Join Early Retirement Today

Hello - reader delurking
Old 07-15-2004, 06:09 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hello - reader delurking

Hi,

I'd just like to say I've enjoyed reading this board - great knowledge, although arcane at times.

I wrote earlier on Young Dreamers, but I hope to ER in 5-10 years living off of after-tax investments and then at magic date of 60, have a pension kick in - I'm 40 so that would be 10-15 years off the investments. Oh and the tax-deferred ones.

My inspiration was Paul Terhorst - not only because he changed the way one would think about money and time, but the fact that he is a world nomad - that really appeals to me--right now I live in Europe and am taking advantage of all the opportunities to travel while over here.

My second inspiration came with the book Your Money or Your Life - while I don't necessarily agree with some of his rationale regarding 'saving the earth', the rest of the book was another wake-up call to re-assessing that which is important to me and making sure my money and time allocations reflect that.

As I wound my way through various corporate entities as well as my Air Force Reserve stint, I realized that my temperament didn't necessarily match those of the inveterate 'climber' and that I can do things fine on my own, thank you.....fast forward to today when I track all my expenses, assess very carefully anything that I may wish to purchase and save like mad--just recently doing a lot of reading about Asset Allocation (ala Bernstein and others). This has also rubbed off in my personal life where my soon-to-be husband has a very similar outlook on money - both of us having learned a bit the first time :-)

In any case, I appreciate the information available on this board and even the congenial ribbing - thanks!

Deserat
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!