Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-05-2008, 08:52 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Janet, ours is a 1976 Airstream Argosy motorhome (Chevy 454 engine) and we've seen a lot of folks with trailers at the Floydfest music festival in Virginia each year. If we had the time, we'd go to a lot more festivals with ours. I've seen some very interesting "band buses" there as well! Sounds like you have some fun with yours--and Airstream people seem to be the ones to always set up the bar before they do anything else!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2008, 09:14 AM   #22
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Janet, ours is a 1976 Airstream Argosy motorhome (Chevy 454 engine) .....

....and Airstream people seem to be the ones to always set up the bar before they do anything else!
We have a tiny Argosy Minuet and love it.

As for the bar... um...
No comment.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:09 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

brewer12345, We bought a 2007 funfinder 189FBS last year and we love it. Easy to tow (We pull it with a Dodge Dakota) and has lots of features for a small trailer.
RetireEarly50s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 12:29 PM   #24

I'm a RV wannabe, that's one reason why I'm going back to work, to pay for it. DW is (justifiably) not enthused about taking funds from savings for toys. There's only two of us and we like each other so all I'm looking at is about a 19-22 foot travel trailer to be towed by a 1/2 ton pickup. I did go to a couple of RV shows and was astonished at the insides of some trailers. Like a suite on wheels. Also lurk on rv.net, it looks like a lot of fun.
Old 03-08-2008, 05:20 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just retired last week so its too early to tell, we bought a short trailer an 18 foot T@da, our first trip is next weekend for several days to check out a Thousand Trails campground. We once had a class c and downsized to a 1985 VW camper which is now passed on to our older son. We will tow the trailer with our Jeep Liberty diesel and we expect out mileage to fall from 24+ to about 16 when towing. We expect to take a lot of trips and not stay anyplace too long.
Old 03-09-2008, 07:48 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retireinmy40s View Post
brewer12345, We bought a 2007 funfinder 189FBS last year and we love it. Easy to tow (We pull it with a Dodge Dakota) and has lots of features for a small trailer.
We also looked at the 189FBS and liked it. We have never owned a Travel Trailer and are thinking of one that a regular 1/2 ton truck can pull (Chevy Silverado 5.3L) Do you pull yours in the hill country or just on flat roads?
Your Dakota has an 8 cylinder engine? Now that you own the TT, is there anything that you don't like about it?
dessert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 09:32 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

dessert, Your Chevy should be fine for the 189 FBS. I pull it with a Dodge Dakota which has a 4.7 V8 and I live in Arizona so I go through a lot of mountains everywhere I go and it does ok. It pulls like I am pulling nothing on regular roads but uphill I do slow down a bit but you do with a heavy load anyway. I love having the travel trailer it is a good size for just two of us and has a lot of neat features for a small trailer. Really no complaints if I had to think of some maybe a bigger shower and more room around the bed.
RetireEarly50s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 07:48 PM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

Ok, thanks. We also looked at the same trailer/different manufacturer. It is a Surveyor. Same floor plan and really, the same trailer. I think the surveyor might be a touch more expensive and a little upgraded on the small stuff. Only two of us will be in it at any one time and we think it might be adequate without having to upgrade the truck. Glad you like yours and have fun in it. We're still looking.
dessert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 02:40 AM   #29

I'd never be an RV purchaser.. but maybe you guys can point me in the right direction.. DH would LOVE to rent an RV for a period (2 weeks to a month?) and do a cross-country tour next year.. maybe more of a circuit, ending up at the point of departure. Any sites you can recommend, or tips for complete RV newbies? We're not huge outdoors people so camping and wilderness areas would not be the focus.. just an opportunity to see some of everything..

Do you find RVing gives you more or less flexibility than traveling in a car and staying in hotels? If you are renting rather than an owner, is it necessarily cheaper? Do you have to plan a lot in advance for places to park and hook up? Have you ever felt unsafe?

Thanks in advance!
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 06:26 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Ladelfina, we rented a class c last August for a trip out to Glacier NP from our home in Wisconsin. A class c is a delivery van with a big box attached and one of those overcab extensions. It is not one of the diesel buses.

We rented from a local rv dealer, and paid $900 plus mileage (.25 per mile at the time with 1000 miles each week free). The rental bill came to around $3000 for the two weeks, not including fuel ($1200!!!) or other expenses.
We averaged around 10 mpg. The unit was a 10 cylinder Ford f450. Very thirsty.....
It was a pleasant experience for a family of five, though a little claustrophobic towards the end of the trip. The rv was 28 feet long, and you really had to think about logistics when stopping for groceries or other needs.

We've since taken the plunge and purchased an Airstream travel trailer and pickup truck. It is all new to us, having always tent camped in the past.

Good luck!
Tandemlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 07:15 AM   #31
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Last summer we rented an RV from CruiseAmerica for a trip in CO and NM. It was a 24' unit, which was quite manageable and had plenty of room for two adults and two kids. They make it pretty easy to jump in and drive for the first time, so I wouldn't worry about yor ability to do so.

For us, the flexibility was great. With two small children in cluding one still working on potty training, driving everywhere with your own bathroom is a big plus. It was also small enough that we could maneuver around urban areas in addition to wide open spaces. Definately worth a try.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 04:33 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladelfina View Post
I'd never be an RV purchaser.. but maybe you guys can point me in the right direction.. DH would LOVE to rent an RV for a period (2 weeks to a month?) and do a cross-country tour next year.. maybe more of a circuit, ending up at the point of departure. Any sites you can recommend, or tips for complete RV newbies? We're not huge outdoors people so camping and wilderness areas would not be the focus.. just an opportunity to see some of everything..

Do you find RVing gives you more or less flexibility than traveling in a car and staying in hotels? If you are renting rather than an owner, is it necessarily cheaper? Do you have to plan a lot in advance for places to park and hook up? Have you ever felt unsafe?

Thanks in advance!
ladelfina
Since you have some flexibility in your schedule, you may want to check out Cruiseamerica's repositioning rates. Right now and again in the Fall they provide some super daily rates that allow you to do a week to 10 days and not kill the bank. These are usually listed on their website. You can choose a variety of destinations. This time of year most of them start in Mesa where they have their Winder reconditioning center. Fall is just the reverse and all the trips end there.
We love the convenience, especially since we have better control of food quality and quantity. Super for breakfast and lunch. Don't worry about "camping" as the RV parks will make it pretty comfy. Last one I stayed at even at a gym, pool and golf course nearby.
nwsteve
nwsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 12:32 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Our RV satisfies our Wanderlust.

We really enjoy RV'ing because every day feels like vacation! We really focus on just having fun with each other and enjoy traveling, not to mention I can't stand sleeping in a bed lots of other people have used!

I have a website devoted to our RV exploits. We RV 4 Fun. We have sold our house and continue to downsize to live in our RV with our children. I started it because I have found that a lot of other RV websites are devoted to those who are older and retired, as opposed to younger with kids.

I makes postings to our blog pretty frequently at We Rv 4 Fun.com Blog where we talk about the RV lifestyle in general. I just started the site in November, so I don't have tons there yet, but hopefully will.

RV'ing is not inherently "cheap," but people can certainly do it frugally. If you live in it, then gas is the biggest expense rather than mortgage or rent. You can buy a used unit for the same cost as a big SUV, which is a fraction of a new Class-A. Cooking your own food saves a fortune when traveling.
amy5708 is offline   Reply With Quote