Hello good people

Alectoris

Recycles dryer sheets
I stumbled on this site a month or two ago as I've gotten pretty serious about retirement and making it happen sooner rather than later. I've liked what I've seen and read so far. There is a lot more catch-up reading to do and a few questions to ask though. I do want to thank the creators and maintainers of this site for making it happen and also thank the people that contribute. It has helped my thinking quite a bit in a short period of time.

My scenario is that I'm 48 and looking to pull the trigger on retiring (possibly semi-retiring) at 55-58. My slight downside is that I didn't get a real adult job until 35. I'll be posting details in the young thread and hopefully get some input

That being said, I've always been a saver, something that my dear parents instilled in me whether they knew it or not. Thanks Mom and Dad!

Cheers to all!

Oh, on a final note, you folks are the most prodigious users of acronyms that I have ever seen!:)

i guess time is precious here , and extra keystrokes take time ,

saving is a good idea another good idea is investing wisely ( which isn't as easy as it sounds )

good luck ( and fortune ) on your adventure

Welcome, and best of luck with your goal!

I've been inspired by folks saving 50% of their income. That would stack up fast! I'm a slacker at about 28% (working p/t, age 65).

Welcome!
FWIW feel free to ask about SS, FRA, SWR, your DW/DH, CC's, ETFs, AA, FA, NH's, ACA and how it all relates to your planned FI and eventual RE.

Sorry, just kidding around.
Seriously, there's a ton of info here and good, knowledgeable people who give willingly.

Last edited:
You can do it if you make it a goal and act accordingly!

Right on.

I'm about 60 miles to the right of you. I was born in East Portland and travel there once a week. To me, it's sad to see what the city has become. It has some great stuff, like some great food, but the protesting and homeless issues have seriously taken a hit on a great city. I couldn't live there anymore.

Best to you!

Welcome!
FWIW feel free to ask about SS, FRA, SWR, your DW/DH, CC's, ETFs, AA, FA, NH's, ACA and how it all relates to your planned FI and eventual RE.

Sorry, just kidding around.
Seriously, there's a ton of info here and good, knowledgeable people who give willingly.

Yep, got a good belly laugh out of that. Thanks!

Oh I was using it frequently and still have regular sessions with it. At the rate of my comprehension and retention I ought to be semi-literate in about a decade or so....

so does that mean the list ( of acronyms ) will grow quicker than you can learn them ??

yes that is very possible

You obviouslyl never worked in the DoD or served in the military!

Right! Coming into the military, I thought how the hell... but I think all those military forms and acronyms just prepped me for this Forum in reality. :D

Former 30SW USAF. BIL is 179 fighter! Hooah!

My slight downside is that I didn't get a real adult job until 35.
Let me guess. Physician?

"Starting" at 35 is not a downside. Not saving when you have the opportunity to do so, at any age, is the real problem.

You obviouslyl never worked in the DoD or served in the military!

Actually, 6 years in the Marine Corps. Acronyms for everything!

A running joke was that there had to be some Major or LtCol stuck in some windowless office whose sole job was to create acronyms.

Let me guess. Physician?

"Starting" at 35 is not a downside. Not saving when you have the opportunity to do so, at any age, is the real problem.

Pretty darn close there.

I completely agree with the starting statement.

Cheers!

Actually, 6 years in the Marine Corps. Acronyms for everything!

A running joke was that there had to be some Major or LtCol stuck in some windowless office whose sole job was to create acronyms.

my fav was S uper H igh I ntesity T raining.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom