Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-25-2007, 11:32 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
But I have to say, reading this thread and comparing it to 95% of the more recent ones shows how far the level of discourse has fallen over past 5 years. Maybe it is because I arrived, but Ted left.
Maybe the larger a board gets, the more it moves toward the lowest common denominator. Or maybe us curmudgeons just sit around griping about "these kids today" instead of finding new ways to bring up the level.

I have to admit that the quality of Ted's posts didn't remain at the lofty standards with which he started, let alone something approaching the meaning of the word "discourse".

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2007, 07:03 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Good resurrection Ha!

I do think it is easy to get curmudgiony after you have been here a while. We told our interesting stories. We learned most of the important stuff regarding ER and now only ask about TVs and iPods. We repetitiously argue about health care reform, public assistance and estate taxes with whoever new comes along, getting sloppier and less thoughtful in the process. Oh wait, I am talking about me!

I do think some of us get too testy and less thoughtful when the same topics come up over and over again. But it isn't a rehash, it is new for the new posters.

Our culture is in large part driven by the ones who post the most. If all of us who have been here a long time and post a LOT stopped or backed way off, maybe the place would "refresh."

Or not.

But I am addicted to this ungainly coffee shop, and still enjoy most all the conversations. From milk to isolationist politics. But a new Ted or two would be nice to have around.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 07:25 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Our culture is in large part driven by the ones who post the most. If all of us who have been here a long time and post a LOT stopped or backed way off, maybe the place would "refresh."
Hey, if you dropped the top 10-20 posters from the board, it'd be Greaney's board. With a lot fewer moderators:

cute fuzzy bunny
Nords
brewer12345
REWahoo
Martha
haha
wabmester
unclemick
laurencewill
justin
HFWR
Rich_in_Tampa
FinanceDude
Brat
TromboneAl
BigMoneyJim
SteveR
Spanky
lazygood4nothinbum
youbet

I brought up some of the elegant discourse from Ted's last post:
Quote:
So if you don't like my negative comments about people who want to drop out of the workforce, maximize their social security benefits and reduce their taxes, and then claim that they are doing the rest of the country some sort of favor, screw you. Just don't read them.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

Old 11-26-2007, 07:36 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Yup, Ted sure got testy at the end.

Old 11-26-2007, 11:25 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I brought up some of the elegant discourse from Ted's last post:
I liked the part better where he said we were all leeches and he didnt want to share his investing knowledge with unproductive members of society anymore.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Economies are dynamic systems
Old 11-26-2007, 11:52 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Economies are dynamic systems

and will call forth the response needed. The dependency ratio has risen for a long time and I expect it to continue to do so. If there is need for people to work longer, there will be greater demand for their services and they will find it attractive to delay their retirements; if not, they won't. Any problem we face is small compared to Japan, Europe, and even China. Fortunately investment returns are set on the margin, so as long as there are emerging and developing markets and productivity innovation, returns will be higher than those of a static or declining economy.
aenlighten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 12:01 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aenlighten View Post
............. Any problem we face is small compared to Japan, Europe, and even China. .............

Good point. In the future China won't just be a nation of old people, it will be a nation of old MEN.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 12:34 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
In the future China won't just be a nation of old people, it will be a nation of old MEN.
Oh please God, spare us that. I are one, so I should know.

Ha
Old 11-26-2007, 03:47 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

I see Mr. John Galt never changed his tune. Why would you post the fact that you aren't interested in a subject/thread...10,000 times? We would know that by...you...not...posting!

I agree with aenlighten. Demand will exceed supply, and prices will rise. Maybe in a few years I'll be able to work part time from home, be totally flex on my schedule, maybe they'll raise my 401k matching contribution? Thanks for retiring, boomers!
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 05:04 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurencewill View Post
Why would you post the fact that you aren't interested in a subject/thread...10,000 times?
A vacuum is sometimes better than some of the things nature decides to fill it with...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:36 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurencewill View Post
I see Mr. John Galt never changed his tune. Why would you post the fact that you aren't interested in a subject/thread...10,000 times? We would know that by...you...not...posting!
I forgot to mention that. I thought the posts in this thread were interesting, save for that idiot Galt's. BTW, I also think many threads today are very useful. I really should have made that clear. TVs and stuff are day to day things we deal with and I for one am an idiot on consumer data. I will likely remain so as I only get interested if I want to buy something and even then it is hard for me to motivate myself to spend time researching. Also I hate shopping. Yet I do like consumer goods, so when I go to buy something it is very helpful to me to check here to see what people on the board have said about the product that I am focused on.

Even so it might be nice if someone came along and started a thread with intellectual interest. I might not even participate, but I would enjoy it. Of course I guess that is what blogs are for.

I am kind of a creature of habit. I come here and if I don’t find something I want to read I will probably go out, or read some 10ks.

Ha
Old 11-26-2007, 06:05 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Even so it might be nice if someone came along and started a thread with intellectual interest. I might not even participate, but I would enjoy it. Of course I guess that is what blogs are for.

Ha
Now who would want to do a silly thing like that! I hung in long enough to get a Curmudgeon certificate, tell people about my ding dong sister who STILL insists the Pats are a good football team(even after last night). I mean winning isn't everything( I don't want to hear - good teams win ugly).

And in spite of my sage advice - I bet somebody somewhere will continue to read books!

heh heh heh - and no I haven't checked tonight's temp in Missoula or priced generic dryer sheets lately.

Pssst - Wellesley! Still love that one!
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 06:28 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
Pssst - Wellesley! Still love that one!
Uncle Mick, you are a constant lover. Ms. Wellesley is a lucky girl.

Ha
Old 11-26-2007, 06:58 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Shhh...dont tell UM that I've been spending a little time with Ms. Wellesley myself lately...

She's unexciting but reliable.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:04 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Beats making time with de Gaulle.

Old 11-26-2007, 08:16 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Oh, great, only 4900 members on this board and now you want one that posts with intellectual interest?

Like Groucho, I'm not sure they'd be interested in joining a club where they'd be the only intellectual...

JG claimed to be a MENSA member-- did that count?

Old 11-26-2007, 11:50 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
tell people about my ding dong sister who STILL insists the Pats are a good football team(even after last night). I mean winning isn't everything( I don't want to hear - good teams win ugly).
I was at that game UncleMick. It was worth the 20degree windchill up in the top section. Great game and the pats defence was just awful till the 2nd interception. But they got the job done - pats & wellesly what else do you need anyway!

-h
Old 11-27-2007, 08:51 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Beats making time with de Gaulle.
Yep - love to mis spell and mis quote that guy also.

Plus don't forget those those other great intellects of high finance - Yogi and Bear Bryant.

?? did this thread ever have a 'real' subject?

heh heh heh - it's started in my neighborhood - the Christmas yard decorations went up last weekend(except mine). Last year the dog pee'd on my lighted reindeer and he only half lights - I'm too cheap to buy a new one.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:19 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

I'm going with a hybrid system where I follow the advice of Yogi Bear.

Grab any picnic baskets you see, watch out for the ranger, and make a little extra effort to be smarter than the average bear...
Old 11-27-2007, 01:25 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Ah yes Annette on Mickey Mouse Club or Yogi exiting stage right - life was good back then.

heh heh heh - guess what! no Pssst - Wellesley in 1958! Only Wellington or Dodge and Cox. Before Index - the age of innocence!