Hello, I have been lurking for awhile...

donheff

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
...and have enjoyed many of the posts I have read. By and large you seem a very welcoming and tolerant bunch so I am anticipating this will be a nice place to visit.

I am fifty seven, living on Capitool Hill in DC, and retired for one year. I had 31 years with the federal government so I am in the enviable position of a secure pension coupled with substantial savings. My wife plans to work for a few more years.

I have almost completely divorced myself from the world of work. I did a couple of consulting gigs as I got over my initial guilt at being so free, so young but I quickly realized that people want to pay me to do the things I didn't like when I was working. So, I am now doing volunteer work (currently teaching low income immiigrants basic computer skills and resume development), traveling a bit, engaging in several sports, and reading a lot.

I am interested in the usual suspects -- asset allocation and safe withdrawal methodolgies, travel, and lifestyle in retirement. I would also welcome learning what sorts of volunteer activities people have found most rewarding.

Don

donheff said:
...and have enjoyed many of the posts I have read. By and large you seem a very welcoming and tolerant bunch...

Don, are you sure you've been reading this board? ;)

Anyhow, welcome. Fifty seven, retired for one year and getting over "guilt at being so free, so young". I like your view of late 50's as young. Some on this forum seem to think any of us over the age of 49 should be issued a geezer license. :)

Back
Top Bottom