Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Hello - Retired at 52
Old 06-29-2012, 12:28 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Hello - Retired at 52

Hello every one I joined the group in Dec 2011 and retired in January 2012. I enjoy the forum and decided I needed to introduce myself.
I am married with three children 14, 16, and 20 all home schooled. The oldest is living on his own with our help. I retired from the IT world and had no idea I was carrying so much stress, what a difference!
Right now I am just relaxing with my family, going on short vacations, and
doing things around the house. My 16 year old said " Wow you really are retired" when he saw me doing a Sudoko puzzle in the Denver Post.
rockymountainhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2012, 12:45 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations!!! I retired in December 2011 as well. Still trying to get the hang of it but it beats the heck out of w*rking!
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:26 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Welcome to the forum, planning my escape too now in March 2015, IT has lots of stress, I have been doing it for 16 years. I live in Thornton too, what do you think of all the fires?
DFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 02:02 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Welcome! Retirement is wonderful!
KiraC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 06:11 AM   #5
Dryer sheet wannabe

Congrats... will be joining you in the retirement community in 32 days
Ron0731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:10 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFA View Post
Welcome to the forum, planning my escape too now in March 2015, IT has lots of stress, I have been doing it for 16 years. I live in Thornton too, what do you think of all the fires?
Thanks, Thank goodness it looks like all of them are under control in Colorado. We were in the Springs area and Woodland Park a few weeks ago, it will be a shock to see it when we get down there again. Whenever we go into the mountains it always looks like a tender box ready to go with one spark especially in the Grand Lake area since they have been really hit hard with the beetle kill... really bad.
Old 07-01-2012, 07:20 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Congratulations!!! I retired in December 2011 as well. Still trying to get the hang of it but it beats the heck out of w*rking!
Thank you. It took me a while to adjust.... and still am, it felt weird to go to the store during work hours but that is not the case now.
Old 07-02-2012, 03:42 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Welcome Rocky, and congratulations. My sister in law lives in Denver and I think they are having a rough time with the high temps this summer. Since health insurance is such a big issue with ER and this forum, what are you doing for health insurance, especially since you have three kids on the policy?
Old 07-02-2012, 11:20 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE View Post
Welcome Rocky, and congratulations. My sister in law lives in Denver and I think they are having a rough time with the high temps this summer. Since health insurance is such a big issue with ER and this forum, what are you doing for health insurance, especially since you have three kids on the policy?
Thanks BigE. The heat has been awful with the heat being over 100 and up to 105 for a week... ugh! I am sure glad I put in evap cooling when we bought the house in '88 otherwise my electrical bill would be a lot higher with A\C.

What to do about health care does seem to be the 1 Million dollar question. We went with the high deductable Kaiser plan through PERACare(I was a state employee for 26 years) which is just at $1000 per month, ouch! We have been happy with Kaiser in the past so we stuck with it, while w*rking I was paying about $400. So while finances are tight I think we will be alright.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:28 AM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Welcome to the forum.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:00 AM   #11

I also left work in December 2011. Transitioning into ER was the easiest thing in the world for me. When I left, one of my employees took over my group leader job. Now he is quitting to return to England. The Operations Dept head asked if I wanted to return until they found a new engineer. I said "Thanks but No Thanks". I'm having too much fun!
martyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 06:38 PM   #12

Welcome to the forum Rocky! Glad to have you. Unlike some of you newbees, I am just entering my 24th year of retirement (class of 1988). I've enjoyed every minute of it. Best wishes to you and yours for a very happy retirement.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 03:18 PM   #13
Gone but not forgotten

Welcome ! I am retired 4 1/2 years !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote