold my business in September and as promised, I'm working 2 half-days/ week, until March 1, 2016, then I'm done. DW will continue to work as long as she can stand it. I'm 62, she's 58. I've been looking forward to this for a long time.

Among the things I'm looking forward to is getting the heck out of the NY State winters.

edit: I am NOT confused about dryer sheets. I don't use them because I don't like the way they smell. So I have THAT going for me....

Last edited:
Welcome. I like your screen name. We're tired of winters too.. but so far, so good. It looks like we may have our first brown Christmas since 2006.

Welcome to the forum. I spent many years visiting relatives on Seneca Lake, for some reason we never went there in the winter.:D

Welcome. I hope you post more about how you're enjoying this transition to full time retirement!

Welcome to the forum. I spent many years visiting relatives on Seneca Lake, for some reason we never went there in the winter.:D

cuz your not stupid?? just kidding...some people like it. We have a small place on Keuka and DW professes to wish to spend winters there. I could do a month of winter there but I'll need to get away from here for at least a month, preferably two...once she retires..

Thanks for the welcomes, everyone.

You're in Keuka? My mom's cousin lives outside of Penn Yan and I visited her and her family several times when I lived back east. It's a beautiful area!

We have a place on Keuka. We live in Elmira.

I have been practicing dentistry for 38 years. the practice was started by my grandad 91 years ago. I'm the last in the family to do this, so there are mixed emotions about it coming to an end.

My dad is a retired dentist. He came up with a marvelous hobby for retirement. All those years using those tiny instruments made him a wonderful carver. He carves and paints the most beautiful ducks you ever saw. The guys in his carving class laugh- he's the only one who uses rotary tools instead of knives. He doesn't sell them though- he says at his previous hourly wage, he'd have to ask about $25k each! Congratulations- he's loving retirement and I hope you will too!

I have been practicing dentistry for 38 years. the practice was started by my grandad 91 years ago. I'm the last in the family to do this, so there are mixed emotions about it coming to an end.

So leaving the business is like...(nope, too easy).:cool:

So leaving the business is like...(nope, too easy).:cool:

well, it's WAYYY easier than pulling teeth if that is where you were going.

My emotions are "mixed"...90% Happy, and 10% Ecstatic....the trace amount of nostalgia are so small the FDA does not require their inclusion in the list of contents.:dance:

:dance::dance:All done!!! officially done today at noon! REE-TIRED!

Welcome to the world of the unemployed.:dance:

Upstate was my old stompin' ground. From Saratoga to Ticonderoga to Malone. Gouverneur, Rochester, Buffalo, and yes Ithaca and Elmira Heights. and all points between. Wanted to live in the Adirondaks, but DW's better judgement prevailed, and we snow birded Florida to Central IL. I can remember 10 feet of snow ... on the level.
You didn't ask, but spending lots of time picking a new home is a guarantee of being happy.

Best wishes for your new life. :flowers:

Last edited:
Welcome to the world of the unemployed.:dance:

Upstate was my old stompin' ground. From Saratoga to Ticonderoga to Malone. Gouverneur, Rochester, Buffalo, and yes Ithaca and Elmira Heights. and all points between. Wanted to live in the Adirondaks, but DW's better judgement prevailed, and we snow birded Florida to Central IL. I can remember 10 feet of snow ... on the level.
You didn't ask, but spending lots of time picking a new home is a guarantee of being happy.

Best wishes for your new life. :flowers:
Hey thanks! I read all of your stuff. Love your cars, too.

Elmira Heights? Really?

cool!

thanks everyone...I just had a little bite of dinner with the staff, hugs, a couple of manhattans, and onward we go...
I feel like the first day of summer vacation, only I don't have to go back to school in September...
Awesome!!

Back
Top Bottom