Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Help me get over my ER anxiety!
Old 11-28-2017, 09:44 AM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Help me get over my ER anxiety!

I'm 45 yo, my wife 47. We live pretty frugally - $15k/yr (not including income tax or employer paid healthcare). We've been contributing to 401k's, 403b's, 457 and Roth IRA's for sometime. We have $1.95M in retirement accts. About 400k of that is in Roths and 457's that is accessible before 59.5. Then we have another $880k in liquid(ish) assests (CD's, muni bonds, I series bonds). My wife has a lifetime tort annuity of $550/mo (compounding @2.5%/yr) that is tax free. Our muni bond pays a 3% tax free dividend of $600/mo. So that's $13k in non-taxable +$11k in taxable interest/yr.
My job has gone from good to horrible. So we are contemplating options.
We own our home, have no debt and no kids.
My wife retired last year - she was hit by a drunk driver while biking and has some memory issues, that make work not fun, and I figured we didn't need her income.
So should I stay or should I go?
If I stay, I make just over 100k/yr, have healthcare, gym and can work from home most days. Oh ya, and a really cool coffee machine at work. But the job is terrible.
cbslc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2017, 09:52 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You were pretty set 6 years ago http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ons-59056.html and look a lot stronger financially now. I don't know why you would hesitate for even a minute.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 09:58 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Why not put a spending plan that includes actual spending, taxes, healthcare and lumpy spending needs?

$15k/year is crazy low. With health insurance and lumpy spending, probably look at $40k to $50k as realistic.

If you have reasonable hobbies and have thought about health insurance, then you are probably good to go. Try it for 5 years. You could always go part time or find a lower stress job if your investments are dropping faster than you thought.

Good luck!
bloom2708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 10:07 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbslc View Post
.... My job has gone from good to horrible. ... But the job is terrible.
What purpose would there be to continuing to work other than dying richer? You have more than enough to quit. Just quit and spend more time with your DW and do what you want.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 10:09 AM   #5
Dryer sheet wannabe

15k is the average over the past 9 years. I have added some lumpy type expenses - new car, roof... So I do figure we need about $40k.
Healthcare is something I cannot wrap my head around.
To get a quote (assuming the ACA is still around), i need to now my income, which I really don't know!
Old 11-28-2017, 10:18 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Start with your 2017 projected tax return (or your 2016 tax return if yu don't have a projection). Take out any wages since you won't be working. Add in any taxable with withdrawals that you plan to make (f any) and then make any other appropriate adjustments.

You can start with healthsherpa.com to get an idea what will be available to you and cost.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 10:27 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Good God! $15k per year! My real estate taxes are $12k!

Does seem like you have the LBYM mindset and the cash. If you needed/wanted to go back in 5 years, could you that? If so, I'd say, give it a shot.
Ready2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 10:30 AM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My heart goes out to you. My wife was also brain injured. Retire and relish every moment that you spend with your wife.
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 10:31 AM   #9
Dryer sheet wannabe

[QUOTE=Ready2Go;1971105]Good God! $15k per year! My real estate taxes are $12k!

Ha, ya I just paid my UT property taxes - that was $2k. Another $1k for auto/home insurance. Those are my 2 biggest "fixed" expenses, right now.
We keep food expenses low by shopping frequently and buying more "raw" ingredients that are on sale and cooking at home.

I work in Healthcare IT, I'm afraid if I quit now, going back would be tough. Skills are lost so quickly, its hard to keep up when not dealing with it daily.
Old 11-28-2017, 11:00 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbslc View Post

I work in Healthcare IT, I'm afraid if I quit now, going back would be tough. Skills are lost so quickly, its hard to keep up when not dealing with it daily.
How about just going back and doing something else that you enjoy? I always thought that if I needed/wanted to I could get work doing something that I didn't hate. Not gonna pay the same but I wouldn't need that. For example, I know a retired guy that picks up new cars at car dealerships and drives them to others. Or a Starter at a golf course.
Ready2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 11:18 AM   #11

Leave yesterday. Sooner if possible.

Good luck to you both. Enjoy!
CoolRich59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 11:20 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

First off, very sorry about your wife... hopefully she continues to improve.

Given your assets you can live on a lot more than $15K/year. I know it's difficult to leave a six-figure job with benefits... I had to do the same thing this year (for different reasons).

You are in a position to do whatever you want for the rest of your life. If your job is now "terrible" then it seems like a no-brainer to leave and do something else... at 45 you have decades of healthy retirement to look forward to. There are millions of working people who would give anything to be in your situation.
“It's a terrible thing, I think, in life to wait until you're ready. I have this feeling now that actually no one is ever ready to do anything. There is almost no such thing as ready. There is only now. And you may as well do it now. Generally speaking, now is as good a time as any.” - Hugh Laurie
mistermike40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 11:37 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

You won't need to go back to work. You've got over $2.5M in assets plus that annuity income stream. $50K is 20% over your $40K budget, and over 3X your average yearly spend, and that's a very safe 2% WR. You're set unless you totally change your spending habits.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 12:05 PM   #14

You could for sure go financially, and then some.

And while IT/HC skills might wane faster than most, you have an excellent justification for a year gap in your resume if you change your mind. You won't, but that should be enough to get over the worry.

What I hope is that a year from now you're both long retired, relaxed, and upping that spending a little to enjoy some travel together.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 12:41 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
You could for sure go financially, and then some.

And while IT/HC skills might wane faster than most, you have an excellent justification for a year gap in your resume if you change your mind. You won't, but that should be enough to get over the worry.

What I hope is that a year from now you're both long retired, relaxed, and upping that spending a little to enjoy some travel together.
+1

I had a wife. She passed away very suddenly before I retired. It sure would have been nice to have had some time with her in retirement. You only get one chance in life, so I say make the most of it.

Utah has some great hiking and out doors activities available. If I were in your shoes, I would get a smallish camper trailer and enjoy your surrounding areas. So if you do retire, what will you do??

Check out the http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ire-69999.html thread.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 12:50 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

My health insurance is over $15K per year before credit...

My costs of DS in college is more than $15K per year..

My cost of vacations is more than $15K per year.... (DW spends way too much)

My property tax + house insurance + car insurance is more than $15K per year...

Heck, my grocery bill is close to $10K per year... and this does not include eating out....

I do not see how someone can live on $15K a year without living in poverty....
Texas Proud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 12:55 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
What purpose would there be to continuing to work other than dying richer? You have more than enough to quit. Just quit and spend more time with your DW and do what you want.
+1

There are risks on both sides of the decision. Most people just ignore the risks associated with continuing to work. Its what they are use to.
flintnational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 01:07 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

C'mon in the waters fine -
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 02:50 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
+1

I had a wife. She passed away very suddenly before I retired. It sure would have been nice to have had some time with her in retirement. You only get one chance in life, so I say make the most of it.
Exactly. My wife also passed away before I retired.
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 03:17 PM   #20
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
My health insurance is over $15K per year before credit...

My costs of DS in college is more than $15K per year..

My cost of vacations is more than $15K per year.... (DW spends way too much)

My property tax + house insurance + car insurance is more than $15K per year...

Heck, my grocery bill is close to $10K per year... and this does not include eating out....

I do not see how someone can live on $15K a year without living in poverty....
Its easy, no kids - so no college $$. Cheap house (380K), cheap car (2016 CX5 16k) mean only 3k in taxes/insurance. Cheap vacations - we mostly drive, camp and hike. Cheap eats - I cook most meals from scratch and base what we eat on what is on sale.
Health Insurance is number one on my list of problems and not included in my $15k.
I definitely want more time with loved ones. Working from home does assist in that endeavor.
I guess healthcare and future uncertainty (market crashes, interest rates going lower) are what are really slowing down my decision. Assuring I can keep 30 years of solid income is keeping from taking the plunge.