Hey all, I'm Uncle Drew

Uncle Drew

Recycles dryer sheets
Hey All,

I'm Uncle Drew and I recently stumbled across these forums when they were linked from another personal finance site. Looks like there are some good discussions going on and some very competent posters.

A little about myself...I am 34 years old and married with no kids (at the moment) living in Northern CA. Both my wife and I work and have the goal of no longer needing to work at age 45. I am a technology manager by day and a financial counselor in my spare time. I find great pleasure in counseling, so I envision continuing that throughout my life.

I fall into the payoff the mortgage early camp especially where I foresee the markets heading in the next few years. We have about 45 months left to payoff the mortgage on the easy schedule, and we could pay it off in as little as 28 months if we hunkered down and got it done. In addition to paying off the mortgage, Retirement savings, etc. are well underway.

What I hope to gain from these forums is to learn about others' perspectives regarding what financial decision should be made in certain situations, to learn the good, the bad, the "i didn't think about that" from those that have retired early, and to meet similiarly minded people that I can bounce ideas off of.

Cheers,

UD

A little about myself...I am 34 years old and married with no kids (at the moment) living in Northern CA. Both my wife and I work and have the goal of no longer needing to work at age 45.

I am also 34, also married with no kids and also looking to achieve financial independence by the time I am 45!
Welcome and feel free to share your experiences with all of us!

Welcome.

Just to let you know (in the spirit of telling the new neighbor about the speed traps in town)--if your "financial counselor" persona verges into salesmanship here, expect the trail to get rough in a hurry. But, I'm sure you know that already.

I know we'll learn from you, too. Welcome again.

if your "financial counselor" persona verges into salesmanship here, expect the trail to get rough in a hurry. But, I'm sure you know that already.

I know we'll learn from you, too. Welcome again.

he can always PM me for a map to the minefield.........;)

Welcome, Drew! I am sure that you will find some good information here on your financial situation and we are certainly similarly minded individuals.
I think it is not a stretch to say that this crowd LOVES giving advice! :)

Welcome to the FIRE forum, where Advice is free, Opinions are abundant, and Financial Advisors are welcomed with open hearts, minds, and checkbooks, ...;)
All the Best,
BWW

Thought I would provide an update (three years after initiation).

As of August 2010, my wife and I were blessed with a healthy baby boy. He is now almost 14 months old is truly a blessing to us. It has been so fascinating to watch him grow and learn new things.

As of February 2011, we paid off the mortgage of our primary residence. It took us 29 months from my original post to pay it off. We hunkered "mostly" down and got it paid off. We did go on a couple of vacations and we always celeebrate our anniversary in a big way.

We still have an outstanding mortgage on a rental property that could be paid off by the end of next year...if that is the direction we want to go. We still haven't decided if being landlords is where we want to be going forward.

The goal of no longer needing to work at 45 years old has slid out to 50 now. The baby boy was a direct impact on this slide, but I wouldn't change it for anything.

Cheers,

UD

Congrats on all the positive changes in your lives.

Don't sweat waiting until 50, by the time you get there, 50 will be the new 40 anyway.

Back
Top Bottom