Join Early Retirement Today

Hello-new guy here!
Old 12-15-2019, 08:12 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Hello-new guy here!

I’m selling a business I have and will be working much less. Over the past 20 years I find I’ve become boring with few interests and hobbies, my focus has been on work and kids. With work going away and kids older I’m worried about having purpose/direction. I’m 48 years old. I intend to work part time for about 18 months then reassess whether I need to work at all.
Any direction you can give me is appreciated.
Littlekings is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2019, 08:18 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Find some hobbies.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 09:05 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlekings View Post
I’m selling a business I have and will be working much less. Over the past 20 years I find I’ve become boring with few interests and hobbies, my focus has been on work and kids. With work going away and kids older I’m worried about having purpose/direction. I’m 48 years old. I intend to work part time for about 18 months then reassess whether I need to work at all.
Welcome aboard, Littlekings, and congratulations on your career and financial success. I think your question is profound, and perhaps an under-assessed aspect of FIRE-related discussions. I suspect there are lots of folks with similar thoughts (including myself). And published literature suggests that topics like this bear on health, lifespans and the like.

I always thought if I were smarter or educated in a relevant field (psychology, for example) I might write on this topic. Alas, I fail both criteria.

Anyway, two ideas.

First, to provide a baseline mental frame of reference, read Frankl’s “Man’s Search for Meaning.”

Second, peruse websites such as Encore.org. I have never used it but anecdotally have read good things about it. There are others. As a successful business person; you could provide invaluable mentoring assistance to young entrepreneurs or start-ups; for example.

Again, welcome. And in my view, take comfort in knowing there are others in your boat.

Keep us updated please. Happy holidays.
WyomingLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 09:12 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Take up golf.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 09:18 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

You’re welcome here. Take a little time to get comfortable. You’ll be fine!

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 10:51 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Find some hobbies.
Next......
Old 12-16-2019, 04:02 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

What do other retired people do in Akron? Do you have activities you enjoy, like woodworking, painting, mountain biking, running. Volunteering is another area to look at many small non profits are desperate for good leadership. You have business experience you'd bring organizational skills and finance skills that many lack. It can be very rewarding, just a warning, done right it can take up lots of time.
nativenewenglander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 12:48 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Welcome!
Keep reading the forum, I have found so many interesting ideas, books, podcasts, etc. from folks here.
Have you run Firecalc and answered the questions "Can I retire" in the FAQ?
Try reading Ernie Zelinsky books and work his "Get a Life Tree".
This is a great place to learn and share.
Old 12-16-2019, 01:30 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacergal View Post
Try reading Ernie Zelinsky books and work his "Get a Life Tree".
+1!
Old 12-16-2019, 01:54 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Welcome to the forums. Without knowing you, I can't suggest any specific hobbies/activities in retirement, (except not to play golf ) but once you find what your like, don't wait to engage. Life is far too short.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 01:56 PM   #11

If you have no particular interest,that can be converted to a hobby, then open your mind to any possibilities. Some will be of no interest to you after you've tried them, some will be somewhat interesting, and some may light a fire under you. But you won't know unless you start exploring.
As an example, I have my passionate interests that occupy most of my time. However, I also occasionally go with a bird watching group; it's by no means a passion of mine, yet I find it fun and outside the norm of my usual interests. So, it adds some variety for me.
You need to try a whole bunch of varying activities and see what sticks.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 02:00 PM   #12

Lots of organizations looking for volunteers and especially those willing to rise to "leadership" positions. I have been quite stimulated/challenged by volunteering in 2 organizations since ERing at age 47.

-gauss
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 02:08 PM   #13

Reading "How to Retire Wild, Happy & Free" gave me some perspective. I highly recommend it. I spent so much time figuring out the money side that I neglected the "living" side. I've been retired a little over a year, and I may have had a couple of minutes where I thought I was bored, but for the most part I have to say it's heaven.

Welcome to the forum, and good luck!

Old men and women sit in the shade of trees they planted long ago
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 06:56 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
You’re welcome here. Take a little time to get comfortable. You’ll be fine!

NO (just kidding) check out pickleball!

Find some things that give you interaction with people, provide exercise, and keeps your mind going.

and welcome from buckeye land.
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 07:04 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingybear View Post
NO (just kidding) check out pickleball!

Never tried it. That’s that new-fangled cocaine, ain’t it??

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Also, it burns about 100 calories
Old 12-18-2019, 07:30 AM   #16

Also, it burns about 100 calories

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Find some hobbies.
Or some vices:

Sexual Frequency Poll !!!! - Page 6 - Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community
Old 12-18-2019, 08:31 AM   #17

Quote:
Welcome! Just because you're selling your business doesn't mean you HAVE to retire. You're still young, and if you don't have anything you are retiring TO, there's no reason you couldn't find other work to do. If you don't want to work full time anymore, maybe you could find a part time job that would let you ease into retirement slowly. It would keep you busy and wouldn't drop you into the great unknown unprepared.

On the other hand, this is a great time to learn more about yourself. Instead of being solely focused on work, try some things and see if you enjoy them. Maybe you'll take up woodworking, or sewing, or cooking. Maybe you'll enjoy restoring old cars, or motorcycles, or going fishing. Take a trip or two, even locally, to see if you enjoy traveling. Or maybe go hiking, there are a million destinations that only cost the gas to get there, and a whole world of wonders to see.

If you're married, spend some time romancing your spouse. Go for walks together, go see a movie or a concert, have a dinner date. You might find it's fun to get to know each other again after all those years focused on work. It could also lead to recreation in the bedroom (or out).

Sleep in late, just because you can. Take a nap. Ride a bike, go swimming, get some exercise, binge watch your favorite TV shows.

Start a side hustle or two. Make crafts and sell them, create how-to or inspiration videos and post them on YouTube, write a book, create a smartphone app or computer program you can sell.

The future is limited only by your imagination.
mountainsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 08:45 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats. Hopefully once you retire, you'll discover interests and hobbies you want to do, but had no idea of due to your entire focus being your business.
I'm sure you'll discover a multitude of things that you'll enjoy spending your time doing.

Cheers!
Cassius King is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 08:20 AM   #19
Dryer sheet wannabe

Cheers to you Littlekings!

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/14...g?v=1571507130
Grimelowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 08:28 AM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
...I intend to work part time for about 18 months then reassess whether I need to work at all.
If you like what you're doing, then keep doing it. You don't need to stop working just because you've reached financial independence. (Those are the years of work I enjoyed the most). When I retired I got back into things I use to enjoy: motorcycles, guitars, photography and more travel (I suggest a Viking river cruise!). Volunteer gigs are good, too.