Join Early Retirement Today

Help for a friend
Old 06-05-2007, 03:42 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Help for a friend

Long time lurker here, trying to help a recently divorced friend of mine.
She has recieved a divorce settlement of ~650K and is 45 yo.
She has rolled it all into Vanguard, but it has been sitting in a MM fund for about a month.
She's asked me for advice on how to allocate the funds, and is in it for the long haul with pretty good stomach for risk.

Anybody have any ideas?
Tandemlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2007, 04:21 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

If I was in your shoes, I'd have her pay off any/all credit card debt first. Not knowing what her goals for the money are, nor what other investments she has, but assuming she'll use this for retirement, then I'd have her put the balance into one of those target date retirement accounts. That would get you out of the position of having to be responsible for oversight and rebalancing as time goes by.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:27 AM   #3
Confused about dryer sheets

I believe that Vanguard offers free financial planning services for amounts over $100,000 (new money) invested with Vanguard.
debster747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 09:39 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I think anyone would need a lot more information to give a really meaningful reply to your question, msmart. Like when she might need the money, what her obligations and income it, risk tolerance, etc.

But in the most general context with long-term money and average risk tolerance, she probably can't go wrong with a target fund until she sorts things out a little.

Careful about giving this kind of advice - you could end up being blamed for the performance of the portfolio. I like the idea of referring her to some independent advisor to at least get started.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote