Hello from western WA! Less than 10 years to go…

OnFire

Dryer sheet wannabe
Like many others, I have found this forum to be helpful and encouraging in my own journey towards FIRE, and I thought it was time to start contributing. As the thread title says, I think FIRE is finally less than 10 years away (9 sounds so much better than 10, doesn’t it?) Here are some details about our family: DW and I are both 47, with two kids in high school. We also have a couple of pets that we are still supporting. :) We live in a HCOL area in the Pacific NW but have always lived below our means. We don’t worry about "keeping up with the Joneses".

Of course, there will always be unknowns, but I think FIRE at around age 56 or so is realistic for us. DW (mostly) agrees. I remind her that this doesn’t have to be set in stone, and that we can make it more of a gradual transition from full time to part time to fully retired, if that makes her feel more comfortable.

I might share more details and numbers later. For now, I just wanted to say, “Hi!” :greetings10:

Welcome from the South end of the state or Portland-ish.

C'mon in, the water is warm and your only regret will be that you didn't retire earlier.

Welcome to our wonderful forum.

Hello from a fellow Western-Washingtonian... Seattleite to be more precise :)
Our timelines seem to be similar except that I'm you from the future. I'm basically 6 weeks away from FIRE and 55 y.o. The light at the end of the tunnel couldn't be brighter!

Welcome from the South end of the state or Portland-ish.

C'mon in, the water is warm and your only regret will be that you didn't retire earlier.

Thank you! Yes, "I wish I had retired earlier" seems to be a much more common sentiment here than "I wish I had w*rked longer."

Welcome from the hinterlands towards Tahoma!

Welcome to our wonderful forum.

Thanks! :greetings10:

Hello from a fellow Western-Washingtonian... Seattleite to be more precise :)
Our timelines seem to be similar except that I'm you from the future. I'm basically 6 weeks away from FIRE and 55 y.o. The light at the end of the tunnel couldn't be brighter!

LOL, hello, me from the future! Congratulations on being so close to your FIRE date. :dance:

Welcome from another Pacific NW person!
Hope to hear more from you, this is a great forum.

Hi from Everett! I was planning to retire at 55-1/2, the numbers said "go for it", but I got OMY syndrome and held on until 57. Wish I'd gone with the 55-1/2, as DH and I could have done our first big trip to Europe, plus some other trips before Covid hit. The big market dip last year would have been scarier, but I would have been fine.

You will enjoy this forum, lots of helpful and interesting people here!

Welcome to the forum....us young dreamers could learn from your experiences. Congratulations on having a plan and getting the better half on board.

Welcome! Use to live in Bellingham - I love that part of the world.

I am also in WWA. (and also in Everett) since the Navy brought me here in '94. age 64 1/2 laid off 9 months ago. Deciding what to do next.?? or do nothing at all

A bit west of you (and south) - well a lot west and south. But, welcome anyway! If we can share any of our experiences, don't hesitate to ask. Please keep us posted on your progress.

A bit west of you (and south) - well a lot west and south. But, welcome anyway! If we can share any of our experiences, don't hesitate to ask. Please keep us posted on your progress.
Mahalo! I've only been that far west and south once, and I absolutely loved it. I had been planning a return trip and then... COVID-19. Hopefully in the not-too-distant future I'll be able to visit again!

Welcome! I’m also 47 years old. I’m hoping my wife and I will be able to retire in about 7 years but you never know. At least it feels like we can make it in under ten years. The more I think about it the longer in the future it seems.

Welcome...also in your neck of the woods. 53 and going to retire this fall. Just counting down the days until I give my notice.

Welcome! I’m also 47 years old. I’m hoping my wife and I will be able to retire in about 7 years but you never know. At least it feels like we can make it in under ten years. The more I think about it the longer in the future it seems.
Yes, some days (like today!) it can seem so far away. When that happens, I remind myself to enjoy the journey and not become too focused on the goal itself.

Welcome! In ancient times lived or ratted around - Portland, Battleground, Kelso/Longview, Kent, Auburn, Seattle, Sequim, Clallam Bay and of course - Go Huskies!

Heh heh heh - have Sister and BIL out on the Olympic Penn..

Back
Top Bottom