Hello - Last few planning stages to go

snoblind

Confused about dryer sheets
Hi, I found this site a few months ago from the Boglehead forum. I just wanted to say hello and thanks for the information I've gleamed from the site.

I had planned to ER as soon as I turned 55. It turns out that milestone has past and I'm still working, I got into that a few more months syndrome and didn't pull the trigger when I had originally planed to go.

I did however make my plans known to my manager that I would be leaving later in the year. So I hired my replacement and have been transitioning for the last five months.

I'm now down to my last 45 days and have handed off most of my job duties and transitioning into a support role.

So my only regret to date has been giving so much advance notice. Not because of my job, but that I've been second guessing my decision for the last six months.

I think everyone exits a little differently, so I just wanted to share my experience.

SB

SB, welcome to the forum and congratulations on your impending retirement! I imagined a transition as nice as yours when I was planning my own exit -- but despite 8 months lead time they didn't manage to hire my replacement before I left.

I think some second thoughts are par for the course, but I'm betting you'll end up sorry that you didn't pull the plug sooner :)

Welcome aboard!

Coach

What a coincidence. I have 45 days to go as well. I gave my notice about 3 weeks ago. The news is slowly filtering out into the organization. I am taking a bunch of vacation days between now and Dec 17th to ease my way out. Two days vac last month. Three days in Oct. Six days + 2 at Thanksgiving in November. One more in December. Just about every week is a four day week.

I started thinking about retirement in June. Made the decision in early July and then sat on the decision. Those two months were the longest months of my life.

It is only natural to second guess the decision. I assure you that you will soon wonder why you didn't go sooner.

Thanks, To clarify I'm 45 days out to vacation Nov 15th then I'm off till the 1st of the year. I come back for one last day in January. :)

Actually, to clarify my situation . . . my last day of work is Dec 17th. I am then running out vacation for the rest of Dec, Jan, and Feb. My first day of retirement will be Mar 1.

If it makes you feel any better, we're FI and I decided to retire in March, but have yet to pull the trigger. I want to continue to work, but in another, completely different line of work. Trouble is, I've yet to figure out what line of work it would be. So I have no exit planned yet.

They certainly exist, but I'd be willing to bet the people who retire with NO second thoughts at all are in the minority.

So I'd say you're doing very well indeed. Best of luck...

Back
Top Bottom